Working in Topshop?

Amyamyxxx

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been lurking around here for quite a while now and just decided it was time for my first post! :blush:
I just wondered if anyone had any advice for me! I've got an interview with Topshop on Monday but I'm really nervous- anyone actually had an interview with them or work there?
I've never been to an interview before and I'm so scared anyone have any good tips for me?
Thank you!
(Hope this is in the right forum!)

Hello and welcome amy :flower:

I have never worked nor had an interview with topshop before but I can only presume that as with so many stores they will ask about your people skills and your thoughts on customer welfare etc, it would be good to ask a person you know who is already working in a high street store what their customer policies/service are like...something you could say in reply to the interview questions, don't be afraid to appear confident about your abilities...that's what they want to see, someone who will be an asset to their company, and be friendly...they have to consider that you will be working with customers. Good Luck with the interview :flower:

I've was offered a job there (at Oxford Circus) a month ago, but then I started law school and I knew I wouldn't be able to do it. They interviewed me three times-which I did find a little OTT for a sales assistant job-but apparently they get loads of applications. The first was on the phone, the second was a group interview (I was also asked to bring in one item I thought Topshop represents) and the third a one to one with one of the managers.

Anyway,it really depends on where you are being interviewed, but here is some help-

The group interview is the hardest because you know who you are against. I met all these people that were all dressed really individually and very trendy (almost too trendy). I even met a girl who was going to St Martins. Be confident and yourself, and make sure you speak up when you're sitting round the table, but don't go overboard, because you'll notice the interviewers (all three of them) getting pretty annoyed-when I was in my interview, there was one girl who went overboard with the being friendly with everyone thing, and when another girl noticed they had the same bag, she analysed where they got it from and the different types of leather, blah blah, to death, so one of the female interviewers got really bored, quickly. The girl was basically trying too hard to show everyone how "people friendly" she could be, and everyone knew it.

The part where they ask you to style the mannequin is the fun part. Make sure you listen to instructions carefully. Rush to the clothes rack quickly though, otherwise the best stuff will be gone.

Oh yeah, be at least 15 minutes early! There was a girl who was just a little late, and they wouldn't let her in.

I've got to say i thought it was all overboard for Topshop, but if they feel like it's what they have to do, then I guess they have to do it. My favourite ppl were actualy the interviewers. Don't be freaked out by them, they're actually very nice. I met one of them a few weeks later in the Cafe Nero when I was with my friend, and he asked me if I wanted the job again, which I thought was very sweet.

I work in a shoes shop, and this is only the outlet so the stuff in it is old stock, and they asked me about trends and fashions etc. so i would defently imagine them doing this for topshop.

impossibleprincess, what kind of questions do they ask?

What did it seem like they were looking for?

TIA.:flower:

I'm absoultely desperately skint and really need a job, do you think I'm too late to apply for topshop?

i think they only go that crazy for the oxford circus branch though. i heard you had to have several years of retail experience to work there but i can understand cause it can get so crazy there. but for smaller branches elsewhere, outside of london, i doubt you need 3 rounds of interviews!

^
I'm pretty sure you don't need several years of retail experience, and if you do, it certainly doesn't show.

I had an interview for topshop as a personal shopper/stylist but for those there is no pre-requisite phone interview. I had the group interview (which just ended up being me and this other guy) and then the one with the managers as well. I didn't end up getting the job (which suited me fine as I realized I didn't have the time at all for it) but I find that they are very trend-focused there and are really trying to make their staff more knowledgable about what is going on and they will most likely ask you about current trends, so look around trend-spotting here before you head to the interview. Other than that, Impossible's advice is great :flower:

Thank you impossibleprincess-
I'm only working in a small branch so it hopefully wont be as hardcore as your one!
But thank you for all your advice- I do feel a little better now! :P

I've never applied for any jobs at topshop before, but I know a few people who work in the oxford street branch and im pretty sure they do not have a few years experience to work there at all. Im really surprised actually that they interview you so many times? :blink:

Anyway a lot of the SAs at topshop seem to dress too trendy for my liking.

vintage_princess said:
I've never applied for any jobs at topshop before, but I know a few people who work in the oxford street branch and im pretty sure they do not have a few years experience to work there at all. Im really surprised actually that they interview you so many times? :blink:

Anyway a lot of the SAs at topshop seem to dress too trendy for my liking.

really? my friend tried to get a job at the oxford st one and they turned her away cause she hadn't worked retail for enough years for their liking.

amyamyxxx, I don't work at topshop, but my boyfriend has worked there while studying for his degree for the last 3 years. It is one of the bigger branches, but he only had 1 interview and got the job so I doubt you will have to go through a 3 round interview either.

The main bit of advice I would give you is to know their current stock inside out. Go onto the website, it shows you their adaptation of this seasons trends, the diff names they are calling the current collections and browse through. Know the names of the diff styles their denim range etc, little things like that will show you take an active interest in the topshop brand.

My boyfriend gets briefed at the beginning of every shift on new stock that has come in, hot sellers etc, and is expected to know which item of clothing belongs to which trend. Other than that, be prepared to work until 3 and 4am on xmas eve for the boxing day sales!!

Good luck and make sure you report back and let us know how it goes!

As with most places, customer always comes first

jennifer716 said:
really? my friend tried to get a job at the oxford st one and they turned her away cause she hadn't worked retail for enough years for their liking.

Maybe they have tightened the criteria for the newer SAs, because they have been working there from at least 2 years ago now. :wink:

I dont understand why topshop is like that though...c'mon its just topshop! :huh:

^ Yeah, but think how many kids would want to work at TopShop... they must have loads of applications, so it probably helps them pick the most enthusiastic and find the best person that will 'fit in' well :smile:

I doubt they do it because they think they're as good as Chanel or something, lol

I got the job at Topshop! :D

Thanks for all your helpful comments- it actually only lasted about ten minutes the actual interview and then i had to choose an outfit but it was actually really fun! Oh dear all that worrying over nothing!

Thank you Thank you Thank you! :flower:

Amyamyxxx said:
I got the job at Topshop! :D

Thanks for all your helpful comments- it actually only lasted about ten minutes the actual interview and then i had to choose an outfit but it was actually really fun! Oh dear all that worrying over nothing!

Thank you Thank you Thank you! :flower:

Aww, congrats :flower: :D

^Well done. I'm sure you'll have a good time working there and I'm jealous of your discount!

My sister went for an interview at Topshop and l think they are way over the top with their interview process and for positions which dont require such a long process, My sister applied for a stock room postition and for such a stupid position she had to go through loads of interviews and they ended up not giving her the position, l'm so mad at them because l find their recuitment policy sucks, my sister has years in retail experience so they should've given her the job, it was a stock room job for goodness sake, they way they go on is as if they sell precious gold, what l wanted to know is who are these people they actually hire, they must have other worldy experience!

One thing l have noticed is that all these major highstreet stores are hiring more foreign people, when non foreigners who have experience dont have any jobs!

while they may have some nice pieces here and there, their clothes arnt that good anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->