World of Costume Design

nay-k

Reaction score
Costume design

Is there any site existing about movie costume design with galleries?
Everytime I go to the cinema to see a movie I am wishing I could find good pictures of some of the movies dresses ...
i already googled for costume design but the links I found have been very old and not updated.
Or we could start this thread for everyone who would like to post their favorite costume designs in movies ...

I was just thinking the same. I think many films, especially those from 1900's-1960's, have beautiful costume designing. I'd advice taking a look at the thread of Adrian, who designed for example to Greta Garbo's films. It would be lovely to have a costume design thread.

I like old films for that reason- I remember for instnce Hubert de givenchy designed a lot of audry hepburn's costumes -

he did the clothes for breakfast at tiffany's, charade, and "how to steal a million" all of which I enjoyed immensely

Via the siite called Costumers Manifesto, there is a discussion group by e-mail. There are discussions of all types including ones about the costumes in present movies. The latest one I remember was about the Marie Antoinette movie. It's really a very interesting discussion group. The topics are sometimes very weird, like the methods used for protecting body microphones from actors's sweat (one method was to put them inside condoms) or recipes for blood depending on the use. Anyhow, if you inquire about a specific movie, they will often come up with a site specific to the costumes.

DJC in Norwich UK

What a lovely idea...! Since I am a slowing down Costume Designer here in Hollywood. I do think we need more highlights of some of our favorite "costumes" featured in film. Of Course you can begin by checking out the Costume Designers Guild site at: http://www.costumedesignersguild.com/ this location is for non-members of the Guild. I also have a site at: http://www.fernmitchell.com/ where I do show some my work and offer links to lots of other fashion/costume stuff. Hope that helps a little.

Is there any film , play , other performance that stayed in your mind because of the costumes? :heart:

Feel free to post screenshots,
pictures of costumes being made, studios, articles,
anything related to costume design :flower:

---------------------------------------

Beetlejuice

41xkde7f6cc3c0yh9.jpg

beetlejuice695499lt3.jpg

beetlejuice6e6d88jd3.jpg

beetlejuicedvdpicture03or7.jpg

188196056b8dffat0.jpg

celluloidheroreviews | allocine.fr | dongregard.blogspot | fantaghiro03.centerblog | mazoo.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
two more...

beetlejuicee720768qo1.jpg

beetlejuice724d98cn3.jpg

golivewire | lazydork

Girl, Interrupted

ajoliezp4.jpg

image017narsl1.jpg

girlinterrupted4wr3.jpg

image019narln6.jpg

imdb | angelinajolie |

Agatha Christie's Miss Marple Series

512285vf7.jpg
joanhicksoncs0.jpg

geraldinemcewanxt1.jpg

--------------------------

Tommy & Tuppence

222164moviejpgmovieresizs5.jpg
tommytuppencebk0.jpg

amazon | livejournal | mixi

Miss Bradley Mysteries

cast801f9fhk0.jpg

2drlmbm7fbfbcyf4.jpg

web.ukonline, epguides

----------------------------------------------------

The Avengers:heart:

avengers847879zc2.jpg
emmapeelavengersintro86xh1.jpg

avengers2853273te6.jpg

steedtara87036azo7.jpg

mortystv, wsouk, answers.com,

Barbarella
--costume designers: Paco Rabanne :heart: & Jacques Fonteray

10102276ajanefondabarbawr0.jpg

barbarellalurch8af638at4.jpg

barbarella8b7347ym4.jpg

623201818c117bla7.jpg

allposters,countrystore.blogspot, teezeh.de, imdb, filmtotaal

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so glad I stumbled into this thread!!!

Some of my favorite examples.

The Cell (2000) costumes by Eiko Ishioka.

I remember not even being able to watch the whole movie, it's that creepy, but the costumes are amazing.

ishioka02.jpg

1749__cell_l.jpg
cell2.jpg

eiko_34.gif
eiko_47.gif

VM._SY400_SX600_.jpg

VM._SY400_SX600_.jpg

imdb, graficacolectiva, newlinecinema, haro-online

Another favorite of mine is The Fifth Element (1997) costumes by Jean Paul Gaultier

256730856_845c78fc85.jpg

The_fifth_element.jpg
5e_047SkyWaitresses.jpg

1145571.jpg

Fifth_element_2.jpg

scifipedia.scifi, wikimedia, alicialogic

ooh thanks Spike! i loved those two films !
just edited my post --Barbarella's costume designer was Jacques Fonteray and PACO Rabanne ^_^ How awesome is that. fashion for film

Eiko Ishioka also designed costumes for Bram Stoker's Dracula, starring Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder

dracula3c9c060de3.jpg

07c6609bfz5.jpg

leather armour

draculaca8d26um9.jpg

curseoftheundeadc7cb18kd4.jpg

dracula2c9eaacog0.jpg

dracula27c98ad9nd0.jpg

wikimedia, sfpalm.org, itsvery.net, dvdbeaver.net

the fifth element was fantastic with those futuristic costumes :heart:

thanks for the pics guys! :flower:

yeah, the costumes for the fifth element are fabulous! I love the styling overall.

isaac mizrahi

designs for threepenny opera
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5343046

peachumlg1788527fx1.jpg

A costume design sketch by designer Isaac Mizrahi for the character of Mrs. Peachum. Click on enlargement to see the real thing on actress Ana Gasteyer.

Many of the cast members of this gender-bending production wear S&M bondage costumes designed by Isaac Mizrahi, and the spare set uses large neon signs to identify locales: a stable, whorehouse, the gallows. Elliot calls it a "theatrical urban landscape."
That landscape is inhabited by an array of artists from wildly differing backgrounds, from theater veterans such as Jim Dale to pop star Cyndi Lauper and Saturday Night Live alum Ana Gasteyer. Performance artists and drag queens appear in some of the smaller roles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->