WSJ Magazine June/July 2020 : Doutzen Kroes by Annemarieke Van Drimmelen

It's beautiful cover, of course, but Annemarieke is better than this! I can find this image on Unsplash, no hassles. That's how '101 Photography' it is with the washed wood setting.

Also, Doutzen Kroes is the last person I'd like to read about or see on covers right now! :sick:

Unrecognizable at first sight... that lighting doesn't do her justice.

A beautiful cover shot of Doutzen, very serene and rather melancholic. There's also a sense of peace, calmness and tranquility throughout with those other images too, which I believe is something we can all appreciate given our current circumstance across the globe. No complaints here.

I also have to add that the more and more I see of WSJ Magaizne, the more I champion for Kristina O'Neill returning to Harper's Bazaar, as Glenda Bailey's replacement - taking the magazine back to its heyday of the Liz Tilberis era in the process. Both last month's cover with Nicole Kidman and this would look fabulous with a Bazaar masthead attached.

The cover story is precious :heart:, Doutzen looks flawless on all photos & Tonne made an amazing work of this time (better than her styling on US Vogue on the recent days).

Ugh, what a fine editorial. Serene and monastic indeed, and extremely chic. Makes you appreciate this magazine that much more.

Just hope there isn't an interview where she shares her corona 'wisedom' again, it still makes me annoyed just thinking about that.

Nice cover and great editorial, I like the mood!

Just hope there isn't an interview where she shares her corona 'wisedom' again, it still makes me annoyed just thinking about that.

The 35-year-old Dutch supermodel reminisces about an earlier time in her life.

What’s the one phone call that changed your life?
My agency calling to tell me that I was booked by Steven Meisel for the Italian Vogue cover. That completely changed my life because that meant I was traveling around the world all of a sudden, that everybody wanted to work with me, because of that phone call I got when I was 18.

What’s the one thing you take on a business trip?
A business trip for me is just to bring myself!

What is the one thing you wish you had learned earlier in your career?
To not take anything personally.

What is the one piece of advice that most changed your life?
[From] Eckhart Tolle’s book The Power of Now: to really be in the moment and not think about the past and the future—which is really difficult. It’s still a challenge—but when I do it, it’s life-changing.

What’s the one thing you would grab from your house (after family members and pets) if it caught fire?
Picture albums. Back in the day we would print the pictures, and we would put them in a photo album and write something next to it. Me, my sister and my mom would do that during the holidays. Those are so precious.

What one age would you be again and why?
Maybe I would be 26 again. I would love to see my kids as babies again one day if I could. They’re 9 and almost 6 now. Time flies.

How would your one closest friend describe you?
Paradoxical, friendly, dreamy, a little bit crazy.

What do you consider your one greatest accomplishment?
Knot on My Planet [the elephant conservation campaign supported by Kroes]. I think it all made sense when I could use my voice for charity, for a species like elephants that don’t have a voice. I think that’s an accomplishment I can be really proud of.

Who is the one person, alive or dead, you’d most like to have dinner with?
Nelson Mandela.

Was there one time in your life when you’d lost hope?
When Greta [Thunberg] started her demonstrations and she really woke up the world and said we only have four more years, and then our window is gone…. If I really start to think about these things, I can lose hope. I’m also someone who just does not want to lose hope.

From what one thing do you draw the greatest sense of meaning?
I think nature. We all say we love to appreciate the little things, but I feel like the little things are huge and spectacular. When I’m in the garden and I see springtime and I see everything bloom again, it’s such a miracle, and we take that for granted all the time.

What’s the one thing you’d most like to be remembered for?
Having a big heart. That’s all that matters.

Source.

HOW TO STEP OUT IN STYLE
Photographer:
Dan Martensen
Stylist: Clare Richardson
Models: Lara Stone, Issa Lish, Fadhi Mohamed, Cecilia & Lucas Chancellor, Lara Mullen, Nyasha Matonhodze, Florence UK, Grace & Cassady Clover, Ramla Ali, Kasper Kapica & Nora Attal

wsj.com

The Doutzen shoot VERY MUCH SO reminds me of Christy by Pamela Hanson for Zeit magazine.

I know I’ve posted this before but it’s been awhile.
You can purchase the current and back issues directly from WSJ Shop
Some of the issues are on sale right now.

Dan Martensen's edit is better than any of the other lockdown editorials I've seen...full stop I think.

Like, it's not amazing, but the images look composed and well-styled on the whole. It's ironic to me that Lara looks fresher here than in any of her other work over the past years. And I'm so hopeful for a serious Nyasha comeback as soon as viable :heart: - great to see her here!

Thanks Zorka :flower:.

I know that no one really wants to see Doutzen right now, but lord, that editorial is gorgeous. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->