WSJ Magazine March 2009 : Bernard Arnault by Mario Testino

MissMagAddict

Reaction score
Source | The Wall Street Journal [magazine.wsj.com] | By Elva Ramirez

Excerpts from the article. To read it in it's entirity, go here:http://magazine.wsj.com/features/the-big-interview/being-arnault

Being Bernard Arnault

On the day the house of Dior is presenting its pre-collection of women’s clothing and accessories for the fall 2009 season in Paris, Bernard Arnault, France’s richest man and arguably the most influential tastemaker in the world of luxury, is—in what his wife describes as a recurring phenomenon—“obsessing.”

“I just don’t like it. I don’t like it at all,” Arnault mutters as he examines a red-rimmed cotton canvas bag. The shelves of Dior’s sunlit showroom are neatly stacked with dozens of purses, totes and clutches in leather, shearling and python. To one side sit $1,900 serpent-shaped crystal-encrusted sandals with 6-inch-heels and shiny patent-leather ballerinas. Yet Arnault is fixated on this one $750 tote. He tugs disapprovingly on a round plastic pendant on the bag’s handle. “Can this be taken off?” he asks the cluster of Dior executives standing behind him. He takes the bag off its perch and continues: “The black and gray versions of the bag are already bordering on the commercial, but the red goes too far…it’s just not Dior.”

As chairman and majority owner of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA, which includes high-end brands Louis Vuitton, Givenchy, Tag Heuer watches, Donna Karan, Fendi and Moët & Chandon champagne, and of Dior and other companies, Bernard Arnault is required on a daily basis to balance the business needs of his sprawling empire with the exquisite good taste those brands must convey. What Arnault thinks matters globally. His is a $22 billion company in a $200 billion business. “They say God is in the detail,” says Sidney Toledano, CEO of Dior and a longtime Arnault buddy. “Here, the boss is in the detail.”

One of Arnault’s greatest strengths in creating some of the world’s biggest brands has been to hire raw design talents like Galliano at Dior, Alexander McQueen at Givenchy and Marc Jacobs at Louis Vuitton. (He also tapped Karl Lagerfeld to run Fendi and, most recently, he chose ex-Chloé design chief Phoebe Philo to revive Celine.) He then gives them enough space to express their creative potential even if—as with Dior—the results can be a roller coaster of successes and failures.
“He’s remarkably patient. He’s prepared to take his time to make decisions,” says Anna Wintour, editor in chief of Vogue. “Bernard has a very strong understanding of what the designers do. If he’s concerned about something, he’ll speak up, but he’ll never tell them, ‘Do  this’ or ‘Do that.’ ” Says Jacobs: “I’m a loud-mouthed New Yorker, and I don’t fall into French formality. I’m very straightforward and people were shocked in the beginning. But look, I always say if we do a good job and we’re successful, he’s happy. If we don’t, he’s not. This isn’t a popularity contest.”

Last edited by a moderator:
source | wsj.magazine

The Women of Gucci

From left to right...

Valerie Hermann
CEO Yves Saint Laurent

Isabelle Guichot
President & CEO Balenciaga

Karen Lombardo
Executive VP Gucci Group Global Human Resources

Mimi Tang
CEO Gucci Group Asia-Pacific

Mimma Viglezio
Executive VP Gucci Group Global Communications

To See more go here: http://magazine.wsj.com/features/the-women/the-women-of-gucci/

source | wsj.magazine

"Diane von Furstenberg turned the wrap dress into an empire.
Now she’s trying to protect the industry from piracy. She wears
a suit of her own design and jewelry from her personal collection."

Rebel Yell ..... DVF: Mother of Reinvention
CFDA President Diane von Furstenberg on love, her image and design piracy

I wanted to be a woman with a man’s life in a woman’s body. It’s not like I grew up to be a fashion designer. What I wanted to be was a certain type of a woman. I wanted to have the advantage of a man and the advantage of a woman. Things don’t happen in spite of you. Or if they do, they don’t last. So I think you have to want to be a success. It’s a lot of work and it’s a lot of perseverance.

To read more, go here: http://magazine.wsj.com/hunter/rebel-yell/being-diane-von-furstenberg/

Source | wsj.magazine | by Teri Agins

Rodarte’s Soul Sisters
Kate and Laura Mulleavy, the sister act design-duo behind Rodarte on their creative world.

Most mornings, Kate and Laura Mulleavy wake up in their parents’ home, kiss their mother goodbye at the door and head out to work. When they get to the Starbucks in downtown Los Angeles, they order the same thing. The sisters then head to their design studio, where they sit across from each other at a wide work table, and when the design process becomes intense, they pull out a thin fabric partition to signal that they shouldn’t be disturbed.

In 2004, the pair began Rodarte, working on a big table in the family room at home. “We didn’t know anything about how to price a garment,” Kate remembers. The pair buttressed their own sewing skills with two experienced freelancers, who made patterns and sewed. Within a year, Rodarte made its debut with a collection of 10 intricate dresses that drew instant acclaim from fashion editors and retailers.

To read more, go here: http://magazine.wsj.com/hunter/the-partnership/soul-sisters/

oh what a great issue! i really enjoyed the article on Arnault and DVF. thanks for posting!

Oh woah, fantastic issue, MissMagAddict thanks a million for posting it all here, truly.

As soon as i have more time i will read all the articles, since they all look worth reading.I love Diane even more than her clothes, she is just lovely. :wub:

MissMagAddict thank you so much :woot:

This is one interesting issue, such a great read!

WJS Magazine ... Online has contacted us and invites our members to visit their site to view these and many other articles about fashion in this exciting issue.

Thank you for bringing this to our attenion, MissMagAddict!

Interesting article, now I've got to read the whole article on the site :flower:

Thank you for taking care of editing the posts BetteT... much appreciated :flower:

it's very informatif and interesting, finally i quite knows about those CEOs. thx for sharing this MMA :smile:

i know it's Bernard Arnault and not a model ...
but he looks pretty weird on this cover ...
except the black tie and his short hair (don't suit him at all ...) he's dressed very elegant and 'fresh' .... maybe because of this watch ...

thanks MMA and BetteT

^^thanks a lot!!
it's good to get this kind of insight to the business side of fashion. specially when it's the chairman of the biggest fashion group we're talking about!!!
i'm surprised to hear about the collaboration between Pinault and him in times of crisis.
i mean, you dont have to know that much about strategies, the prisoner's dilemma and things like that to be aware of the risks you are taking :lol:

Galliano, his ponytail creeping out of a black cap, reads nervously in English from a prepared speech to explain the source of his inspiration: Dior seen through the erotic lens of photographer Helmut Newton. “Ça, c’est beau—how much is it?” Arnault asks as a tall blond model stands before him in a $1,500 red double-face wool dress. “Will that sell?” he asks of an embroidered $15,000 cream-colored gown. (The answer was yes, in Monaco, Hong Kong and Moscow.) “Why not use those black masks for the ad campaign?” “If you tell me so, sir,” Galliano answers.

One of Arnault’s greatest strengths in creating some of the world’s biggest brands has been to hire raw design talents like Galliano at Dior, Alexander McQueen at Givenchy and Marc Jacobs at Louis Vuitton. (He also tapped Karl Lagerfeld to run Fendi and, most recently, he chose ex-Chloé design chief Phoebe Philo to revive Celine.) He then gives them enough space to express their creative potential even if—as with Dior—the results can be a roller coaster of successes and failures.
After reading this, I can understand why Galliano's genius has been lacking recently.

Many skeletons in his closet, but Arnault made the fashion what it is today, whether we like it or not.

He is the person who made fashion something profitable for many many people. Obviously, without John, Marc, Karl, Hedi or Alexander, people would not 'fall in love' with it, but he was the one paying all the bills and making EVERYONE see and appreciate it, all around the world - from Japan to LA.

I read a book about him though - he can be vicious, menacing and a total control freak in every sense of the term. Anna is not alone.

impressive business acumen...
Appearances aside and with the recent cut throat designer musical chairs, I am most interested to know which are the houses that are making money? which are not?
like i am sure not all the houses under the LVMH stable is making money?
versus the rest? privately owned Chanel, Hermes?
and individual designers? Theyskens (not having his own line though) and the likes, how do they survivie without major financial backup?

^ Givenchy is still not making any money, I hear, believe it or not.

Chanel and Hermes are pretty steady - I imagine Chanel making more. They sell a lot of 'products' like accessories, leather goods, fragrance of course, make-up skincare... I mean, these houses earn the most amount of money through luxury goods, instead of dresses/clothing for a long time now.

Dior is selling a lot of clothes, much more than LV. And obviously LV sells an insane amount of city bags, not that much luggage though. Shoes are quite steady. Dior also sells so much fragrance, make-up etc. So much, that it is one of the leaders in cosmetics. That is why couture shows still matter - much cheaper advertising actually, in many ways for a perfume release than endless print campaigns.

LVMH also owns Sephora and eluxury.com. I do not know how much clothing Fendi sells, but I guess their leather goods must also be thriving year after year with very successful releases.

Armani earns like crazy, Valentino sold his label, Versace is earning money now, and I am sure Dolce is doing pretty well. McQueen is not very successful though, in terms of sales. Yet, Gucci is behind him. Again, I am not sure how much clothes Bottega sells in comparison to their bags. I mean I am sure they do, but most of these brands, including even Gucci, earn a lot from leather goods. That is why Versace struggles so much, in many ways. Still there is not a successful and steady accessory line that we can talk about, when we compare the label to the likes of Chanel.

Also, it is said Prada is still struggling after some pretty terrible business moves, with Fendi, Jil Sander etc. Even though the sales are good, profits are still not soaring, I heard. But it is hard to imagine, since their bags, shoes, and also clothes, sell pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armanmkhitaryan
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->