WSJ Magazine November 2014 : Joan Smalls & Lil Buck by Daniel Jackson

HeatherAnne

Reaction score
It's finally here! Our Nov Innovators issue starring @lilbuckdalegend and @joansmalls in @chanelofficial.
10729398_747808585255671_2060149224_n.jpg

instagram.com/david_boots via Sensation

What a weird holiday cover. Joan's just standing there, and the guy leaps like a ballet dancer? Sadly it lacks energy. She looks stunning though.

Joan is so beautiful, why did they add this guy? Joan would have made an amazing cover by herself.

Lil Buck is actually the person who makes the most sense for an issue about innovators. He is one of the people who brought jookin' into popular culture and if you look in at any music video right now you will see the impact of that move. Hell, even Burberry threw some dance moves straight out of his playbook into their holiday video.

In case you haven't seen his Spike Jonze video with Yo Yo Ma, it gives a little insight into his style of dance. It is worth watching, as are any of the clips online of him dancing with Cirque du Soleil

The cover is beautiful, I enjoy the contrast between Joan's almost austere presence and Lil Buck's buoyant energy. It makes me think of a joining of worlds - on one side you have the classical ideal and on the other side you have something modern and fun. WSJ magazine approaches its fashion content from a perspective that includes design, film, art, dance, business, travel, etc. so it seems fitting that they would do more than just a regular holiday cover.

Plus the Chanel couture looks great!

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, the only 'buoyant' aspect of the guy is the fact that he's leaping. His expression and outfit is as cool and frigid as Joan's. Suddenly Caroline, Karlie and Edie's quirky faces makes so much sense when they jump for Vogue. That ultimately creates a mood as they exude lively energy which is notably lacking from him on this cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joan looks stunning here, but not sure the relevance with her on the cover based on the "Innovators" theme. Would have been more impactful with just Lil on the cover.

Joan looks perfect here :wub: (but I have no idea who the guy is, I'll google him)

I think without Joan, the cover will be great... -_-. I find her really dull here.

joan looks nice enough, but m le monde's cover w lil buck was executed better. this seems like a light version of that.

Joan looks great, all in all amazing cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherblazer
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"