WSJ. Magazine November 2022 : The Innovators Issue

matheus_s

Reaction score
Cover #1 with Anitta by Gregory Harris:

Cover #2 with Jeanne Gang by Martien Mulder:

Cover #3 by Chien-Chi Chang:

Cover #4 with Maya Rudolph by Gioncarlo Valentine:

Cover #5 with Jenny Holzer by Annemarieke van Drimmelen:

I open the thread ready to talk trash but it's surprisingly okay cover.

The devil works hard, but this woman's PR team... what does she do to garner such attention from the fashion industry? From what I've seen, her personal style is hardly exceptional. I've never heard a single song so I can't speak of her music, but it baffles me that she's suddenly appearing across multiple international fashion publications and I can't seem to find a single reason why.

If only the industry was as inclusive of musicians back in the 90s or the early '00s - perhaps we could've seen Grace Jones, Sade or Aaliyah themselves instead of editorial cosplays. But it is what it is.

Meanwhile, I just listened to Anitta's latest hit and while I can hear the mass appeal it's still hardly distinguishable from any other commercial latino pop. So my confusion about her fashion embrace remains strong.

And at last, to touch upon the cover itself - it's good in that usual WSJ. fashion.

The devil works hard, but this woman's PR team... what does she do to garner such attention from the fashion industry? From what I've seen, her personal style is hardly exceptional. I've never heard a single song so I can't speak of her music, but it baffles me that she's suddenly appearing across multiple international fashion publications and I can't seem to find a single reason why.

If only the industry was as inclusive of musicians back in the 90s or the early '00s - perhaps we could've seen Grace Jones, Sade or Aaliyah themselves instead of editorial cosplays. But it is what it is.

Meanwhile, I just listened to Anitta's latest hit and while I can hear the mass appeal it's still hardly distinguishable from any other commercial latino pop. So my confusion about her fashion embrace remains strong.

And at last, to touch upon the cover itself - it's good in that usual WSJ. fashion.
I think she pays everything, thats no reason for her label to push her so hard with no return

I gagged when I saw it on instagram. Firstly shocked to see her landing this cover, and second bc it is really good and stunning!

Im huge fan of her so obviously I couldnt be happier with her international sucess, and how shes landing one big cover after another. She's the next big latina thing for sure.

Wow! I love Anitta! Definitely this is her best cover.

She and Warner are working hard for that Grammy nomination, and they might as well get it since it's such a weak year for Best New Artist. Best cover I remember from her too.

I think she pays everything, thats no reason for her label to push her so hard with no return

LOL Her music is on the generic side, but that’s the standard of the soundscape nowadays. Just be glad she’s a classic beauty that photographs rather supremely with her serpentine form being embraced by fashion.

Musicians were by and large, not exactly rushing to be a part of fashion rags during those eras, so it’s not a matter of discrimination and not racism as some may perceived with the tightly skewed narrative of 2022. Madonna having adored fashion and designers since her breakthrough in 1984, only appeared once on the cover of American Vogue and once on the cover of British Vogue throughout her reign of the 80s— while she had numerous covers for a music rag like Rolling Stone. The general attitude was that music was way way way above the fleeting pettiness of fashion. It was an actual shock to see Lauryn Hill on the cover of September Bazaar in 99— not because “OMG, Black presence!” (because contrary to 2022-propaganda, Black creative influence and presence was strong in the 90s), but because she wasn’t exactly a fashion fan.

There were so many music publications back in the 80s/90s/2000s that they didn’t need fashion to support them in order to promote their music and image. The irony of this was that Grace and Sade were fashion models before they became music icons. And Sade remains the Greta Garbo of recording artists with how much she shuns publicity that, even at her highest in demand stage, she likely rejected any exposures in any fashion rags. (…Her last studio album was in 2010, for crying out loud LOL)

Frankly, music aside, I’ll take Annita anytime, any day, anywhere to seeing the likes of Lizzo and Cardi B, both of whom have absolutely no presence on any covers (…but I get it).

When was the last time an artist was constantly pushed so hard in the US with such consistent little interest from people at large? Maybe Rita? It's kinda funny because how much they crave fame is incredibly disproportionate to how interesting they appear to be but good for them!

People who calls her song ''generic'' definitely haven't heard her music yet. Maybe just ''envolver'' cuz that's her #1 hit/most known song. But she's a famous brazilian FUNK singer.
Now in the US market she's definitely becoming more and more pop, making a name for herself, but still, name 1 singer in the US (or worldwild) singing (brazilian) funk music? Anitta is the only one doing it.

I love Maya Rudolph ~ she has supreme talent. Margot Robbie is so pretty.
So glad they have covers ~ deservedly so.

Cover #7: Anthony Vaccarello by Juergen Teller

As much as I'm fully behind WSJ. Magazine giving Anthony Vaccarello a cover and awarding him this year's Fashion Innovator, I'm here for Margot Robbie and Margot Robbie only. What a lovely cover, love the stark black and white photography from Cass Bird. So crisp and clean!

ANITTA
Photography:
Gregory Harris
Styling: Edward Bowleg III
Hair: Jesus Guerrero
Make-up: Hrush Achemyan
Model/Celebrity: Anitta

WSJ. Magazine Digital Edition

MARGOT ROBBIE
Photography:
Cass Bird
Styling: Katelyn Gray