Y-3 Prices?

whereisthatsusu

Reaction score
I was shopping in Tokyo last year and noticed that Y-3 pieces made in Japan are about twice as expensive as ones made elsewhere. For example, knit tops were about $400-500. However, a similar one made in JAPAN was $1000 (not to mention a $100,000 coat...made in japan)

can anyone explain this?

import taxes ?

thats the only logical explanation i can think of.

Are you sure we are talking identical items
(as by serial number)
what might look the "same" may be totally different in essence
eg. limited exclusive edition made in japan, different fabric/patern etc.

from personal experience, japanese fabrics are great quality
still VERY expensive with prices get even higher by added taxes.
i guess the same applies to finished garments made in japan.

:flower:

Originally posted by Lena@Feb 17th, 2004 - 3:37 pm
import taxes ?

thats the only logical explanation i can think of.

Are you sure we are talking identical items
(as by serial number)
what might look the "same" may be totally different in essence
eg. limited exclusive edition made in japan, different fabric/patern etc.

from personal experience, japanese fabrics are great quality
still VERY expensive with prices get even higher by added taxes.
i guess the same applies to finished garments made in japan.

:flower:
nope, no import taxes as I was in Tokyo at the time

they were not identical pieces, just similar in style
it was just a bit baffling...

so those must be limited editions for the japan market, made locally :wink:

(i got a bit confused myself :blush: )

Japanese designer stuff can be really expensive... I have a pair of titanium Matsuda sunglasses I just love, bought them maybe 10 years ago for what translates to roughly 310 €. Really expensive at the time, still would be today actually. :ninja:

EVERYTHING in Japan is massively more expensive than in Europe or the USA , because of the cost of living , the strength of the Yen against other currencies etc.

Compare the differences in prices between designer items in the UK and the USA for starters . you pay ONE pound for ONE dollar !!! ( eg Levis are say 60 dollars in NYC and AT LEAST £60 in the UK .
Look at the price of the book we discussed , LENA :heart: . It costs TWICE as much in the UK as in the USA !

Multiply this many times more for the prices in Japan.

My brother goes there frequently on business and is appalled by the prices , and I've had students spending a year there for study and even with generous grants , they feel like paupers .

Ca , c'est la vie . :unsure:

KIT :innocent:

ah, i don't think anyone but lena really understood my question lol.

what i meant was, why were pieces MADE IN JAPAN more expensive than ones made elsewhere, FROM THE SAME LABEL.

and yeah...i guess they were just limited editions. thanks!

Originally posted by whereisthatsusu@Feb 17th, 2004 - 10:01 pm

what i meant was, why were pieces MADE IN JAPAN more expensive than ones made elsewhere, FROM THE SAME LABEL.

My point was exactly this :-

Made in Japan = very expensive , the strength of the Yen , cost of living , wages etc .

Why else would Issey Miyake make lots of items in Italy ( and have Naoki Tazikawa design ithe whole collection there ) ?

Why are a number of Yohji Yamamoto's mainline collection pieces made in France ?

It comes down to COST ! Like many items ' Made in Italy ' are actually made elsewhere , ' Made in Japan ' actually means very often - ' Made in China ' . I know that ' A-NET ' , which is Miyake's overall company , manufacture mostly in China .

This would explain why special pieces actually made in Japan would be so ' extortionate ' compared to pieces maufactured elsewhere .

KIT .

Originally posted by kit+Feb 18th, 2004 - 1:46 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kit @ Feb 18th, 2004 - 1:46 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-whereisthatsusu@Feb 17th, 2004 - 10:01 pm

My point was exactly this :-

Made in Japan = very expensive , the strength of the Yen , cost of living , wages etc .

Why else would Issey Miyake make lots of items in Italy ( and have Naoki Tazikawa design ithe whole collection there ) ?

Why are a number of Yohji Yamamoto's mainline collection pieces made in France ?

It comes down to COST ! Like many items ' Made in Italy ' are actually made elsewhere , ' Made in Japan ' actually means very often - ' Made in China ' . I know that ' A-NET ' , which is Miyake's overall company , manufacture mostly in China .

This would explain why special pieces actually made in Japan would be so ' extortionate ' compared to pieces maufactured elsewhere .

KIT . [/b][/quote]
that's interesting...

is that really true? that the "made in..." tags aren't necessarily always true? haha...am i naive in thinking that what you see is what you get?

and living costs in japan IS staggering...:cry:
I would like to study fashion there but am contemplating the costs. I hear you can make major bucks teaching English though, and they especially welcome an english-speaking asian face.

Originally posted by whereisthatsusu@Feb 18th, 2004 - 10:34 am

is that really true? that the "made in..." tags aren't necessarily always true?

i'm afraid, its true.. mainly about :rolleyes: Italian goods.

you should give it a try for studying fashion in Japan,
if you are managing Japanese as a language
and local's daily drinking habits dont annoy you susu...

it must be a true thrilling experience, go for it :wink:

LENA :heart: is right . go for it , as you will not have as good a chance again , I would think . If you've got the language , the world of Japan should be your oyster , and there's nowhere more interesting , fashion-wise than Japan . Just look at this :-

http://city.superfuture.com/city/city/selected.cfm?city=1

BTW , there is a thread on this site , from some weeks back , about the scam of labelling clothes , ' Made in Italy ' , when they are made elsewhere and merely the label is sewn on in Italy . :unsure:

Anyway , the very best of luck in your ambition . :flower:

Originally posted by kit@Feb 18th, 2004 - 9:53 am
LENA :heart: is right . go for it , as you will not have as good a chance again , I would think . If you've got the language , the world of Japan should be your oyster , and there's nowhere more interesting , fashion-wise than Japan . Just look at this :-

http://city.superfuture.com/city/city/selected.cfm?city=1

BTW , there is a thread on this site , from some weeks back , about the scam of labelling clothes , ' Made in Italy ' , when they are made elsewhere and merely the label is sewn on in Italy . :unsure:

Anyway , the very best of luck in your ambition . :flower:

thank you guys! :heart: it's nice to hear support when most of my family doesn't approve of the fashion industry :blink: but i guess it's all up to me once i graduate

and thanks for the link, kit :flower:

japan really is amazing :shock: i didn't know that fashion was so mainstream until i got there.
a pic i took of the prada building there...sorry not a great pic. it's about 5-6 levels high
f9959160.jpg.orig.jpg

btw...never heard of the label scam. guess you learn somethin new everyday...

i don't know.. maybe they regard Y3 as a brand from Europe or from germany just like Adidas............ in most case, it is cheaper to buy Japanese Designer Brands in Japan than in Europe and the U.S. Price should be around 20 to 30 % lower..........cuz most stores in the U.S. that carry Jap Designer Brands are independent boutiques ... they must jack the price up high in order to justify the high wholesale price, import tax, shipping, currency.....etc. What's killing is the sales tax in the U.S. which varies from 6% to 10% in most major cities/states. witheout sales tax.. i'm sure US will become a shopping heaven....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->