Yoga

Discussion in 'The Beauty Cupboard' started by Diesel21, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Diesel21

Diesel21 New Member

I just recently started attending a hot yoga class, and I am obsessed. I just wanted to know if anyone else takes a class like this and what results/benefits you've received from the class?

2. Atelier

Atelier Hoppity Hop

Maybe it's mental but I do feel I'm getting more of a workout simply because I'm soaked right after we start. As far as my body getting looser quicker, I don't really know about that. There's a funny Time article from a few years back that describes it as "Balmy Yoga" because a lot of studios fail to reach truly "hot" temperatures Bikram requires.

At home during the summer I sometimes crank up the heater in the room I practice to really get the thermometer up. I've only passed out two or three times.

The best part of Bikram is that its "inventor" sued because he wanted royalites from everyone using this style of yoga.

3. Sephora_Socialite

Sephora_Socialite Fierce Flava

Hahah..I thought I'm the only one who's passed out....

My first yoga class was a bikram...I had no clue what I was doing and I was in Death Valley temperatures....I fainted and felt like I put clothes out of the washer on my shirt was so soaking wet....

I like bikram once in a while when I feel like punishing myself :lol:

4. princesita

princesita New Member

Hi! I practice yoga (not bikram) but in my school they teach you yoga should be pleasurable not a torture. It´s true sometimes to achieve a certain posture or to gain some resistence is difficult...but it shouldn´t be painful. My teacher says our yoga is derived from tantric roots, meaning that it cherishes sensations and pleasure. She always encourages me to progress but challenging me in a good way...but no pain whatsoever. In the end you get so hooked that you end up practising every day and making great progress.
    I don´t sweat too much, but the guys do...sometimes they change tee shirts to dry ones in the middle of the class.
    I hope this helps...
    Take a look here, I don´t know if you can read in spanish-portuguese but the pics are great to look at!

http://www.uni-yoga.org.br/home.php

5. Diesel21

Diesel21 New Member

The first few Bikram classes were painful, you are working muscles and your spine that has never been worked....a few classes into it, I hardly even notice the heat anymore, I'm addicted

6. TheSoCalledPrep

TheSoCalledPrep New Member

It's a growing "trend"... a while back I had never heard of Bikram but it's been appearing in alot of health clubs. I haven't gotten the opportunity to try it because I live in a small town with two gyms, and they only have just discovered Pilates. :rolleyes: I really do think it sounds interesting...

7. eloes

eloes New Member

Bikram feels wonderful. The heat and sweating helps your skin, too (in my experience). It's definitely a workout, but it's still relaxing and refreshing somehow. I don't know what to tell those of you who have experienced pain, but I think that you aren't supposed to get to the pain point I think :unsure: .

I love it. :heart:

How much is it where you live, though? Where I live it's $15 if you pay by the class, whereas I think regular yoga at the Y is $10 or so.

8. oceanharlot

oceanharlot stories everywhere

this sounds interesting... but passing out? not cool

9. Jennika

Jennika New Member

I've only done it once but it was awsome. and it's sooooo good for detoxifying your body.

that being said currently I don't have the $$ to spend on one or 2 bickram classes a week when I get free yoga and pilates at my gym.

10. TheSoCalledPrep

TheSoCalledPrep New Member

$15... per class? Yikes... so if you did yoga 3x a week... $45 a week?

Woah.

11. eloes

eloes New Member

It's less if you get a subscription for a certain number of classes...but still, I definitely can't afford to go more than once per week (if that). :lol: That would be silly.

I live in a rich county though ( :rollseyes: yes it sucks), so I think that these prices are quite normal here. That's why I asked about the prices in other places.

12. Diesel21

Diesel21 New Member

I pay 10 dollars for a class with a student discount, i just signed up for a month it was 115

13. franny

franny New Member

I'm starting yoga classes, and I was just wondering, what does yoga do for my body, besides that I get more flexible?is there anything else, does it firm my body and stuff?stupid question, maybe...

14. purechris

purechris no photos, no photos

without getting too into it....Not only does it improve flexibility, it builds strenth, improves balance, increases circulation. Not to mention the amazing emotional/mental benefits. I won't even go into what it does for your internal organs and healing the body from the inside out.
    Have a great time with it and make sure to experiment with various styles. Each one is different and challenging in it's own way and you may fing one that works best for you. I prefer Bikram, or Jivamukti if I'm not up to the heat.

15. Jennika

Jennika New Member

hey Franny,

great that you're getting into yoga, I find the overall benefits both physically and mentally amazing.

Just keep in mind when you're starting yoga you're making your body do things it's not used to and there will be an adjustment time. I found when I started that I would often get nausious during and after class and feel either elated or cranky after class. That's considered normal when you start yoga because you are relesasing a lot of toxins in your system that can make you feel yucky while they are working their way out. Make sure you talk to your instructor about any questions/concerns. and always drink a lot of water after class

as far as benefits, I found my posture improved, my shoulders/arms looked sexier, my tummy slimmed down and overall I glow more.

16. fabulouso

fabulouso New Member

your body will be more taut and you will feel slightly happier and lighter :smile: happy doing yoga! :heart:

17. secondly

secondly New Member

Hot Yoga

Has anybody here tried hot yoga? I really want to try it. How intense is it exactly?

18. Erin

Erin Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quite frankly, I'm surprised the Yoga thread is so... small.

There have to be more people here at TFS that practice yoga. Right? I have never had a yoga class, but I've found that doing certain exercises in the quiet outdoors near the lake always felt refreshing... my own kind of yoga.

19. Ella

Ella New Member

I practice ashtanga yoga, only just got into it though. And I've never tried other types of yoga so I can't really compare. At first my body was aching after each lesson but I can tell that I'm already getting much more flexible. Also I love how at peace I feel at my yoga classes, it's such a great way to get your mind of everything.

20. fleur137

fleur137 New Member

i did yoga at school for sport...never really took it seriously but i do remember a few exercises. dunno what type i did but the lady was really realistic and nice about everything especially when it came to that time of the month...
    anyway, the passing out thing sounds freaky...