Yoga

Can anyone recommend some really good yoga videos to buy?

TheKiwi said:
Can anyone recommend some really good yoga videos to buy?

Have you done yoga before? If not, get Basic Yoga Workout for Dummies. It's $12.99 on Amazon and you can usually find it at Target and other places for even less.

Yes there are plenty of "better" DVDs out there--not to mention prettier, i.e., shot in amazing locations with cool ambient music--but if you are just starting out stick to this.

If you like it, you should really take a class at a good place to correct your form. In fact you could take a class before buying any DVD. Don't sign up for multiple classes, just do one or two and see how it goes.

On the other hand if you are experienced the Namaste DVDs are excellent.

Thank you! :flower: I wouldn't say I'm experienced, but I have done yoga classes a few times and I'm very flexible. I think I'm going to try the Namaste DVDS... They look amazing!

Has anybody noticed a difference in their height? Some people claim to get a bit taller when using yoga. I regained a 1/2 in., but it was a 1/2 inch I'd "lost" after a car accident had messed up my back.

yogurt77 said:
i once did bikram yoga for a month during my summer vacation, i must say it felt soooo good to see water dripping all over my body, but my bro-in-law found some articles on the web saying the high temperature in a bikram room will age your skin and even organs, though i am not sure whether there's any proof of it.

the detox effect is sooo great, i got pimples all over my face after the very first class, my coach said that's all the toxins coming out of my body. of course they disappeared after two weeks like nothing has ever happened. i think u are not supposed to do more than three bikram yogas a week, btw.

I did Bikram regularly for like a couple of months and my face broke out too! With all the sweating and the toxins coming out, I just don't understand why some people in my yoga classes wore makeup! :yuk: But maybe thats just me..
I really like doing Bikram actually. I was in a car accident a couple years ago and my doctor suggested I do yoga for my back and it actually has helped a lot.

And palyxa I felt like i grew an inch or two also! But I never actually measured to see if i did..lol!

I'm planning on buying some yoga videos because I'm way to shy to be doing yoga with many people around. Do those videos work though?

palyxa said:
Has anybody noticed a difference in their height? Some people claim to get a bit taller when using yoga. I regained a 1/2 in., but it was a 1/2 inch I'd "lost" after a car accident had messed up my back.

This "height gain" you speak of can be attributed to better posture through yoga.

I enjoy doing yoga, it really helps me relax, focus and it lifts my spirits. I think this is definately a keep for 2007.

I am 12 years old and do Ashtanga Yoga at lunchtime on fridays. I have been doing it for a bit, so I hope to do it for very long! What is the hardest type of yoga?

love my ashtanga yoga :heart:
and boy is it a workout !

lucinda may- i'm in sydney too...
curious to see which places you recommend ? :flower:

havent heard of him chanel...
will check it out- thx...

i'm going to an iyengar class on monday...
i actually dont know a whole lot about it.....
i think it is slower in pace than ashtanga...
does anyone practice it ?

I finally did a perfect shoulderstand the other day, and I was very happy with myself. It's all about shifting weight you know.. :P

check him out :woot:

29.JPG

2.JPG

yogiwade

i just downloaded one-
this guy is very funny....

"this is called standing up and bending over.....thats all it is"
haha.....:lol:

"you'll soon learn that this is one of the most hated positions in all of yoga...."

i love it :heart:

I was wondering if it is safe to practice yoga on a wooden floor without a mat? Or is it more beneficial to use mats and straps and blocks and other yoga accessories?

Tushka_BeLLa said:
I was wondering if it is safe to practice yoga on a wooden floor without a mat? Or is it more beneficial to use mats and straps and blocks and other yoga accessories?
I second what Kushie says, a yoga sticky mat is a must. It provides cushioning and keeps you from slipping and sliding. Mats are available in different thicknesses and you can even use one on top of another for extra padding but one should be enough.

Other equipment isn't necessary.

However, there are items that can be helpful but only if used correctly. A yoga blanket is great for tucking under your sitbones. It makes things more comfortable and keeps your back straight. Straps and blocks can be useful for achieving and maintaining good form but that assumes you know what good form is in the first place. Props aren't for forcing your body into something it's not ready to do yet.

i try to do ashtanga three, max four, times per week. what i love about it is that because it's the same postures in the same sequence, you really see improvement (though one or two positions in the primary series are difficult so that can be routinely disconcerting). i believe ashtanga really is the hardest form of yoga-- to me bikram is sweaty but the postures aren't uniformly challenging. but i can see the appeal of bikram on a cold winter day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->