Yohji Yamamoto F/W 2019.20 Paris

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by vogue28, Mar 1, 2019.

1. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

VOGUE.COM

2. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

VOGUE.COM

Perickles likes this.
  3. dontbeadrag

dontbeadrag Active Member

Wow, I usually love Yohji's vision on things, but this is just a pure throwaway, not to say very dated.

jeanclaude likes this.
  4. Not Plain Jane

Not Plain Jane Well-Known Member

the white outfit with the charcoal smears is my absolute favourite :heart:

vogue28 and Perickles like this.
  5. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

The details...are amazing! Love the fringe, ribbons, buttons over the layered black coats.

Only thing I'm not a fan of is the graffiti-ed, chalk embellished pieces.

Perickles likes this.
  6. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

You can't be dated if you're just being you within a context created by yourself.

Also is that a jumbo ziplock in his pocket?

(and yes boots! :heart:)

Perickles and HeatherAnne like this.
  7. dontbeadrag

Jean Paul Gaultier and Rei Kawakubo are also “themselves”, but don’t tell me they are contemporary and desired now.
    True or not true to yourself, in fashion you are basic and always relevant like Ralph Lauren or Armani, or fashionable and hot like Gucci, LV or Loewe, or dated.
    Nobody said Yohji is not unique or not true to his self.

jeanclaude likes this.
  8. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

lol...
    Armani is completely irrelevant and Comme des garçons has never been hotter...

somebody is living in an alternative universe...

:rofl:

9. SophiaVB

SophiaVB Member

I'd rather have this than Gucci LV and Loewe

10. Uemarasan

Uemarasan Member

Sounds like an oversimplification.

Unfortunately, you forgot a fourth category: no f*s given. In other words: design integrity. Yohji is among the very few who belong in that category.

Also, in what strange world is Comme des Garçons NOT contemporary and desired? Most fashion-conscious types in Generation Z LOVE Comme...

Anyway, I thought this was a very beautiful and classic collection.

#10 Uemarasan, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    EstefaniaAbaddon and MulletProof like this.
  11. Uemarasan

Uemarasan Member

In fact, only older millenials and those of the "I'm a cool mom" variety actually think Gucci and Loewe are "hot" and "fashionable". Or the fashion victims.

Perickles likes this.
  12. dontbeadrag

It can be said exactly the same about anyone, as CdG and Yohji clientele are just pretentious 'oh look at me I am so properly and truly fashionable, I try to be so different from the fashion crowd'.

And I am sorry to disappoint you, but everyone gives a f* in fashion, or otherwise your clothes won't sell.

Truly fashionable and stylish people do not LOVE Comme and etc, but love separate pieces from ALL designers and know how to mix them properly to look good and unique.

jeanclaude likes this.
  13. Perickles

Perickles Well-Known Member

Armani relevant? LV Hot? Yamamoto dated? Girl, bye!

matheus_s likes this.
  14. Uemarasan

Uemarasan Member

Whenever the criticism "pretentious" is trotted out, it's usually a huge red flag. Nothing wrong with human beings using their brains.

Also, the hardcore CdG and Yohji clientele would never think of themselves as "fashionable". They don't even like "fashion". They like design and usually prefer other non-fashion related interests. That's the major difference.

By the way, I hate to tell you this, but you just undermined and contradicted your entire argument in this thread...

#14 Uemarasan, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  15. dontbeadrag

And any other criticism is fine, except pretentious? What a “sound” and absolutely “logical” statement!

Interestingly, you find yourself responsible for representing all CdG and Yohji clientele, I am lal ears to see how you can back up that you opinion is so representative! So, therefore, I still claim that I THINK they are mostly pretentious “oh I am so different and I am very into fashion, but I will pretend I don’t give a damn” crowd.

So no, I nowhere contradicted myself, I just said my own point of view and it is your right to agree or not to agree.

16. EstefaniaAbaddon

EstefaniaAbaddon Well-Known Member

This whole "Yohji is fashionable" conversation is giving me major headaches. Of course the people who buy Yohji care about what they are wearing: they are spending thousands on clothing, aren't they? But that is completely different from being "fashionable". This is not a trend. Yohji isn't trendy. He despises trends and so does his muse because they only care about about quality and exquisite design. The common Yohji buyer doesn't go around changing their looks every day depending on the latest fad. So no, they are not "fashionable". And it sells, just like Rick Owens sells, because their are auteurs with cult status. Fashion needs them.

And to call clothing pretentious is the ultimate pretentiousness.

17. mistress_f

mistress_f Hell on Heels

Divine, as usual. I'd honestly have Yohji's worst collection over whatever hideous, tacky, ridiculous flavor of the month is hot these days. Neither he or Rei ever cared about being trendy, and that's their timeless appeal.

Like, imgbox - fast, simple image host this entire look is better than 90% of what i've seen vomited on runways in the past month.

SophiaVB and Machinegumm like this.
  18. Uemarasan

Uemarasan Member

Yes, I buy Yohji, and I am great friends with quite a few people who have bought Yohji since the 80s. I have a pretty good grasp of the kind of people they are. I don't think you do.

You are starting to put words into my mouth and resorting to ad hominem fallacies, so that's a pretty clear sign that this conversation has run its course. Thanks anyway.

19. dontbeadrag

I can also tell I have a lot of people in my circles who are Yohji's clients for quite some time, so I have no idea how this would make any of us any more trustworthy.

Well, that is exactly what you did just now and as I said - people are entitled to have their own opinion.

Thank you.

20. Uemarasan

Uemarasan Member

Exactly. And whenever "pretentious" is tossed around carelessly, it just sounds like a synonym for "intelligent" or "idiosyncratic". Actually, it's those consumers who are obsessed with trends, desirability, and status who strike me as the truly pretentious. Oh well.

I'd love to see the details in this collection. The backs of these outfits are, as always, exceedingly lovely. Compared to last season, the restraint in this collection seems almost sober and reflective, the glimpses and bursts of beauty, color, and light like someone coming to terms with mortality and re-discovering the splendor of its transience.