Your Winter Coats for F/W 2012

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
what do you look for in a winter coat and what will you be buying for the fall? or are you re-using your coat from last year?

here in new england, the fall coats are already out in stores.

i remember waiting until october a few years ago to look for a winter coat and i'm finding myself SOL (sh!t out of luck) - the pickings were slim and my favorite retailers had already moved on to other non seasonable items.

last years winter was unseasonable warm here. (this is probably the new norm - better get used to it) and i was able to wear a thinner trench style coat on non-cold days preceding november.

on colder days i ended up re-using my +J jil sander for uniqlo coat. (it was a bit like a chesterfield jacket) it was miraculous that it wasnt trashed beyond all recognition (keep in mind that us new englanders usually have to wear our winter coats for 7 months out of the year:(cry:

yesterday i purchased a wool/alpaca/mohair mix jacket with leather sleeves from zara which i am going to wear until it gets below freezing. (i also have a new thin wool l'wren scott coat that i am going to supplement this with)

i am not sure what i'm going to wear when it gets below freezing (although the leather sleeves on the zara jacket are going to good at blocking out the wind) i may just end up dry cleaning my +J uniqlo jacket and wearing it again.

which kind of coats do you buy? do people that live in rainier locales (ie netherlands and belgium) have to buy winter coats with hoods?

(sorry for this thread's titles is a bit northern hemisphere biased)
photo from zara.com

Attachments

• zara1.jpg
    zara1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 0
bought this rick owens new for 70% off, though it's from the fall 2011 collection. i have a black RO leather moto from 2007 so i'm stoked to add a shearling to the collection. pic. rickowens.com

Attachments

• dark dust shearling rick owens website jpg.jpg
    dark dust shearling rick owens website jpg.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
img-thing

Polyvore.com (via shopsheboutique.com)

This is my current wool coat-I picked it up from a Mackage sample sale 2 years ago. Unfortunately, the gold chain on my bag made it pill quite badly on the hip. I'm debating on replacing it this year.

emma peel - That coat is GORGEOUS. Is it still available on sale??

^ that's sleek too!
i got the last RO shipped to me from csee boutique in england. i'd been eyeing one like this in black/brown for years, but it's currently $4450 (!) at luisaviaroma. that's where i'd gotten my RO biker back in the day (when the euro wasn't so strong and it was a deal!). so the dark dust at around a grand was a godsend! pic luisaviaroma.com

Attachments

• rick owens shearling 3 jpg.jpg
    rick owens shearling 3 jpg.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1
I'll be wearing my Burberry wool-lined trench that is 25 years old this year :lol: The only part of it that's really showing wear is the leather-covered buckles. That, and the moths ate the removable wool collar, but I just took it off and no one knows it was supposed to be there.

I also have an uncut corduroy coat that reads as black velvet that I'll be wearing again too. I might possibly buy a knit cape to add to the collection. I do need to replace my gloves ... I got an inexpensive pair last time and it shows :ninja: I'd forgotten about that ... Today it's cool here, dipped below 80 due to a series of rainstorms. But hardly glove weather yet ...

Where did you score the L'Wren Scott?

Not sure what I should be looking for this year, last year it was my trusty IM Etoile Azuli coat but I kinda want something in more of a parka style. My friend lost my favorite green parka coat with the fur hood last year so I'm in the market for a new one :( Anyone know a good place to find a nice men's one?

^ The new Bazaar has a page of parkas ... they had Barbour and Burberry, so you might try there ...

Where did you score the L'Wren Scott?

i got the coat on ebay. it also helped that this summer was hotter even than Dust Bowl summer in the 30's, as monstrous as that sounds...no one was even thinking of buying cold weather items so less competition on ebay. here are some photos.
ebay

i can't buy expensive gloves because i'm likely to lose them. i usually buy two or three pairs of the same cheaper gloves just in case i lose one or two of them.

Attachments

• lwren2.jpg
    lwren2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 4
  • lwren3.jpg
    lwren3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1
I like this thread! Coats are my weakness, I live in ireland so we have to content with long winters. I definitly wear coats for 6-7 months of the year so dont feel (too) guilty about having a large collection :D

My work coats vary between the Barbour Fusilier black wool coat from last winter and a camel double breasted coat with rabbit fur collar and cuffs (very cold weather). I also have the Stella MCC tuxedo coat from her first collection for H&M. That coat was amazing quality - its a cashmere blend and hardly shows any signes of age. For more casual wear I have the Alexa C. for Madewell coat (charcoal grey with velvet collar).

For in-between seasons (mostly spring) I have this Manoush dress coat as seen here on Eva Fontanelli.
on-the-street-eva-paris-2

source: the Sartorialist.

Last year wasn't as cold as the previous two, but I still couldn't resist the Topshop goat jacket in blonde when it came out. I love goat jackets. Hoping to get a bit more wear from it this year.

My ultimate coat would be a Burberry Prosrum millitary style.

Lucy92 - I love that zara coat :smile:

I've been lusting after this coat since I saw it. I'm looking for a wool coat this year.

2j4t5ht.jpg

Tumblr/cruelintheafternoon

Last edited by a moderator:
^OMG me too! Do you know which brand it is? Every high street is making this model this season, but I looooove it so much more in camel.

^OMG me too! Do you know which brand it is? Every high street is making this model this season, but I looooove it so much more in camel.

I think I might've found it:woot: I think it is this Sandro coat and the fur collar must detach or something because in some pictures Ginta has the collar and in others she doesnt.
WWL132_in_l.jpg

lanecrawford.com

^Of course! I thought the high street had been "heavily inspired" by Sandro's black version too.

I'm getting this Carven coat:

What do you think?

(pics from la garconne)

^^looks good! I like that the sleeve is a bit shorter..

also love that Sandro coat in the camel :heart:

add me to the list of people wanting that camel Sandro coat. :crush:

^^looks good! I like that the sleeve is a bit shorter..

also love that Sandro coat in the camel :heart:

Thank you! :flower:

Actually, for anyone else that might be interested, the sleeve is not really shorter (at least not on me) - I tried on the FR 36 and I'm 1.70 tall.

I just received this coat from Elevenparis this week-already getting compliments on it.

(Mine is black, but I'm showing the grey so you can see the details better)

mikka.jpg

Elevenparis.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->