YSL Mens S/S 05

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by ebowleg, Jul 5, 2004.

1. ebowleg

ebowleg New Member

Here it is...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pics really do not give a good idea of what the collection looks like, but it's something :innocent:

P.S. I like what I can see!

2. ebowleg

ebowleg New Member

Here is part of an article...the rest is about Givenchy, and it will be posted in that thread :flower:

3. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

From what I can see I love it especially the yellow blazer...

4. Dior

Dior New Member

sexy...who is he

5. tott

tott slightly dizzy

From what little there is to see, it looks very YSL. :flower:

But maybe also slightly stale...?

6. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

i love Pilati's attitude but i wish we could see more of the collection

thanks for the visuals :flower:

7. Alejandro

Alejandro & R.V

That blazer is to die for :heart: :o

8. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

My man problem with Tom Ford :innocent:

9. kit

kit New Member

From the little that we have here , Stephano Pilati has let ' Good Taste ' dictate the essentials of this debut collection . B)

I LOVE it and have been looking forwood to the day that FINALLY sees the end of Tom Ford's philosophy for the house . :heart: :heart: :heart:

QUOTE ( from an interview in ARENA HOMME + A / W 01 / OO ) .

" GUCCI is LOS ANGELES , St.Laurent is PARIS .

'The GUCCI man is very obvious, 'FORD says .' He's sexual, he enjoys fun women , fast cars , money , things - and it shows .
    The St.Laurent man is more intellectual, more complex, flashy in a different sense . Darker , maybe a little more sinister . But very rich. Even to the point of making you sick to your stomach. " :yuk:

I could not think of any philosophy that runs more counter to the ideals of Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche , as set up in 1968 . :angry:

Maybe times have changed , but I feel that Stephano Pilati , in showing respect for the traditions of this great house , comes nearest to what is required in this new era of ' elegance ' both in men's and womens clothes .
    Lets see what Stephano comes up with in OCTOBER for the women's collection ' for further proof . :wink:

That's what makes me weep about Galliano's efforts for men , closely followed by Gaultier's and the other ' SHOWMEN ' we have been treated to in the last 2 weeks . :cry: :cry: :cry:

Maybe I am old and ' past it ' but I look for real design and beautiful clothes , NOT pyrotechnics to merely capture the attention and the front pages of the worlds sensation hungry press . :blush:

Yours in all humility , :(

KIT :innocent:

10. ebowleg

ebowleg New Member

For those that are interested, you can preview the collection online at YSL.com :flower:

11. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

from the pictures on the website...i'm not yet impressed.

12. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

although i must confess that i was not around to understand what the initial philosophy of ysl rive gauche was in 1968, i must say that as a consumer of today, tom fords collections had an immediate and tangible allure. while i hope that pilati succeeds and bringing another dimension of ysl to the menswear, the clothes i saw did not carry with them that moody excitement i found in ford's clothes.

be it right or wrong: ford's vision of the ysl man i think is one that coincides with what the majority of the public associates with st. laurent.

13. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

what's on the website is a complete homage to YSL...those are all portraits of YSL himself...that have been re-done...

i don't like the model and the stupid slicked back long hair...this is very distracting to me...and ysl's famous glasses are missing...

however...the clothes are VERY YSL...especially the wide lapels and narrow trousers...i would have loved to see those images in colour...

i can't say yet whether it's good or bad...but it is very YSL...so i guess that's good in some ways...a good start...back to basics and build from there...very european i think...very french...

and as lena said...i reallyh like the attitude pilati presents himself with...humility is a very attractive quality... :flower:

14. kit

kit New Member

AGREED in every way , Soft :heart:

It IS a new beginning , and ' pace ' mikiejames :flower: , Ford's collections WERE more modern as they HAD to be , 1968 being eons ago , but the new millenium collections never seemed to catch what Soft refers to , ' very european , very French . '
    That's why I included the quote about Ford's vision of Gucci . The Ford YSL collections were not greatly different from those he did for Gucci , and did NOT have that essential French chic , imho .

KIT :flower:

15. ebowleg

ebowleg New Member

I was disappointed when I saw that they were all in black n' white...but it's better than nothing, I guess :unsure:

16. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

I don't know, from what I saw on the website it didn't look any different then what YSL Homme was doing while Ford was there. I mean, his menswear collections were so much more subdued and in a way, boring then the menswear coming from Gucci. Hate Ford for trashing YSL womens if you want, but YSL men was about dandified suiting with a European air, which is why I say, this collection was no different.

17. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

much much better than tom in design and personality

18. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

menswear is all about subltleties...so the differences you see are subtle...the width of a lapel ..the size of a cuff...the spread of a collar....you have to look closely at all the details...and truthfully...i think the YSL customer is an older european businessman...very tradtitional and particular in his way of dress...if it is too overtly sexy...these men will look elsewhere for their wardrobe staples...

ysl had a very loyal following for years... i think they are trying to lure those customers back...and then build from there...good business strategy...imo...

19. runner

runner .

Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche shot by Nathaniel Goldberg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. runner

runner .

and the article from FWD