Yves Saint Laurent S/S 05 Paris

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by LostInNJ, Oct 10, 2004.

1. jennifer~

jennifer~ Active Member

Us great minds think alike! :smile:

2. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

yeah :rolleyes: , he looks much better than he did in all of his profiles....(esp. the one in vogue!)...

i must commend pilati for not maintaining the status quo at rive gauche. while these clothes don't personally appeal to me (reminds me of that whole idea of "new vintage"....) i do recognize that he's introducing in a strong way, his vision for ysl. i just wonder how the stuff is going to sell with it being such a departure. :unsure:

3. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

Crazy :angry: Whoever wrote that is nuts...they seem to have their G-string in a twist because Pilati won't be making the cheesily slick trash that they want. As for the slamming of the suits and the "Proustian" skirt...do they know who Yves Saint Laurent is? :blink:

4. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

lord...that article in wwd is the kind of thing that really worries me about the future of the industry...

when ghesquiere did the bubble skirt at balenciaga...they were all atwitter... and now suddenly at ysl it's dated and not current?!?!...

it really does sound like they were bitter about not having their a** kissed...which is completely unprofessional...imo...

god i hate politics... :rolleyes: ^_^

5. softgrey

well...i'd say that based on the reaction in this thread...it will probably do quite well at retail...and based on what they said about it being less expensive to produce...hopefully that will translate into some savings for the consumer...which will also increase volume...

which is the main goal...volume... :flower:

6. metal-on-metal

If this stuff reminds you of Vuitton it's because Marc Jacobs shamelessly appropriates from every designer/subculture of the past 50 years. The stuff in this show belongs to YSL and doesn't deserve a comparison to that amateur Jacobs.

7. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

fashion's always had it's darlings...and in his defense, ghesquiere was sort of alone last season in introducing that skirt that we are seeing reverberations of everywhere in paris this season...(and it is a truly balenciaga idea)

8. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

LOVE IT. Thank goodness Tom is gone. Classic YSL. This is totally what the label needed, not that smut that tom was putting on the runway. And I agree about the archives comment. And besides, YSL is so classic, the archives are a great source!

9. kimair

kimair frozen

review from style.com:

couldn't have said it better myself.

10. mdankwah

mdankwah New Member

personally i love it, i feel tom ford brought down the house slighty by not placing the same emphasis as he did with gucci

11. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

Mower said it like it is, i admire him fr going his way, regardless that i'm not crazy about the ruffle skirts.. his tops pay off pretty well

the wwd crowd is très passè one needs to have only eyes
    to see the difference between old and new YSL
    with TF it was just gucci part two.. now its something much more
    near to the spirit of ysl, and i love the idea of switching focus towards
    daywear, there are so few occasions for real 'evening' wear.

thanks for the style.com review kimair

12. macchiom

macchiom New Member

A promising collection.

Not all is great but it’s a step in the right direction.

I have faith in Pilati!

13. metal-on-metal

That is so true and it's such a great point. You see these collections that are 60% evening wear and you think "who exactly is their customer and where is she going?" Fact is, no one dresses up anymore, for anything. Jeans and a jacket can be worn to almost any occasion and it's totally accepted, so why even bother? Pilati's show was totally realistic and I think the best shows this season are the ones that rejected outmoded, outdated ideas of "power dressing" and "femininity" and instead just focused on real clothes for real people to wear. We went through the whole "fashion as fantasy" and escapism thing for the past few years but like all things, it has to end. I liked that spring 2005 finally showed a sensible way forward.

14. faust

faust New Member

dammit!!! :P

15. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

i so agree (on both points) m-o-m

16. softgrey

sorry i have to make a slight correction here...nicolas RE-introduced that shape skirt... he borrowed the idea from balenciaga...which is appropriate because he WORKS for balenciaga...and pilati is borrowing it from ysl...because he's working at YSL... it bugs me slightly that the proenza boys are doing that shape though...because they are presenting it as their own idea...which it clearly isn't...

anyway... :innocent:

i really agreed wiith sara mower's review...
    i am loving all the shorter party dresses...because more people go to parties than to black tie galas or balls... :lol:
    thanks so much for posting that kimair!...

it's really a very smart collection... :flower:

17. kimair

kimair frozen

no problem lena and softie :flower:

and here's yet another opinion from FWD:

18. softgrey

19. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

20. Lutetia

Lutetia New Member

Please, please answer my question and tell me who this model is, maybe you didnt see my earlier post. Is it Caroline W?
    Thank you :flower:
    Oh, just wanted to add that I have been looking for nice polkadot dresses since two years, now I know where to find them. :heart: