Yves Saint Laurent S/S 11 Paris

One of my favorite collections from Paris^_^ Very very beautiful pieces and I cannot wait to see HQs.

i miss the strawberries personally :lol: and that's saying something

A surprisingly beautiful collection after all those boring shows he has been making for years. I've never been a fan of YSL after Tom Ford left, and I am proud to say I am back on track! After resort I was expecting this kind of show and thank god Stefano didn't let me down.
I personally love many of the clothes, although they give me a Marc Jacobs Spring 2009 vibe (ruffle dresses, sleek hair, strappy shoes, runway). But yeah, it's a really beautiful direction he went to. I love the front pocket, I think that's a very clever thing to do. Women usually have problems with pockets when they wear skirts or dresses ^_^

it starts good ends bad........not borring, but nothing exciting, just high quality clothes

Not bad, not bad! Not a fan of the ruffles but generally very chic as expected.

Poor Stefano, he will never live down the strawberries will he? :lol: Personally I loved the "nuns" for F/W, a bit more exciting. But nothing wrong with this collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes!! This looks so much closer to what YSL is about. The jumpsuit and those tight dresses are so sexy! And the giant ruffles are Oh-So-Laurent! I can't wait to see the full thing now.

What strikes me when looking at the video is how the clothes look at the back. Simply stunning.

Not bad, not bad! Not a fan of the ruffles but generally very chic as expected.

Poor Stefano, he will never live down the strawberries will he? :lol: Personally I loved the "nuns" for F/W, a bit more exciting. But nothing wrong with this collection.

:lol: Never. Those strawberries will come back to haunt him on his death bed. You have to admit, they were pretty terrible.

Agreed, the ruffles are the one single thing that puts me off here. It's not that I generally dislike ruffles, I just don't see them as coherent here, they're out of place and not so brilliantly executed either.

Apart from that, I adore this collection, everything about it, the tailoring, the silhouettes, the glamorous 70's allure so skilfully done it the context of "now", "marrying" it so cleverly with the minimalist zeitgeist. A collection so true to Yves Saint Laurent's heritage (save the bit too muted colour palette), while at the same time remaining very Stefano Pilati.

Bravo!

Yeah, actually thought this collection was okay. Liked the color combination of white, navy, and scarlet red.

Its a pretty alright collection. I still think its time for him to leave YSL. He's turning it into something hard, stark, minimal when it should be soft, luxurious, ornate... He's had enough chances!

it's much lighter and less rigid than what Stefano has been doing recently (excluding the Cruise collections, which were generally fun)

step in the right direction?

This is positively awful. There is no coherence, and most of it looks like it was re-hashed together from Saint-Laurents archives, but with zero modern perspective.

I don't know what has happened to Pilati in these last few years. His first few collections for YSL were so strong and had such strong messages. He managed to fuse the legacy of Saint-Laurent with his own incredible style and on top of that infuse it with that certain emotion of haute couture. Those shows were certainly not forgettable or redundant, which is more than I can say for his collections of today.

I suppose my problem with YSL in the last few years is the complete lack of emotion. These past few collections are just clothes and nothing more. Nothing to stimulate the senses, only the wallet. And therein lies the failure. YSL without emotion is not YSL. That is why so many designers fail at reinterpreting his archives, because they merely copy the visual. This collection, I'm afraid, is one of those very failures at transcribing the legacy of Saint-Laurent.

^Definetly, I think so...this collection is more feminine and less restricting in its harshness. Although I have to say he already went for a more feminine direction with the notorious strawberry collection :P

I'm happy to see some feminine sophistication at YSL. I'll look past the ruffled pieces, but in all fairness, they're not that ugly. The sophistication in the beginning is what I'd like to focus on in this collection!

Its a pretty alright collection. I still think its time for him to leave YSL. He's turning it into something hard, stark, minimal when it should be soft, luxurious, ornate... He's had enough chances!
I agree. To think that he's got decades worth of YSL archives to draw inspiration from, and yet this is what he came up with.

This is positively awful. There is no coherence, and most of it looks like it was re-hashed together from Saint-Laurents archives, but with zero modern perspective.

I don't know what has happened to Pilati in these last few years. His first few collections for YSL were so strong and had such strong messages. He managed to fuse the legacy of Saint-Laurent with his own incredible style and on top of that infuse it with that certain emotion of haute couture. Those shows were certainly not forgettable or redundant, which is more than I can say for his collections of today.

I suppose my problem with YSL in the last few years is the complete lack of emotion. These past few collections are just clothes and nothing more. Nothing to stimulate the senses, only the wallet. And therein lies the failure. YSL without emotion is not YSL. That is why so many designers fail at reinterpreting his archives, because they merely copy the visual. This collection, I'm afraid, is one of those very failures at transcribing the legacy of Saint-Laurent.

I must disagree. Pilati has been off track for a few seasons but he's finally redeemed himself. This collection is a perfect amalgam of the sparseness and cleaned up mood in fashion (which Pilati was doing for YSL well before Philo came to Celine) and the romance that is native to YSL that has been frittered around at a few other collections (Gucci, Pucci, Nina Ricci, etc). It's the first time since those few initial collections (FW 07, SS 07) that his ultra sleek modernism makes sense and, most of all, looks desirable. I'm very pleased.

I am usually the one to criticize his collections , but he really did a really good job with this one save for thos weird ruffle pieces but everything else is very YSL and very modern . I am sure this will sell quite well. I am happy with this , u can feel the restrained sexiness in th clothes and the back cut outs , very demure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->