Yves Saint Laurent S/S 11 Paris

I must disagree. Pilati has been off track for a few seasons but he's finally redeemed himself. This collection is a perfect amalgam of the sparseness and cleaned up mood in fashion (which Pilati was doing for YSL well before Philo came to Celine) and the romance that is native to YSL that has been frittered around at a few other collections (Gucci, Pucci, Nina Ricci, etc). It's the first time since those few initial collections (FW 07, SS 07) that his ultra sleek modernism makes sense and, most of all, looks desirable. I'm very pleased.

I agree Mutterlein , you said it best !

Quite honestly, I've always loved Pilati's work for YSL and I think he's always done amazing work, with this collection being no exception. Elegant, sophisticated, and simultaneously classic and modern. This is very YSL and shows just how well Pilati works the aesthetics of this brand. It's really quite beautiful.

I really like this collection. It's fun which is good cause I'm getting sick of all the minimalism. This is clean and chic. Love the white coats in the first post.

Let the whole thing sink in a bit more and it's even better than I imagined. It's easily one of the best of the season and of Pilati's career. Extremely fresh and everything is so right. KO!

Something is wrong with the execution. Mr. Yves Saint Laurent was a wonderful designer with a great eye,
i think they need to find a better suited team, to keep the house up to Mr. Laurent's expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: Never. Those strawberries will come back to haunt him on his death bed. You have to admit, they were pretty terrible.

ironically, the strawberries (and his debut collection) were the most ysl thing that pilati has ever done. ysl was full of life and fun and he did plenty of "novelty" prints...hearts, lips....this crap is not ysl it's just crap.

^ I dunno. This collection has more energy than all of his recent collections combined. It's not like he's an incapable designer, because we know of his earlier work. But this the first time in ages that there's some charisma and energy in the clothes. They're not just well-cut clothes, they're more YSL.

Am I the only one reminded of S/S 07, the collection that pilati sent down a runway covered in violets?

This is not a good, but the silk ruffly dresses remind me of it.

I cannot believe the amount of praise Pilati is receiving for this terrible mess of a collection. How can anyone deem this to be chic? Its absolutely horrendous. His attempt at femininity in this is laughable at best. The ruffles were awfully kitsch, and quite suprisingly so given his beautiful manifestation of them in Spring 2005. Now that was a chic collection.

Besides, how can he go from designing beautiful haute couture gowns like these...

...to making gowns like these? Its absoultely bewildering. And for the life of me, I cannot believe women would wear these looks. They are almost tragic to me in their 80's retro-ism.

style.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a sleek collection, but after the recent YSL exhibition, I expected a more ambitious effort from him. This season in Paris has been really disappointing all round - except for Lanvin, and a couple of others, most sent out safe, "best of" looks that look like rehash of patterns from previous collections.

Now why is it that twenty other designers showing this season can rip off YSL better than YSL?

This collection had some bad pieces, a number of good pieces (I particularly liked the Krystle Carrington stuff, although I can't think of any place where I can see those items cropping up), and then there are quite a few boring pieces, and by boring, I mean boring - some of this stuff had me wondering if there an untapped market of secretly wealthy bank tellers and librarians that YSL is targeting.

Having said that, what really intrigued me about these clothes - the good, the bad and the boring, is that the luxury element is evident - as boring as some of these pieces are, of the many collections that I have seen thus far this season (which is almost over), these clothes make me want make an appointment to visit the showroom and just touch the fabric, examine the garment, inspect the stitching and be introduced to the patternmaker and seamstresses / tailors... go figure.

Full Collection (all from style.com)

00010m.jpg
00020m.jpg

00030m.jpg
00040m.jpg

00050m.jpg
00060m.jpg

00070m.jpg
00080m.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads