Zam Barrett S/S 11 New York

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by zamb, Sep 20, 2010.

1. zamb

zamb Active Member

Review in Scoute with some exclusive images

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. zamb

zamb Active Member

3. zamb

zamb Active Member

4. Zazie

Zazie Active Member

This is beautiful! There is an artisanal Martin Margiela quality to them. I like how simple and complex they are at the same time. The details and construction are impeccable, even though they are not worn by a mannequin. Would love to see how they work 3-dimensionally. I assume they are for both sexes? Great job!

#4 Zazie, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited by moderator lumineux: Sep 20, 2010
  5. zamb

zamb Active Member

[FONT=&quot]ZAM BARRETT[/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]Spring 2011[/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]Voices of Vice and Virtue[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Zam Barrett Spring/ Summer 2011 collection, themed, Voices of Vice and Virtue, explores the socio-historical applications and consequences of the two philosophical concepts of vice and virtue. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]What is a vice, as opposed to a virtue and how clear cut can we distinguish between the two? [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]How are these two polar opposites viewed at different times and by various societies throughout the course of human history?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Inspired by science, religion, history, and the sociopolitical consequences of the ideas of great philosophical thinkers, Zam Barrett’s work is infused with a breadth of symbolism and meanings that are interesting in their application without looking costumey.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] A technically accomplished tailor who is drawn towards the Avant Garde end of the fashion spectrum, his work can be term as "philosophic minimalism" that is borne from the soul of an unwavering artisan[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Stand out pieces in this collection included the "40 stripes save one" shirt, inspired by an ancient Jewish torah law which forbids a malefactor from receiving more that 39 lashes for crimes committed. The execution of this concept was achieved by literally simulating a lashing session with a whip dipped in paint and the designer receiving an actual beating. The paint marks from the beating were then transferred to a pattern and stitched into the back of the shirt.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Other standout pieces in this seasons 30 piece collection include, “Socrates Hemlock Shirt" inspired by the execution of the philosopher as written in Plato’s Phadeo[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The Siamese or Conjoined tote bag and belt which references the individuality but physical connectedness and harmony of conjoined twins and a collarless overlock shirt jacket made from washed buffalo leather[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Fabrics in the collection are exclusively natural fibers such as linens, cottons, silks and leather.[/FONT]

6. luckyme

luckyme Active Member

zamb, i've never met you but i have no doubt these garments breathe the essence of your being. they are ripe with heart and soul. beautiful fabrics and incredibly mature cuts. i hope one day i get the opportunity to try them on and see them in real life. congratulations on such a distinguishable collection.

7. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

zam! that is stunning stuff. the symbolism of it is intensely breathtaking. and the craftsmanship....as i know of your work....is absolutely superb.

what is the technique you used for the printed shirt? it looks burnt or at least gives that effect.

8. Donatello89

Donatello89 New Member

it looks strange.............

9. adorefaith

adorefaith i'm almost ready..

This is beautiful zam, tough and delicate at once. :heart:

10. ColorScreams

ColorScreams New Member

This is really beautiful Zam. :smile:
    Thank you for posting this.
    I love the cut and material used to make the garments, and the way you manipulated the clothing.
    You're extremely talented.

11. Squizree

Squizree Looking Up

How beautiful! I love the Bible quote, it's so precious. But what I really want is THIS.
    I really like the attention to shape here. They're not just squarey clothes.

12. zamb

zamb Active Member

Thanks, Squizree, ColorScreams, adorefaith and luckyme.
    your comments are greatly appreciated. this is my first full collection since fall 2007. I am still a little rusty and working my way back into things. I am more at peace with myself and with my work now, so lets see what happens from here.........

this shirt in particular was inspired by the execution of of the philosopher Socrates, as written in Plato's Phadeo.
    the story tells us that he was given the hemlock potion to drink and was told to walk around until he felt his legs getting numb, the feeling would then slowly move from his legs to his pelvis, then his torso............upon reaching his heart, then...........................the end.

the white linen in the shirt is symbolic of the purity and gentleness of the philosopher, the gradient effect moving to the heart represents death slowly creeping closer to his heart after drinking the poison.

indeed, I wanted it to have a burned effect, I developed a technique, where the fabric on the shirt was wet, then sprayed with a special type of paint, to yield this effect.................

13. zamb

zamb Active Member

14. zamb

zamb Active Member

15. zamb

zamb Active Member

16. zamb

zamb Active Member

More images to come............

17. zamb

zamb Active Member