Zara Mirkin - Fashion Editor & Stylist

risska

Reaction score
Zara.jpg

Meet Zara Mirkin, New Zealand's very own punk princess. Zara is the woman behind Stolen Girlfriends Club woman's wear collections and the amazing styling in NO. Magazine. Today she is one of New Zeland's top fashion stylists, contributing to other international magazines such as Yen and Oyster. Zara was previously a Mala Brajkovic store girl for three years.

I had a chat to her a few days after meeting her at her Yard Sale...

How are you Zara? What have you being doing lately?
Hey Imogen, I’m really good at the moment but also extremely busy. We just launched NO Magazine last week so it’s been a very nervous but exciting time to hear feedback and sales which thankfully have all been overwhelming! Working on Issue Two, which is due out end of May. I’m also getting our samples made for our summer range (Stolen Girlfriends Club) to take over to Sydney Fashion week next month and trying to hurry production up! Un work related I am in the process of setting up a photography website with a friend and trying to stop spending and start saving.

What's it like being a designer for Stolen Girlfriends Club and now Fashion Editor of NO Magazine?
It’s pretty full on, but I’m doing what I love and wouldn’t swap it for anything. I’m constantly surrounded by creative and inspiring people and have my dream jobs at such an early age. I’ve been given the most amazing opportunities through it all and worked with people I never thought I would ever be in the same room as! I also get to be on both sides of the fashion Industry, behind the scenes and in front during fashion week etc, which is a really cool experience because I know there is months work put into these shows, that take only 15 minutes!

If you could work for any one magazine/fashion house..etc in the
world who would it be?
That’s a really difficult answer, I have so many favourite magazines (Russh, Lula) But It would have to be Self Service or ID. They both have the most beautiful editorial but are also a bit tough rather than girly and pretty. Fashion house’s I will probably never do, but would love to work with Christophe Decarnin, Christopher Kane or Jeremy Scott, because they are young, have hot clothes and are extremely talented and inspirational.

How did you get to where you are today?
By working my *** off! And also by having people give me a chance, one in particular, Who thought me most things I know, made me appreciate fashion so much more, and introduced me to everyone and everything, including Guns n Roses, air guitar and my new boss, No Magazines Delaney Tabron. I owe that person a lot.

A normal day for you is....
It changes every week but usually 3 out of 7 days, I wake up and go to Stolen Girlfriends at 9am, Spend the day driving, designing, researching, packing boxes, all sorts of stuff. 2 out of 7 days I usually will be shooting editorial for No Magazine.

Whats the worst and best things about the industry you are in for you?
Worst, some of the people can be really negative. I’ve noticed a lot of them put people down when their doing well, picking out their flaws etc, and also the weeks leading up to fashion week last year, were very little sleep and a couple of speeding tickets..

The Best, would be working with photographers and models that you only dream of! I assisted Russh on a four day editorial with Catherine McNeil before she was a super model, that was one of the most exciting shoots I’ve ever worked on. Also the clothes and the people you get to meet and shoot along the way.

When you were a kid, what was your dream job?
Surprise Surprise… a Fashion Designer. My Grandfather was one of New York’s top Fashion illustrators. He worked for a number of clients including Pierre Cardin, Bloomingdales, Macy’s etc, Before they had catalogues of glossy pictures they had sketched drawings of handsome men and women. So I grew up looking up to him and admiring these pictures and I naturally wanted to make these clothes I saw on them.

If you could meet any three people, who would they be?
Slash, Jay Adams, George Jung and Hunter S Thompson. I know that’s four but I couldn’t choose. Three out of four of them are still alive so hopefully I will have the chance one day…

Fictional People would be Dallas from the Outsiders, Matthew from The Dreamers and Trip Fontaine from The Virgin Suicides.

What three things make you happy the most?
Cheese Pizza, Fashion, Music and most importantly my Friends and Family. Four again… Sorry.

Source: thegirlwiththekaleidoscopeeyes.com

Last edited by a moderator:
No Magazine #6
Photographer: Mark Hunter
Stylist: Zara Mirkin
Models: Zippora Seven and Jasper Seven

Source: thestolenorchid.com/

Russh Japan
Model: Tallulah
Photographer: Monty Adams

Source: studdedhearts.blogspot.com/

No Magazine #8
Photographer: Sam Crawford
Styling: Zara Mirkin
Model: Alice Dellal

166djfa.jpg
23k2bev.jpg

33osc95.jpg

20gbll5.jpg

29w0j79.jpg

fcv56x.jpg

315etxs.jpg

4kji8p.jpg

alicedellal3.jpg

alicedellal7.jpg

alicedellal11.jpg

alicedellal12.jpg

rbjqyx.jpg

No Magazine #8
Style: Zara Mirkin
Models: Stella, Avril
Photography: Karen Inderbitzen-Waller

No Magazine #6
Model: Zippora Seven
Fashion Editor: Zara Mirkin

Source:knighttcat.com/

Australia's Oyster Magazines Issue #79
Photography: Karen Interbitzen-Waller
Lighting/Digital: Avril Planqueel
Hair: Rowan Duley at Stephan Marr
Model: Joss @ Nova

24449982.jpg
30833515.jpg
70935567.jpg
51256850.jpg
88650253.jpg
47508963.jpg
62202991.jpg

Source: thegirlwiththekaleidoscopeeyes.com/

NO. Magazine #7
Photographer: Ben Sullivan
Stylist: Zara Mirkin & Grace Atkinson
Makeup: Peita Gregory @ RPR
Models: Kyla @ Priscillas and Tallulah @ Scene

tallulah2.jpg

ben2yzz.jpg

ben6l.jpg

ben7x.jpg

ben16.jpg

Source: amanda-thomas.blogspot.com

NO. Magazine #7
Photography: Karen Inderbitzen-Waller @ International Rescue
Lighting & Digital: Avril Planqueel
Fashion: Zara Mirkin
Make-up & Hair: Tiffany Jeans
Models: Mak and Amanda @ August

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

Source: thegirlwiththekaleidoscopeeyes.com

Foam Magazine
Photographer: Ben Sullivan
Model: Zippora Seven

issu.com

OYSTER #81
Photographer: Karen Inderbitzen-Waller
Fashion Assistant: Maeve Woodhouse
Lighting/Digital: Avril Planqueel
Make-up: Virginia Carde
Hair: Danni at D and M
Model: Zippora Seven @ 62 Models

Source: Scans by Wednesdays Child

NO. Magazine #4
Photography: David Shields
Model: Ali Stephens

Source: IMC Artist @ IMC Magazine Web

NO Magazine #4
Photography: Sam Crawford
Model: Harley Viera Newton

NO Magazine #4
Fashion: Zara Mirkin & Karen Inderbitzen-Waller
Model: Christina @ 62 Models agency

An interview :smile:

Zara is a good friend of Turned Out, she has been buddies with Greta since high school, Maya loves bumping into her for chats when home and now i get to interview her. She is the Fashion Editor of NO. Magazine and designs the woman's line for rebellious clothing label, Stolen Girlfriends Club in New Zealand. Zara also works as a freelance stylist, contributing to publications such as Oyster. Here she shares what she's liking right now:

What currently inspires you?
My close friends and family around the world who are all doing amazing things, the people i work with each day, my late Grandfather, Knitwear esp Clare Tough and Lonely Hearts. Christophe Decarnin. Francesca Burns shoots. Jeremy Scott. My best friend Astra and how well she is doing. The Veils new album. Self Service. Blue my fat cat friend… so much at the moment.

The one person you dream to style?
That’s a really hard question, There isn’t one particular person, I guess a group of my favourite models… Lara Stone, Missy Rayder, Tallulah Morton, Anabela Bellkova, Freja Beha Erichsen, Alice Dellal, Coco Rocha, Sasha Pivovarova, Abbey Lee, Ali Stephens, Karlie Kloss, Magdalena Frackowiak… And I would have loved to have styled Stephanie Seymour back in the day.

Favourite editorial ever?
Matt Irwin shooting and Francesca Burns styling Alice Dellal in Self Service.

What wardrobe item would you buy if you only had $100?
A baby pink cone bra from La Mistriss.

Favourite models?
Lara Stone and Zippora Seven.

Favourite emerging designer? .
Clare Tough and Mark fast… I’m knitwear crazy.

Clothing item you consider timeless?
My Herve Leger Bandage Dress, well timeless until I can’t fit it anymore…

Favourite take out place?
Pizza Hut always!

Where would you love to buy a one-way ticket to? .
Havana, Cuba.

What fragrance are you wearing right now?
I don’t wear perfume, it makes me sneeze!

Latest music download?
I don’t download music but I bought the new Veils album, it's incredible.

Favourite boutique?
BESS, Opening Ceremony, Trash and Vaudiville.

Favourite less well known magazine?
Self Service and NO. magazine...

Favourite pair of shoes?
My bright red platform Chloe lace up boots, even though I only have the energy to wear them about once a year.

By Imogen, Photo by Lydia Cowpertwait

Source: turnedout.tv

Photos of Zara

These are photos from her Facebook, with model Tallulah Mortan:P:P:P:heart:

Attachments

• 9123_296476330267_777700267_8975759_5891756_n.jpg
    9123_296476330267_777700267_8975759_5891756_n.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 15535_315184940267_777700267_9251743_8201226_n.jpg
    15535_315184940267_777700267_9251743_8201226_n.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 3261_181300745267_777700267_6406207_2858318_n.jpg
    3261_181300745267_777700267_6406207_2858318_n.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 7
and more

here are a few more:heart::heart:

Attachments

• 5529_258389835267_777700267_8299377_259901_n.jpg
    5529_258389835267_777700267_8299377_259901_n.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 8935_300087370267_777700267_9039896_3952992_n.jpg
    8935_300087370267_777700267_9039896_3952992_n.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 13
  • n777700267_4647591_6533.jpg
    n777700267_4647591_6533.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 4
  • n777700267_5197237_4537.jpg
    n777700267_5197237_4537.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 4
New story on Turned out

All Grown Up

turnedout.tv
I have a real soft spot for miss Zara here, she's one of my sister's oldest friends and while we see each other rarely i feel i know her well. I've watched her grow up in a way and i feel rather proud of her. I admire what she's achieving at her young age, she works hard and is really building a name for herself as a stylist. I'm excited to see where she goes cos i think she has talent and just the right attitude. But best of all she's funny and totally fun to hang with, oh, and very kind - which never gets old.

So here she is in two of her favorites at the moment a pair of shorts marked Hank and her most loved biker vest found in Venice Beach. I wanted to also share a little of her work, so the collage is a collection of her styling efforts, i like the images, they are clearly on trend and young but there is a subtle softness to her work i respond to. So thanks Zara, you're one of our favorites.

Attachments

• Hank_0.jpg
    Hank_0.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Zaraswork.jpg
    Zaraswork.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 2
  • ZaraVest.jpg
    ZaraVest.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 2

Users who are viewing this thread