Alexander McQueen's new denim line

tott said:
Agreed, it's more challenging and interesting to try to create great stuff on a (tight) budget!
True. However, do you think any designers with diffusion lines truly think of them in this light? Do most designers not simply assign a team to the diffusion line under the instruction from some conglomerate headquarters to make cheap, commercial clothes? I can't say that I've ever seen a piece of diffusion line clothing that looked as if it was the creative result of a restrictive challenge.

I'm rather exited about this, after all, it might be really good

^ Alex, it was merely wishful thinking, a response to travolta :lol:

The reality of diffusion lines is more grim...

Hussein Chalayan´s womenswear diffusion is really, really good, absolutely as witty as his mainline collection, but then again, he´s not forced to turn profits as much as McQueen is theses days, I guess that´s what sets him apart. I agree with everybody´s point-of-view towards the well known, Ittierre produced diffusion lines... D&G, Just Cavalli, C'N'C Costume National, Versace Jeans Couture, all of them are horrendous, both the design and quality sucks for the pricepoint. I have had several friends buying See by Chloe, I´m not so farmiliar with their quality, though... could somebody tell me?

tricotineacetat said:
HI have had several friends buying See by Chloe, I´m not so farmiliar with their quality, though... could somebody tell me?

Total sh*t from what I've seen. The only thing that's worse is Blue Girl by Bluemarine :yuk:

travolta said:
maybe not. but to scream that he's selling out because it's a diffusion line is an elitist attitude. if he was smart he'd invest a bit more into exploring that area, as he needs to turn a profit. he could even create slightly more affordable clothing that appeals to his more avant-garde followers, and kill two birds with one stone... why shouldn't he branch out?
First, of all, I can assure you he had nothing to do with it. I will wager that it was a decision passed down to him by the Gucci group. He will not be involved in it, but he will further prostitute his name. Selling out? He already sold out, thank you very much.

I think it's perfectly normal to critisize this. Did you read the original post? It said it will mostly be a jeans/tshirt line. There is nothing elitist about saying that this is trash. This is not RAF nor Chalayan - this is Gucci group, baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until I noticed the picture on the last page, I was actually hoping the jeans would be somewhat good. He did a line of denim for his f/w 02 collection that was actually really cool...definitly not your average denim. But if that picture is basically what we're gonna get from McQ then it's really gonna suck.

Spike413 said:
Until I noticed the picture on the last page, I was actually hoping the jeans would be somewhat good. He did a line of denim for his f/w 02 collection that was actually really cool... definitly not your average denim . But if that picture is basically what we're gonna get from McQ then it's really gonna suck.

It was, wasn't it?!!! I still have the lookbook from that season, it was amazing.

travolta said:
i think even if he doesn't care about creating affordable clothing he certainly could do it. was he not a tailor at saville row? his clothes if you strip it's opulence away are cut well and have great proportions. even his arty touches, such as the merry-go-round theme collection, could have fanastical prints on garments instead of costly embellishments. i think any great designer could and maybe should have a diffusion line, not only because it's smart, but because i would love to see them step up to the challenge at creating great clothing inexpensively. i think maybe i'm taking the industrial design perspective that such restaints are what equals really good design.:flower:
I'm inclined to agree with your last statements. But good tailoring skills does not a good designer make. It's precisely because of what I perceive as the utter lack of engagement from an "industrial design perspective" in McQueen's work that I've never found him convincing as a designer. Imo he'd have been better off if he'd just gone into theatre or costume design.

Anyway, my point was that while I certainly have no objections to him or anyone else trying his hand at a diffusion line, my expectations are very low.

How hypocritical of him; he said in an interview that he would never do a diffusion line.

mdankwah said:
How hypocritical of him; he said in an interview that he would never do a diffusion line.

He is an employee, remember?

^I suppose you're right, the pressure of the Gucci Group

I'm not familiar with the tastes of McQueen fans. Do you also like Prada? Or are the two incomparable, because I found McQueen's commercial FW 05 06 collection to be very beautiful, exciting and somewhat original. However, I cannot say the same for any collection by Muiccia, nor McQueen's SS 06.

Can anyone remember the first McQueen denim line called McQueen's?It was hideous as hell, all about acid washed bumster jeans and tacky polyester track tops with huge logos. I guess they discontinued the line after Gucci took over. So tacky diffusion denim is nothing new at McQueen, this time it's just much pricier...

tuomas said:
Can anyone remember the first McQueen denim line called McQueen's?It was hideous as hell, all about acid washed bumster jeans and tacky polyester track tops with huge logos. I guess they discontinued the line after Gucci took over. So tacky diffusion denim is nothing new at McQueen, this time it's just much pricier...

Yea, it was pretty terrible, I remember it. Too many holes and patches...

AudiEC said:
I'm not familiar with the tastes of McQueen fans. Do you also like Prada? Or are the two incomparable, because I found McQueen's commercial FW 05 06 collection to be very beautiful, exciting and somewhat original. However, I cannot say the same for any collection by Muiccia, nor McQueen's SS 06.

I've found McQueen to be an interesting bridge between the creative and the commercial. I think it's because he is both a very talented designer and a part of a conglomerat with big advertising bucks. There are people here who love him and Gucci/Prada, and those who like him and Chalayan.

tuomas said:

i remember...
i have a top actually...
l/s t...

all i can say is that it ran soooooo tiny...
i had to buy a large...and it is tight...:lol:...

mcqueen makes clothes for barbie dolls...^_^
it's hard for real women to wear his stuff...
maybe this new line will offer some more reasonable and wearable stuff...
who knows?...

one can only hope for the best...:flower:

As faust mentioned AudiEC, there are people on the spot who like McQueen and designers like Prada, Gucci et al, I myself am one of them, and yet I absolutely hated McQueen's fall collection. I don't want easy to wear, commercial clothes from McQueen, I want drama, I want creativity, I want something that stands out in a crowd of people...because that's what he does so very well.

I'm curious to know if Lee would still have sold to Gucci Group if he could've forseen DeSole's departure and the radical changes that would come as a result....I mean, I highly doubt it, but I would like to know his thoughts on it.

I dont have my hopes up but I'm still curious to see it. I dont know much about his denim but theres an awesome pair of cropped skinny jeans McQueen did this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wxzaqk
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->