Alternative Apparel

ChrissyM

girl who fell to earth
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Alternative Apparel?
www.alternativeapparel.com

I have one of their burnout tees and I LOVE it :heart:
sooo soft and i think the level of sheerness to it is actually really nice..
makes it a bit more interesting and definitely more light weight than some other t-shirts...

But... do you think they are a little overpriced?
I found mine on sale for under $10 i think at tjmaxx a while back...
which is obviously a great deal...

on their website the burnout tees are between $30 and $40... which i guess isn't too bad after all...
for some reason i thought they were more expensive.. :rolleyes:

Overpriced?! :huh: Lol. I can't believe it's even used in the same post as Alternative Apparel! Heheh....I guess that makes it easy to know what my response to that question is, eh?

If you want overpriced, looked to AMERICAN apparel. Very VERY basic fabrics with shoddy workmanship and designs so simple it's insulting that they actual want to charge anything more than $10 for it!

I find the quality of both the fabrics that Alternative Apparel uses and the stitching to be EXCELLENT. In fact, compared to my mid-level shirts from basic big names like C&C California, Michael Stars, James Perse, etc. it is just as good if not better than some of them.

For example, I have the "Flutter Sleeve" tee. The scoop neck and hem of the flutter sleeves are stitched in two rows in tight stitching like this ----- not like this _ _ _ _ which is what many cheaper lines do. The cotton used is a super soft pima cotton and they actually HEM the fabric! *cough* American Apparel *cough*

So yes, I am a HUGE fan of this brand. Even if you go to Gap tees are $20-30CDN whereas at Aritzia (which has now started carrying this line! :flower:) the Alternative Apparel tees are $26-28 but use pima cotton instead of the unflattering material basic Gap tees have that stretch horizontally.

for some reason i had it in my head that they were overpriced but after looking at the website i agree that the prices are reasonable...
i even kind of backed off that idea almost immediately after i said it in the above post :P

especially when compared to a lot of other brands for basics... C&C and Michael Stars are good examples.. the pricing on those items can definitely get a lot crazier than anything alternative apparel does..

I have the burnout tank, and long sleeve tee and I'm very happy with both of them. Oh and I have the regular short sleeve (I'm happy with that too). I think they are on par price-wise with American Apparel, which I have sworn off for a while due to the shoddy workmanship of AA. In fact, you can get great deals on Alternative Apparel if you go on eBay or buy off the bulk price websites that stock tees and apparel. I bought one shirt off of eBay and two off a bulk site and they were way below retail.

As in everything else I buy, I try never ever to pay retail. Plus, Alternative Apparel is sold on Revolve clothing, and they always have sales and codes.

The burn out tees are thin but they've been thrown in the machine several times so far and no snags, rips or trailing threads (the thread thing is a huge pet peeve of mine with AA). I think they're great, but I found the hem on the longsleeve too long so I just took it off. Also, I'm kind of pissed off at the fact that all my AA stuff has pilled all over the place with threads trailing, but the super thin burnout stuff from Alternative has none. How is this possible?

The one thing you might be concerned with is that Alternative has their stuff is made in China and there has been some controversy over their labor practices and how sustainable their apparel is.

Last edited by a moderator:
The gauze tank is a waste... I tried to dye it with fiber reactive dye (50% cotton so I figured it would turn gray if I used black dye) and the thread is not cotton so now I have a gray tank with white stitching... and the stitching on the inside seam was easily pulled. I also don't like how the gauze and burnout shirts are prone to pilling.

The modal/silk fabric looks nice... has anyone tried it?
http://www.alternativeapparel.com/S...alse&Section=&SectionUrl=&Consumer=Y&Color=OX

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silvercat90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->