Photographer: Ryan McGinley
Art Director: Ben Keren
Creative Director: Cédric Murac
Set Designer: Matt Jackson
Stylist: Mel Ottenberg
Hair: Jawara
Makeup: James Kaliardos
Manicure: Naomi Yasuda
Cast: Mary V, Gia Woods, Ama Elsesser, Jari Jones, Pabllo Vittar, Tommy Dorfman, Chella Man, Mina Gerges, Reece King

Design Scene

I applaud them for using the progressive flag in some of the designs, that's all I can say.

This is so 2018 and very PC. They need a formula that will cater to a majority of actual customers instead of feeling an unnatural obligation to please everybody. This concept is tired and redundant at this point. All this sad campaign is missing is Kendall and The Hadid's. If you're going to produce something this uninspired and mediocre you might as well take it all the way.

They are trying way too hard to be PC, and it's obvious. It all just seems disingenuous...they are capitalizing on something that is not just a trend, but something real people deal with everyday. Yet, to them it is just a marketing tool, I don't like it at all.

Agreed with Gergin, the campaign would have been better but the post seems wrong whether intentionally or unintentionally.

That said, curvy models can look good and sexy for a CK ad dont understand why they gave her that dreadful makeup or why they had to pick a photo where she had such an expression. I dont even blame the model I blame the team behind the terrible campaign. They can learn from the masters, Lane Bryant.

pics lanebryant

rs_1024x684-150914162412-1024-lane-bryant-plusisequal-1.jpg 552555682bd47.image.png 61D93FB6-2A23-4F3D-878F-3BB29E6BBA43.jpg lanebryant1.jpg

My first reaction towards this was 'NO' but I think it's just how s*itty it all is, it's not even about the people here, it's just that they're photographed like a Metro PCS campaign for some blackberry-looking phone. I have a hard time making the connection between the person that did this.. and this.

Frankly I don't really mind seeing people that are unattractive in fashion because.. I have followed fashion for a lot of years, and in every single one of them, there was always someone that I did not find attractive or whose appeal I just didn't get. In some cases, like when Anouck Lepere and An Oost first came out (both conventionally less attractive than some of the people here), I sort of rewired myself and understood that not everyone had to look like a freakin' barbie and that barbies were in fact pretty dull.

The difference then, and even in the 70s, 80s and 90s when looking at the work produced back then, is that the variety of faces (one can call it 'diversity' too) was pretty big.. it just wasn't a moral statement and definitely not a charitable pursuit. In a way, those in front of the lens were assigned a more dignified place and their natural beauty was explored for its individuality and completely in synch with the premise of fashion as we know it: status, beauty, lifestyle, a genuine appreciation for garments and a need to express yourself creatively through them.

The average fashion consumer is not really demanding, they can be retrained for a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g, they will nod and devour things the way a dog fetches a bone, you could sell the holidays of a lifetime or lingerie in that good ol' sultry Calvin Klein way with this girl, the problem is wanting at all costs to overlook and deny that what constitutes an interest for fashion has little to do with your fellow human beings, it has always been a selfish endeavor, no one thinks 'I'm going to buy this beautiful garment so I can make that event look amazing!'.. you buy a beautiful garment so YOU can look amazing IN that event. That is the whole base for the 'fantasy', the 'aspiration', the unattainable and larger-than-life ideas. So when a group is chosen based on prior or current vulnerability, as a message of empowerment... not only you're going to have questionable results because you're already detaching from the original motive, but it immediately removes the viewer as well from his/her aspirational needs and demands altruism from them instead... and that's not just hard work.. it is annoying to be demanded anything in an outlet that is, more often than not, easy, purely about pleasure, and certainly not the one you go to when you want justice made in any way.

In short, I think the viewer is wrongly assigned responsibility and that will never really work and I think some of the people here have the same potential as.. Harleth or Selena.. they're just all piled together, for questionable reasons and with absolutely no effort from the team behind this because they're so obviously in disagreement.. and it kind of just shows.. how CK is currently a ship on fire. ☄️

Some people here are just so embarrassing.
Just like you don’t want to take a look of different people, I don’t want to read your miserable opinion.

MODERATOR NOTE:

INSENSITIVE COMMENTS REGARDING BODY IMAGE WILL BE DELETED AND MAY BE SUBJECT TO WARNINGS.

I’ve seen a lot of questionable comments directed at the cast when in fact, the real problem here is the styling/photography.

I would like for brands to give the same treatment they gives to models and celebrities to real people. It could have been more elevated.

Blimey, can't recall when last I've seen a Moderator's Note!

My first reaction towards this was 'NO' but I think it's just how s*itty it all is, it's not even about the people here, it's just that they're photographed like a Metro PCS campaign for some blackberry-looking phone. I have a hard time making the connection between the person that did this.. and this.

Frankly I don't really mind seeing people that are unattractive in fashion because.. I have followed fashion for a lot of years, and in every single one of them, there was always someone that I did not find attractive or whose appeal I just didn't get. In some cases, like when Anouck Lepere and An Oost first came out (both conventionally less attractive than some of the people here), I sort of rewired myself and understood that not everyone had to look like a freakin' barbie and that barbies were in fact pretty dull.

The difference then, and even in the 70s, 80s and 90s when looking at the work produced back then, is that the variety of faces (one can call it 'diversity' too) was pretty big.. it just wasn't a moral statement and definitely not a charitable pursuit. In a way, those in front of the lens were assigned a more dignified place and their natural beauty was explored for its individuality and completely in synch with the premise of fashion as we know it: status, beauty, lifestyle, a genuine appreciation for garments and a need to express yourself creatively through them.

The average fashion consumer is not really demanding, they can be retrained for a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g, they will nod and devour things the way a dog fetches a bone, you could sell the holidays of a lifetime or lingerie in that good ol' sultry Calvin Klein way with this girl, the problem is wanting at all costs to overlook and deny that what constitutes an interest for fashion has little to do with your fellow human beings, it has always been a selfish endeavor, no one thinks 'I'm going to buy this beautiful garment so I can make that event look amazing!'.. you buy a beautiful garment so YOU can look amazing IN that event. That is the whole base for the 'fantasy', the 'aspiration', the unattainable and larger-than-life ideas. So when a group is chosen based on prior or current vulnerability, as a message of empowerment... not only you're going to have questionable results because you're already detaching from the original motive, but it immediately removes the viewer as well from his/her aspirational needs and demands altruism from them instead... and that's not just hard work.. it is annoying to be demanded anything in an outlet that is, more often than not, easy, purely about pleasure, and certainly not the one you go to when you want justice made in any way.

In short, I think the viewer is wrongly assigned responsibility and that will never really work and I think some of the people here have the same potential as.. Harleth or Selena.. they're just all piled together, for questionable reasons and with absolutely no effort from the team behind this because they're so obviously in disagreement.. and it kind of just shows.. how CK is currently a ship on fire. ☄️

I've been seeing a lot of these Pride capsule collections everywhere all of a sudden, I think Versace, Loewe, DKNY, and Ralph Lauren are also doing them, and I find it off-putting because I don't think it's charity in the true spirit of charity. It's an exercise to not only keep their brands relevant by dangling the ever-popular identity politics carrot, but at the same time make their brand look more attractive and inclusive. Will these brands be selling their Pride capsules in countries where homosexuality is outlawed? Will they look into their own heteronormative practices, campaigns, runways? Doubt it. Why go through the song and dance then. I loathe this idea of trying to talk values when your own conduct as a whole does not reflect that. Rather don't do it at all.

Instead of taking all the money and resources they've used to pump into these lines and spread it across a range of charities, thereby helping a larger spectrum of people, brands are selling the capsules and donating only to 1 organisation.
But it's not really that which irks me, it's the fact that these capsules serve primarily to chase pink money, a purchasing power which many experts now position after the Chinese and before Gen Z. Because they've only just caught on that we love fashion and have a larger disposable income than most, a marketer's wet dream!?! :ermm:
I'd be much more content with CK and its ilk consistently adding these faces to their roster of seasonal campaigns thereby normalising them instead of putting even more tacky clothes into this world and tokenising these celebs/models like this for profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LiliesAreLovely
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->