Death To The Decade Trends !!!

UneVieEnOr

Reaction score
After feverishly looking to revamp my style, I've realized that most designers (as well as everyone else in my generation) simply reproduce styles from decades past. We all know that the 80s, 60s, 40s, etc are in. But I had to draw the line when people began to say that the 90s are in because the 80s thing is getting old. You know what is old? The decade trends :yuk: Although vintage is nice it is not NOW. I try to live in the moment and pretending I was of another era is the least creative thing possible.

The point of this thread is to explore true modern design. Post pics and discuss inspirational design that has NOTHING to do with the past B)

IT'S 2008; LETS LIVE IN IT!!!

I agree! As much as I love fashions of the past, enough is enough. Why must every collection be inspired by some past decade? I understand the temptation to do so, but there are other places to find inspiration and ideas. Seems to me to be a lack of imagination and creativity. I wonder if designers were doing the same thing in the past?

I think it's because it's hard to create something that's new and also wearable.. all shapes have already been done, all lengths too.. of course you could come up with an all new silouette or an all new clothing item but it's hard to come up with something that people will actually want to wear

I think what we can expect to be exclusive to this decade are certain fabrics that are new, and the mixing of different materials and looks

^ nice point, saann.. some clothes, maybe remind of clothes from the past.. but the technology is all 2008+ :-p

ie. a 50s like poodle skirt.. could have had a petticoat to give its shape
but now there are thin/dense fabrics that can give the same shape without the added mess/heavy weight ... much more clean, easy/light and modern

---

hmm present design ..
how about the work from Antwerp Academy?
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f60/hogeschool-antwerpen-show-2008-a-69278.html

Julia Kim's ..
julia3.jpg

thinking about reinventing the lapels .. closures, size/shape of pockets, placements + colours of hems
just fiddling with design details

| pic from catwalking.com |

Well trends/styles come in about 20 year cycles, so it's just the natural course for designers to be re-visiting past styles.

This post definitely made me think. We all want to see something new and current, something "2008". Unfortunately, though, the "it's all been done" mentality seems to have taken over fashion!

Oh I agree completely , I'm fed up of collections that seem so revivalist , "oh look Dior did the 60s" "oh Marc you crazy fool that's so 70s" etc.

However I think Balenciaga , Lanvin and arguably YSL (although it does still have a taint of retro) consistantly produce collections that are modern and not steeped in history.

It's the way fashion is interpreted on the streets I think , aside from recently with Topshop's rip off off his t-shirt , Margiela's influence doesn't really filter down to a commercial level and when I think of his name I don't think of someone who draws heavily on the past for inspiration.

Decade styling is very easy to market/advertise even produce editorials for , that might be another reason why it is so popular

Love the '70s. Sick and tired and hate the '80s. Early '90s was okay. Late '90s was worlds better. Everything else I'm not sure of. We live in the present, but it doesn't mean that our clothes should as well. Vintage is always great. Just ask "That '70s Show." No problem with throwback.

Overall, it really depends on what's being brought back and how. Are we updating classic styles to show old charm in a post-modern world? Or are we updating classic styles just to let fandom reign supreme as well as having horrid outfits and looks? That's what I was thinking when someone felt it was absolutely necessary to remind us just how terrible '80s fashion is. Even worse to let the style get to our heads to the point of insanity. Why are we focusing in on past styles for today's world? A hardcore response would be that designers can't think of anything to work in the present, so they focus on past styles to hopefully be assimilated in this day and age. Or look at like this- why do we have the Dodge Challenger in all of its muscle car allure in this day and age or even the returning Chevy Camaro? It's because someone brought back something classic and made it stick in this day and age. These two cars are for the modern world with inspiration from the past. With the right support and backing, retro can be cool in a modern world.

Same goes with fashion. Some designers can make old school look cool in new school. Maybe (and I agree with saann from Post #3) there aren't too many designers trying to come up with the next best NEWEST thing. Nobody wants to take the chance making the next biggest hit. Saying that is a hardcore take on fashion. It's to say that all styles don't need to be updated to be and remain cool. It's also easier said than done to make a new style that will work. It's not like you're going to tell a designer or design team to make something new without focusing wholly on a past decade. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't lead it to drink.

So because no one's really making a real push to be completely different and completely "2008," we look to the past. Some designers just like past styles and want to influence them. Still... the hardcore, macho, rock star view is... "MAKE NEW CLOTHES! It's not that hard to come up with something brand new." I'm not really against decade trends... as long as we don't have to relive the '80s.

& also if you check through the trendspotting forum..
remember there are non-past decade related trends..

transparency, meshes
patterns with patterns, fabric mixes..

and taking something that might remind of an ethnicity or past decade
such as fringe .. well you can see there are a lot of interpretations of that, many of which don't look anything like what it did before..
so it's really about an idea that sparks
and it evolves
only really a starting point
in the end the reference could be completely washed out

in that sense, it's not terrible to look to the past for ideas :smile:

I heard somewhere that there is alot of fashion/design libraries out there that outline every possible single direction that the fashion market (trends) will go. That every type of aesthetic, design quirk, weave, fold, tailoring has already been thought of and catalogued.

I mean we have been working with the same basic clothing parameters (4 limbs attached to torso, head...etc. :D ) for many many years now. When you take the whole thing about what's going to create a trend into account... well people's lifestyles and culture hasn't changed THAT much in the past few years, as to make the past few decade's "trends" uncyclable. This is most noticable in american menswear...

I have a few observations that might qualify. Tell me if I'm wrong but is the globalization trend something more evident in the 2k's than in the past? I think this decade is all about the internet and it's effect on the way a certain trend is spread throughout the world.

Is the abundance of shemagh-wear a new thing?

I know japanese fashion has been on the rise since the 70's but I think it's appearance in street-wear markets is something to take into account. Another thing I like coming from japanese fashion is the appearance of new tech fabrics being integrated into high fashion. I know there's many other people using it but Junya Watanabe's name seems to dominate most discussions on tech fabric.

I really like all the functional tech fabrics that're being experimented on by some designers right now in high fashion. The integration of science/technology and fashion isn't new, (polyester :P) but it usually is always moving forward with each new scientific discovery, so ends up very unique to it's time. Sometimes they're too functional and gimmicky when realized in a more "mass consumer oriented" way (like levi's x apple :yuk:) but I feel that in fashion a truly unique-to-the-times aesthetic might just come from working with new base materials and fabric.

Also what about certain post-apocalypse trends (anne dem, Julius, ugh other brands escape me a.t.m. it's too early and I'm too ignorant) showing up in Superfuture/stylezeitgeist forums. Although they take alot of cues form the past, there is NO doubt that they bring them as a strongly identifiable modern post 2000's trend. (although, I'm only talking about what I know as a menswear fashion trend)

Moving to something more lively, I lastly propose Bernard Willhelm. Yeah, someone talk more about him... does this namebelong in a "trend" thread? Am I just out of my mind?

Last edited by a moderator:
this is an interesting discussion...very nice thread...:flower:

i agree that derivitabe design is lazy design...
and the 'it's all been done before mentalisuty' is just an excuse for mroe laziness in my opinion...

when i look at fashion designs...
i always looks for something new and creatvie and that is the only thing that really impresses me...

i myst say that there are a lot of japanese designers who push the boundaries...
rei, yohji, tao, junya, number nine, etc...
and i wouldn't call any belgian designers trendy or derivative....
dries, demeulemeester, margiela...etc...

i guess that is why they are my faves and why i wear so much of their stuff...

:P
viktor and rolf are also interesting, as is chalayan...

we already are doing the 80's and there wasn't a lot of real fashion in the 90's...
so i keep thinking that they have run out of decades to copy so they are going to have to come up with something new pretty darn soon!..

:lol:...

Last edited by a moderator:
this is an interesting discussion...very nice thread...:flower:

i agree that derivitabe design is lazy design...
and the 'it's all been done before mentalisuty' is just an excuse for mroe laziness in my opinion...

when i look at fashion designs...
i always looks for something new and creatvie and that is the only thing that really impresses me...

i myst say that there are a lot of japanese designers who push the boundaries...
rei, yohji, tao, junya, number nine, etc...
and i wouldn't call any belgian designers trendy or derivative....
dries, demeulemeester, margiela...etc...

we already are doing the 80's and there wasn't a lot of real fashion in the 90's...
so i keep thinking that they have run out of decades to copy so they are going to have to come up with something new pretty darn soon!..

:lol:...

I would like to correct you by saying that there was alot of fashion in the 80's... just no good fashion trends.

Most of those japanese fashion designers you mentioned got their start in the 80's.

Thanks to those who have taken the time to respond :flower:

I agree with the insight all of you have provided! I also contend with those of you who believe the Japanese and the Dutch are the only true innovators at present. While I do understand that the rules of fashion such as cuts,colors etc. have all been done it doesnt mean designers have to hold back from using technology and truly thoughtful processes that stray from the superficial. I can't wait for the day when the big fashions houses such as Chanel create clothes that tie in world issues such as the environemnt. Being environmentally friendly and actually giving back to the community versus their deliberate self indulgence is more than possible. If we can get a man on the moon (this is up for debate though lol) we can certainly create responsible modern clothing.

Alas, we are here for fashion! Are there any underground trends that are brand spanking new that we can truly call new? :unsure:

I love Chalayan and V&R but I 'd rather sponsor starving children, so reasonable university student prices are more palatable.

I was thinking the bad thing about trends of now is that they change constantly, either season to season or year to year.. but like 60s mod fashion, that was a scope of several years no? maybe at least half a decade

Wondering what you mean by the man on the moon, unviedenor
The fabric they use for astronauts' suiting is being used in fashion
It regulates body temperature.. feel warm in cold weather, feel cool in hot
One designer who uses it is Belstaff

I was thinking the bad thing about trends of now is that they change constantly, either season to season or year to year.. but like 60s mod fashion, that was a scope of several years no? maybe at least half a decade

Wondering what you mean by the man on the moon, unviedenor
The fabric they use for astronauts' suiting is being used in fashion
It regulates body temperature.. feel warm in cold weather, feel cool in hot
One designer who uses it is Belstaff

What I meant by that statement was that we as humans are capable of great technological achievements yet are still being irresponsible with the way we create clothes :flower:
But, I'm actually glad you misunderstood me ^_^ What you said is fascinating to know! I will definitely check out Belstaff

The one decade that I always see is the 60s...the mod look, the cut of skirts, color blocking etc.

Interesting to see if we've had the Antwerp 6..and the Japanese designers , where is the next look coming from ?

For me the problem isn't so much taking inspiration from the past (although at the moment it's the only thing most designers are doing and is wearing thin) but xeroxing it.

If a designer can take an idea or a look from fashion history and manage to blur the references enough and rework it into something that feels contemporary and original then I truly don't mind. The only problem is that there isn't anyone that's managing to do that these days and that definitely does say something not only about the state of fashion as a business, but about the lack of real talent.

Unsurprisingly there's a glut of young American designers that are making their names regurgitating the past with some clever styling tricks thrown in to wow the masses.

But while I don't mind seeing the occasional inspiration from the past, I am one of the people who've grown tired of it.

I love when they merge decades and make something new

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silvercat90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->