Death To The Decade Trends !!!

@ UneVieEnOr

I agree! But what IS the 2008 look? We´re living in a mixture of new vintage interpretations. Is there something new at all?
By the way: I cannot hear the word "vintage" anymore! :sick: It´s simply everywhere.

Jesus I thought I was the only person in the world that can't stand "vintage"-

I agree with he OP, I'm tired of everyone trying to look like they came from a fancy dress party.
And now that they want to recycle the 90s i had enough, I was a teen at the grunge era, i certainly have no intention of reliving my past, lets move one.

For me the problem isn't so much taking inspiration from the past (although at the moment it's the only thing most designers are doing and is wearing thin) but xeroxing it.

If a designer can take an idea or a look from fashion history and manage to blur the references enough and rework it into something that feels contemporary and original then I truly don't mind. The only problem is that there isn't anyone that's managing to do that these days and that definitely does say something not only about the state of fashion as a business, but about the lack of real talent.
\

These are my sentiments exactly, thus the thread.

@ UneVieEnOr

I agree! But what IS the 2008 look? We´re living in a mixture of new vintage interpretations. Is there something new at all?
By the way: I cannot hear the word "vintage" anymore! :sick: It´s simply everywhere.

I was in SoHo yesterday (Oh how I DESPISE SoHo) and while most stylish people looked like drones of each other, I did notice that metallic leather accents, like tennis shoes and a bag, were fresh for 08 ; that is unless they were done in some previous period that I am unaware of.Also I've been away from New York for a while going to university in Portland, OR where everything is "Vintage" so my up to date-ness has been blurred. But nonetheless people are still drones....

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to know where you came from to get to where your going...

The past will always be revisited.

Classic fashion will never go out of style.

Bump

I see the 80s is still being revvied thanks 80 percent, no pun intended, of designers for fall / winter

Last edited by a moderator:
this is an interesting thread. i had access to a trend forcasting online service not long ago, and the big theme was called "decade mix" or something like that.... we've reached a saturation point, where we've done all the decades to death - we're about to get sick of the 80s, which means we'll probably end up looking back further to 40s/50s/60s/70s - and a bit of 80s will be left, aswell as the 90s stuff we're beginning to see emerge at the moment. What will be interesting though it what will happen after that...... there's only so much we can re-hash!!!

i do think thought that we're seeing some forward thinking people (i'm actually thinking of lady gaga...) that are pushing ideas foward instead of back - we just need more of them!

There are probably plenty of forward thinking people out there, but because they're not performers or show-offs, or particularly superficial or photogenic, we don't get to hear about them - while they happily continue doing their own thing, making a difference in their own world.

And not everyone who creates or designs wants the world to know about their work, or sell on a mass-market basis. Many individuals realise they don't want fame or pressure, and would rather work for themselves and make a reasonable living producing something for a certain range of clients.

We been lulled into thinking that the internet means we'll hear about anyone or anything worth knowing, but I think there are a lot of people who choose to fly under the radar. We assume that everyone wants exposure or to earn millions by turning themselves into a product, when that's not the case.

In order to see something different, we might need to look for these people in a different place or in a different way.

There are probably plenty of forward thinking people out there, but because they're not performers or show-offs, or particularly superficial or photogenic, we don't get to hear about them - while they happily continue doing their own thing, making a difference in their own world.

And not everyone who creates or designs wants the world to know about their work, or sell on a mass-market basis. Many individuals realise they don't want fame or pressure, and would rather work for themselves and make a reasonable living producing something for a certain range of clients.

We been lulled into thinking that the internet means we'll hear about anyone or anything worth knowing, but I think there are a lot of people who choose to fly under the radar. We assume that everyone wants exposure or to earn millions by turning themselves into a product, when that's not the case.

In order to see something different, we might need to look for these people in a different place or in a different way.
Thats very insightful and quite true Tigerrouge. Few people in pop anything could classify as part of a new creative generation

I wish designers would move on from the 80's and never look back, ever! I mean, Fashion is about what is new and exciting, the 80's have been done too death. It's time to move onto the future!

We cannot scape from the revival since theres nothing new but a copy of a copy of a copy (like we were fight club insomniacs...) in a dumb society there's only the revival... after generation x in the 90s what did it come? generation ipod? ita hard make changes when things do seem as controlled as stuck, as lost in a way... I don't know maybe im wrong but that's my sincere impression...

As the years go by there isn't one specific type of style for that particular time anymore like there was in the past. I agree that 2007, 2008, 2009 etc, are a mix of all different kinds of styles and the future is about different mixes of the past decades rather than a totally brand new look. That is our now whether it is because every shape and cut has already been done or because that is just the way it happened :wink:

One thing is that the body image has changed very little during the past 100 years, even less after the sixties, and the number of different silhouettes that "flatter" our preferred bodyshape is limited.

I think sometimes the shows that are on TV influence what decade the trends come from. When the new 90210 came on tv it seemed to me like stuff from the 1990's was coming back into stores. I remember seeing plaid or flannel shirts at Urban Outfitters a couple years ago and I remember that stuff being popular around 1994 or 1995.

One thing is that the body image has changed very little during the past 100 years, even less after the sixties, and the number of different silhouettes that "flatter" our preferred bodyshape is limited.

Wow... so true, I wish I'd said it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suchitha
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->