leopard print - classic or vulgar?

I would need to see some proof of that. Conventional cotton is absolutely toxic to the earth in terms of pesticide usage, and it also sucks up a tremendous amount of water. It has a clean image, but nothing could be further from the truth. By contrast, linen requires no pesticides.

This is how we do leopard in Paris: quadruple it or don't even bother :wink:
(my pic)

I know right? :wink: I thought of you all when I saw her; I know it was a little mean to take her pic but at least it's anonymous. <Note the cartoon guy in the middle of the jacket is flashing leopard briefs.>

But I want to say even something like this could potentially look high fashion if interpreted as a celebration of colour and pattern and executed by Dries for example.
Someone like Jeremy Scott or Jean Charles de Castelbajac might do it in a different way (probably have--oh...they have :ninja:), kitch but still you know, à la mode, so to speak. IMO, it's all in the execution.

^^^ You know Melisande, my initial reaction to the snap is the obvious "it's tacky". But then I think about the individual, and maybe if I had seen her face-- her energy and got a bit of her personality, and she turns out to be someone that's warm and radiant, then that totally changes my response to her style. Then she no longer is "tacky", and becomes a colorful individual.

We've mentioned this before, but it really is about the individual-- and that goes for a designer as well, that can makes a look, a style, work. It really isn't about determining what works and doesn't work as a concept, a proposal: You just have to give it a go-- like this lady in your snap has.

^^^ You know Melisande, my initial reaction to the snap is the obvious "it's tacky". But then I think about the individual, and maybe if I had seen her face-- her energy and got a bit of her personality, and she turns out to be someone that's warm and radiant, then that totally changes my response to her style. Then she no longer is "tacky", and becomes a colorful individual.

We've mentioned this before, but it really is about the individual-- and that goes for a designer as well, that can makes a look, a style, work. It really isn't about determining what works and doesn't work as a concept, a proposal: You just have to give it a go-- like this lady in your snap has.

Absolutely!! Thanks for totally getting my motivations and taking it further and saying it so well! :heart::flower:

^^^ To be frank, a part of me can't help but say if she had a premium bag and some good heels from a luxury label, then her look would be instantly elevated to eccentric high style. But not everybody can afford-- or even care for designer.

It's great she's doing her own thing, and her color sensibility is really strong: Navy blue with all those animal prints in gold/ brown tones, and that candy-apple red in her shoes-- yes, her mix does bring Dries to mind... And for that, I genuinely prefer her style to all those peacock-types dripping in designer "it" pieces of a season looking like walking ads, any day. And it's someone like her, that could really work the hell out of a luxury, leopard-print bag.

I'm glad you snapped her and posted it!

Exactly!! She definitely has something, and a strong colour sensibility--I do enjoy design challenges, looking at things with a different eye, and she certainly gives us food for thought. You're right, it's people like her that give us new ideas, not the cookie-cutter young Parisians in black skinny jeans.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I imagine she's reacting to that :smile: I probably would dress more rebelliously too if I lived in Paris! The only thing I really find to react to where I am (and in my industry) is excessive utilitarian wear, and too much sameness (and ugliness :ninja:) everywhere I look. I really came to despise synthetic fiber grey slacks the last place I worked ...

^^ Ta-ta the African community here has their own different, more flamboyant style, you see ladies wearing long colorful gowns in contrasting colours, with turbans, and it's quite lovely--I suspect she's coming from that colour-sensibility.

KingPanther, I can't believe we haven't mentioned Cartier. I was just in their store and saw some of their historical sketches--why not do some research on their designs and history, as they do leopard/panther beautifully and very luxe. That's their thing.
There's also a book published by Assouline on the history of the Cartier Panthere, it has lots of ideas executed beautifully.

http://www.assouline.com/cartier-panthere.html

I would need to see some proof of that. Conventional cotton is absolutely toxic to the earth in terms of pesticide usage, and it also sucks up a tremendous amount of water. It has a clean image, but nothing could be further from the truth. By contrast, linen requires no pesticides.

That's true, but we had been manufacturing cotton it for thousands of years, before pesticides.

Even then, it's still more sustainable than killing leopards and other animals for their furr.

I know right? :wink: I thought of you all when I saw her; I know it was a little mean to take her pic but at least it's anonymous. <Note the cartoon guy in the middle of the jacket is flashing leopard briefs.>

But I want to say even something like this could potentially look high fashion if interpreted as a celebration of colour and pattern and executed by Dries for example.
Someone like Jeremy Scott or Jean Charles de Castelbajac might do it in a different way (probably have--oh...they have :ninja:), kitch but still you know, à la mode, so to speak. IMO, it's all in the execution.

It's all (mostly) in the execution - I agree.

^^^ To be frank, a part of me can't help but say if she had a premium bag and some good heels from a luxury label, then her look would be instantly elevated to eccentric high style. But not everybody can afford-- or even care for designer.

It's great she's doing her own thing, and her color sensibility is really strong: Navy blue with all those animal prints in gold/ brown tones, and that candy-apple red in her shoes-- yes, her mix does bring Dries to mind... And for that, I genuinely prefer her style to all those peacock-types dripping in designer "it" pieces of a season looking like walking ads, any day. And it's someone like her, that could really work the hell out of a luxury, leopard-print bag.

I'm glad you snapped her and posted it!

You're right - it's doesn't look that bad, and it's unique. I would have done it differently though.

And I imagine she's reacting to that :smile: I probably would dress more rebelliously too if I lived in Paris! The only thing I really find to react to where I am (and in my industry) is excessive utilitarian wear, and too much sameness (and ugliness :ninja:) everywhere I look. I really came to despise synthetic fiber grey slacks the last place I worked ...

Definitely something you'd be more likely too see in Paris - it's more fitting, I think.

^^ Ta-ta the African community here has their own different, more flamboyant style, you see ladies wearing long colorful gowns in contrasting colours, with turbans, and it's quite lovely--I suspect she's coming from that colour-sensibility.

KingPanther, I can't believe we haven't mentioned Cartier. I was just in their store and saw some of their historical sketches--why not do some research on their designs and history, as they do leopard/panther beautifully and very luxe. That's their thing.
There's also a book published by Assouline on the history of the Cartier Panthere, it has lots of ideas executed beautifully.

http://www.assouline.com/cartier-panthere.html

Yes, I have had them in mind from the beginning, but what they do is different, but worth researching. Thanks

Exactly!! She definitely has something, and a strong colour sensibility--I do enjoy design challenges, looking at things with a different eye, and she certainly gives us food for thought. You're right, it's people like her that give us new ideas, not the cookie-cutter young Parisians in black skinny jeans.

You should come down here to Toronto, and you'll immediately start to appreciate even the Parisian kids in skinny black jeans LOL

I swear, Toronto is where style goes to die. People love their labels here, but there's absolutely no genuine style. There are a lot of those copycat peacocks... but no genuine style. (And I think there are plenty of synthetic-fiber grey slacks...)

Let's see more of your street snaps!

It is totally all about perception.

Leopard-print's been around since the 1950s, and every type's been wearing it, with every incarnation from unbelievably luxurious (my friend has a real leopard coat from YSL of the 1970s) to the most odious and cheap. Like its soulmate the motorcycle jacket, it is an iconic fashion imagery-- that can be ultra luxurious, high fashion statement, to the tackiest, trashiest cheap fashion. It's a concept that is totally dependent of the designer and the wearer to give it context.

I love it and it's a classic to me.

Absolutely agree. It depends on how you wear it. If it's a cheap crop top paired with some beady beat up leggings, then yeah, you might what to throw it out. But if its say, a Leopard print silk jacquard mini skirt from Dolce then yeah keep it. It's a classic and a staple, when done correctly. As almost every pattern .

Absolutely agree. It depends on how you wear it. If it's a cheap crop top paired with some beady beat up leggings, then yeah, you might what to throw it out. But if its say, a Leopard print silk jacquard mini skirt from Dolce then yeah keep it. It's a classic and a staple, when done correctly. As almost every pattern .

By dolce? Why would that matter?

Sorry for the late reoly, I've been really busy.

I have to say I am not too sure about a leopard silk mini ... but the reason Dolce makes a difference is they know how to do a good leopard print.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
user667sgn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->