Thin / Fine Hair

Haeranni

Reaction score
I have really thin shoulder length hair and it's really hard to maintain volume in it without cutting it short. Anyone have any advice on what types of haircut might be good? (I don't want to crop my hair short either:(angry:

I can only advise to dry your hair special way. Sit down, pull you head down this way that its almost on the same level as your knees, and start drying with a hairdrier. I advise that you sit instead of standing, cos your head can go round, take care.

I have the same problem. Fine hair. My only solution was cutting it shoulder lenght and adding A LOT of layers... now it looks much better than when I had it down to my back..

I got this shampoo from the vitamin section of local drugstore called Shen Min when I got this really crap haircut that made my thick hair really, really thin. It's technically shampoo for hair loss and thinning hair but it made my hair so much thicker and softer and shinier, and for $12 CAD. They have ointments and dietary supplements and stuff too, I'd highly, higly reccomend it. It's at http://www.shenmin.com if you can't find it in the drugstore. :wink:

^ Does this product thicken all hair, or does it only restore hair to its former thickness? I'm asking because if it only does the latter, I don't want to waste time trying it when I have always had fine hair.

This is the thread i needed to find. I think my hair might be getting thinner, or always was and i never noticed. Is there any advice out there for promoting hair growth and thickness?

I don't have thin/thinning hair, but the only thing that has worked for my fine hair thickness wise is doing what Luna did:

I have the same problem. Fine hair. My only solution was cutting it shoulder lenght and adding A LOT of layers... now it looks much better than when I had it down to my back..

Before everyone advised against having more than one or two layers (which didn't add any volume at all), but now I have an amazing hairdresser who really knows how to make many layers work and not look too 'choppy' on my fine hair. It does add quite a bit of volume even if I don't add any products to it.

He also recommended switching to a shampoo and conditioner specifically for fine hair, but I have yet to find an affordable one that I can buy nearby. He told me it would be a good idea to use a hair-dryer instead of drying my hair naturally. Another thing he said would help was washing my hair before I go to bed and sleeping with the hair brushed up above my head rather than flat underneath my head and shoulders. I've found that usually does add some volume, but I prefer to wash it in the morning.

I have done all of this and it has helped to a degree. It is not perfect for me, but I have to admit it has given the best results out of everything I've tried!

Has anyone else been told by their hairdresser that their hair is even too fine to be highlighted without severely damaging it/making it highly prone to damage?

Has anyone else been told by their hairdresser that their hair is even too fine to be highlighted without severely damaging it/making it highly prone to damage?

Sadly, I wasn't told (warned, rather), but it can break off because of highlights or lightening.

recently a friend of mine from work told me that crushing birth control pills and then putting then in your shampoo works for making your hair thicker and stronger.

i haven't tried this yet but her hair is very thick. she said that her hair before was very thin and it would fall out a lot.

buy some vitamins for hair/nails those work or fish oil supplements (they work if you take them everyday, as directed) they will make your hair grow out really fast and thick. its the best thing ive used.

buy some vitamins for hair/nails those work or fish oil supplements (they work if you take them everyday, as directed) they will make your hair grow out really fast and thick. its the best thing ive used.
i thought fish oil pills were only good for the heart?? I know Vitamin E is great for Nails/Skin/and Hair.

Thin hair?

I've always had thinner hair, nothing TOO thin, but definitely not thick either. I'm naturally fair haired and made the decision to dye my hair a dark brown twice. The problem is, I liked it for a few months, then hated it and wanted to go back to blonde.. but not just blonde, platinum. And I also made the decision to bleach it out myself... :S

So now, my previous thinNER hair is just THIN, and limp and gross and I hate it.

Any products you can recommend that help regain thickness or ways to style it or something?

I really think I have to give up the platinum too :(

i heard that bumble &bumble thickening spray is good... has anyone tried it?

I have thin hair and have found that past a certain length, there isn't much you can do to keep it from looking, well, thin. More length = more weight; weight x gravity x time = flat hair. Unfortunately.

There's all the stuff you read and hear about - blow dry hair upside down, use a volumizing mousse/wax/pomade and scrunch at the roots, sleep with your hair in pigtails, use hot rollers, etc. - and I can't say that it won't work for you, but I never got any significant volume until I cut my hair short. And even then it was still thin. :lol:

Even with short hair, none of the volumizing products worked for more than a few hours, with one (currently discontinued, blah!) exception. But mine is stick straight, thin, fine, and I have a both a weirdly shaped cranium and a slightly odd growth pattern, both of which accentuate my hair's thinness.

Oh, one more thing - I do the whole "no 'poo" thing, and my hair has more body and grip than before. So you may want to look into that, although the trade-off is that it doesn't give you that really silky, slippery hair that many people like.

^ you are so right. you can give your hair temporary volume but usually its VERY temporary and you can still tell beyond the first glance that the person's hair is not NATURALLY full.

i find the morning after washing my hair is always the best, 2nd day is okay, and by 3rd day it's about as unvoluminous as can be...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweerechtvier
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->