UK GQ June 2020 : The Heroes Issue

Benn98

Reaction score
According to 8Eight, more covers are coming.

Dua Lipa by Tung Walsh

DUA LIPA: 'YOU CAN'T ALLOW OTHER PEOPLE'S WORDS TO AFFECT YOUR GROWTH'
Photographer:
Tung Walsh
Stylist: Lorenzo Posocco
Hair: Syd Hayes
Make-Up: Lisa Eldridge
Model/Celebrity: Dua Lipa

gq-magazine.co.uk

Last edited:
I find it insultating calling this The Heroes Issue and having her on the cover :unsure:
I think you’ve missed the concept. By the quote that follows her cover I’m assuming it’s her choosing her heroes? And similarly for the other cover stars too perhaps.

Don't like Dua's cover at all. It wouldn't even work for a women's magazine, let alone a men's one. Everyone is so afraid of even a little bit of overt sensuality nowadays for fear of backlash. That's what I get from looking at (arguably) the most desirable pop star right now, swathed on loads of fabric that covers everything except her face, feet and hands.

I think you’ve missed the concept. By the quote that follows her cover I’m assuming it’s her choosing her heroes? And similarly for the other cover stars too perhaps.

I didn´t miss that, perhaps it´s best to expand my comment. I find it insulting to name this issue that and tying it with NHS workers and having a celebrity on the cover talking about her heroes. I find it frivolous and in poor taste. imo either have a celebrity and make it fashion or have more political oriented personalities. It feels exploitative to me.

I didn´t miss that, perhaps it´s best to expand my comment. I find it insulting to name this issue that and tying it with NHS workers and having a celebrity on the cover talking about her heroes. I find it frivolous and in poor taste. imo either have a celebrity and make it fashion or have more political oriented personalities. It feels exploitative to me.
Yeah, it's like they had all these editorials that were shot just before the crisis and said, "How do we tie this in with the current crisis?" as an afterthought.

Doesn't quite work.

Don't like Dua's cover at all. It wouldn't even work for a women's magazine, let alone a men's one. Everyone is so afraid of even a little bit of overt sensuality nowadays for fear of backlash. That's what I get from looking at (arguably) the most desirable pop star right now, swathed on loads of fabric that covers everything except her face, feet and hands.

Meanwhile Elle had her naked on their cover with nothing by a guitar, explain the logic to me....

Elle.com

Dina Asher-Smith by Elliott Wilcox

Gareth Southgate by Andrew Woffinden

When I first saw a tiny shot of this online, I thought she was wearing a wet T-shirt with Bernie Sanders on it.

^^^ Model, Activist and CEO from where? From the apartment where she lives with her husband and don't pay rent?

Emily looks gorgeous on her cover. Maybe the best that I've seen her look ever? But what a joke that she's included here. At least there's Dina Asher-Smith (although I don't like the cover much) and Dr. Dre? Man, that's cool. He is truly an icon between his production work, rap career and creation of the Beats headphone line. That's someone I'd like to see more often on covers. There was an interesting doc about him I watched on BBC Three a while ago.

This is a strange hodgepodge of imagery here, you can tell they were grasping at straws to try and make a concept work out of whatever imagery they had shot. I imagine Dua Lipa was a solo cover, with the others shot for inside perhaps and then somewhere along the line they decided to throw in a heroes concept?

DINA ASHER SMITH
Photographer:
Elliott Wilcox
Stylist: Calvin Opaleye
Hair: Virginie Moreira
Make-Up: Hila Karmand
Model/Celebrity: Dina Asher Smith

gq-magazine.co.uk

EMILY RATAJKOWSKI
Photographer:
Sebastian Bear-McClard (the husband)
Model: Emily Ratajkowski