Youth, Teens & HS trends

why_fashion said:
I just can not endure high school, I am now up to a point where I am too fed up with all those mobs at this age. I don't want to dress for fashion any more, that I will only dress up during holidays and on weekends. Those swarmmy people's world is merely as big as this school and their home, I am too good to even "compete" with them (I am being conciet, becuase of my inner abhorrent).
I think you should just not pay attention to them, their tastes in fashion (or lack thereof) shouldn't stop you from wearing whatever you like. Sometimes at school I feel over-dressed (even compared to my teachers), but I'd never let myself dress down to their level. One time I slept in and just blindly threw on a hoody and baggy jeans (which is what I normally wear around the house) and I didn't feel comfortable the entire day at school. I didn't feel like myself, and vowed never to do that again.. So I say, wear whatever you truly want to! :heart::flower:

^ I utterly understand the whole notion of being yourself, but it is somewhat surreal to do when you are stared at, insinuated, derided, even left out solely because you are being authentic. I am more dressed up than my teachers too to a point that a few of them sighed behind my back.
For spring 2007, I have a whole bunch of new stuff and trends (neons, sack dress, fancy tights, brogues, metallic clothes) in my waredrobe, but I just can't bother to wear them to school, because I know I'll be derided and stood at. It is also very hard to ignore these people, they are in your face during class and everywhere during lunch/after school. My resolution is to dress down, because I had enough. :flower:

why_fashion, I'm sorry to hear that you feel like you have to dress in way you wouldn't feel comfortable with because of your peers. I've seen it happen before, but maybe some people who look are admiring your style and bravery to dress up. When I see someone dressed up at school, I tend to glance. I offer compliment though, or at least a smile.
I'll admit though, I'm the complete opposite. I feel comfortable in jeans and a hoody and awkward with dressing up. Cheers!

i give props to the girls i go to high school with, if they're feeling really lazy they will wear dark grey or black thin linen wide sheer-like pants with longer plain AA t-shirts and maybe a zip up hoodie and still look like they put effort into getting ready.

alot of guys wear fred perry polos, straight leg jeans and vans. i've actually taken noticed to how much better people dress this year at my school because for a highschool in arkansas people actually dress way better than you'd imagine.

why_fashion said:
^ I utterly understand the whole notion of being yourself, but it is somewhat surreal to do when you are stared at, insinuated, derided, even left out solely because you are being authentic. I am more dressed up than my teachers too to a point that a few of them sighed behind my back.
For spring 2007, I have a whole bunch of new stuff and trends (neons, sack dress, fancy tights, brogues, metallic clothes) in my waredrobe, but I just can't bother to wear them to school, because I know I'll be derided and stood at. It is also very hard to ignore these people, they are in your face during class and everywhere during lunch/after school. My resolution is to dress down, because I had enough. :flower:

I soooo agree! I've given in as well. Nowadays I just throw on jeans, a tshirt and tennis shoes or flats. I don't like it at all, but I hate feeling like a freak. You see these people everyday of your life, it's not like you can just escape it and "be yourself".

I think you can. You need to have a certain amount of courage and remember that the people who are not with you because of what you wear are not worth your attention. I wouldn't spend any thoughts on people like that.

high school is pretty pathetic when it comes to fashion, i don't think it would be natural if it were any other way, people acknowledge what is familiar to them and anything else is just foreign and .....blah

For instance, a couple weeks ago, i wore a fire-engine red t-shirt with the famous logo on it and some burnt khaki pants and slip on shoes with a british flag on them.

while i thought my outfit was well put together and may i say "cute" i walked down the hallway and one girl i don't even know said "look he has the famous shirt" and it made me feel special for a second but coming from a trend wh*re like that, i guess i was just pleasing her juicy coture comfort zone.

fellow highschooler's don't stress it!!!!!!

:muscles: :muscles: :glare:

WhiteLinen said:
I think you can. You need to have a certain amount of courage and remember that the people who are not with you because of what you wear are not worth your attention. I wouldn't spend any thoughts on people like that.

Haha, well, I think it's more me than anything else. I actually get compliments when I dress up. But last year I wore a skirt (one that I typically wore, nothing to fancy, just a black cotton skirt that hit below the knee) on a very windy day. I spent the whole day trying to hold it down. My friends were making fun of me and my "Marilyn" moment. It was OK until I thought I heard some guys behind me talking crap. I'm not even sure if they were, but I haven't worn a skirt since then. It's pathetic, I know, but I'm such a wimp when it comes to things like that. It's not like the majority of people at my school are rude or judgmental (my school is VERY laidback), it's more about me and my insecurities.

LOL, OK, I'm done! :lol:

people at my school have pretty good fashion sense, i guess. a lot of girls wear american apparel dresses in bright colors, there's a lot of layering going on. i'm interested to see what everyone wears for springtime, though. but one thing that does bug me is that a lot of people wear those kahfiyah scarfs... it just seems to me that they do not realize what it might imply politicallly

xmodel citizen said:
Haha, well, I think it's more me than anything else. I actually get compliments when I dress up. It's not like the majority of people at my school are rude or judgmental (my school is VERY laidback), it's more about me and my insecurities.

I concur with the insecurity part:blush: , it's like when the majority dislikes you, it is too hard NOT to question yourself, regardless of high self confidence level. (hope you know what I mean).

^ Yeah, I understand. I'm not exactly a shy wallflower by any means, but it makes me very upset to hear things like that. Sometimes I'd rather be blah and not have to deal with it than be myself and run the risk of people saying things about me :(

A lot of it is insecurities, but it's worse at school. I have no problems dressing up on the weekends, but at school I feel so trapped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, glad to know I'm not the only one! I feel so weird, but oh well, it's over soon! (in less than 3 months actually :D)

xmodel citizen said:
Haha, well, I think it's more me than anything else. I actually get compliments when I dress up. But last year I wore a skirt (one that I typically wore, nothing to fancy, just a black cotton skirt that hit below the knee) on a very windy day. I spent the whole day trying to hold it down. My friends were making fun of me and my "Marilyn" moment. It was OK until I thought I heard some guys behind me talking crap. I'm not even sure if they were, but I haven't worn a skirt since then. It's pathetic, I know, but I'm such a wimp when it comes to things like that. It's not like the majority of people at my school are rude or judgmental (my school is VERY laidback), it's more about me and my insecurities.

Well, all I can say is that don't let some ***hole little boys have a choice in what you wear. Ignore them, they are not at your level.

CoutureTribe, I just noticed that your signature perfectly sums up the problem many of us are facing!

" Dressing up. People just don't do it anymore. We have to change that. The joy of dressing up is a form of art on its own" John Galli

it-boy's nature i guess i was just pleasing her juicy coture comfort zone.

^haha i don't know why but this witty statement amused me :D

i can totally relate to everyone trying to be different in a high school of clones. luckily my schools accepted that i like to dress in crazy styles & try out catwalk trends they've never heard of.

Reading through this makes me appreciate going to a uniformed all-girls school :lol:

serenade said:
Reading through this makes me appreciate going to a uniformed all-girls school :lol:

Life (well, the wardrobe part) would be so much easier! :blush:

fashion_boi_01 said:
I think you should just not pay attention to them, their tastes in fashion (or lack thereof) shouldn't stop you from wearing whatever you like. Sometimes at school I feel over-dressed (even compared to my teachers), but I'd never let myself dress down to their level. One time I slept in and just blindly threw on a hoody and baggy jeans (which is what I normally wear around the house) and I didn't feel comfortable the entire day at school. I didn't feel like myself, and vowed never to do that again.. So I say, wear whatever you truly want to! :heart::flower:

I saw your pic in the "Pictures of Us" thread and you have nothing to worry about!

xmodel citizen said:

I can completely relate with you. That's exactly why I don't wear skirts or dresses to school! I know my friends would tease me as well, and eventhough they don't mean it, it draws so much attention. And since the two years that I've been in high school, I've already given up.. so I do not appear as a the type of person to love fashion. I can already imagine people saying things like "Why would she wear that..." "That's not her style" etcetc. On the other hand, by not making myself appear fashionable (or at least appear like I care and know about fashion), people don't believe I want to be in fashion! That includes my parents- who are doubting if they should send me to Parsons or not. Ahhhh. And if I DO look put together, people always say things like "Gawd you're so rich!" and if I wear plainer things like from Gap, American Apparel, or brands they don't know, people ask where I get this.. where I get that... I mean, must I always tell you? I'm kinda greedy. I don't really like telling people where I like to shop, since I'm scared we'll have the same things, and they get the credit. Actually this has happened before.. where I told a popular/rich/snobbish kinda friend about many brands and stores. She gets the credit for her nice clothing, which I sometimes can't afford. I couldn't help it though, because I really wanted to prove that I'm into fashion! She believes me. No one else seems to. I'm so fed up. I would muchmuch rather appear nicer, but I am also very insecure :( Did that blab make sense? :judge:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
user667sgn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->