Alexander McQueen's new denim line

faust said:
I've found McQueen to be an interesting bridge between the creative and the commercial. I think it's because he is both a very talented designer and a part of a conglomerat with big advertising bucks. There are people here who love him and Gucci/Prada, and those who like him and Chalayan.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

it was only a matter of time that the denim line cash cow was lauched:rolleyes:

from ppr.com
11/4/2005 : Gucci

Alexander McQueen and SINV SpA announce the launch of ‘McQ – Alexander McQueen’

London, November4 2005 : Alexander McQueen today announces plans to launch a denim-based ready-to-wear line under a new label, 'McQ – Alexander McQueen '. The project is set to launch worldwide for the Autumn-Winter 2006 season.

The 'McQ' collections will include both men's and women's ready-to-wear and accessories and will be exclusively designed by Alexander McQueen. The new collections will allow Alexander McQueen's internationally acclaimed design ethos to reach a much wider audience whilst complementing the brand’s existing highly successful main line collections of luxury ready-to-wear and accessories. The new label will be distributed worldwide in selected stores from June 2006.

The collections will be manufactured and distributed worldwide by SINV SpA under the terms of a five-year licence agreement with Alexander McQueen.

Alexander McQueen commented: "I am very excited about this partnership, which will add a new and inspiring dimension to the McQueen world. The focus of this collection will be younger and more renegade but always signature McQueen.”

Massimo Braglia, SINV SpA’s CEO commented: "We are ecstatic that an innovative talent of the calibre of Alexander McQueen has chosen us from a group of excellent competitors for the birth of his new line. This new license integrates perfectly with the SINV portfolio and boosts our presence in the high-quality prêt-a-porter industry."

Personally, knowing McQueen, the line would probably be over-the-top. and paying 500+ for trashy, denim-focused clothes isnt exactly sane.

djflame,I know exactly what you're saying. But knowing McQueen's cutting,I assume these will be a cut(no pun)above the rest of the crap out there in terms of quality. That said,they don't look particularly special in terms of style. Really,if I were to spend that much on McQueen I'd get something from p-a-p.

i have yet to see a pair of his denim worn out, i'm wondering how they look on

faust said:
Yes, we do. We need as much as it takes to drown all the bubbleheads in it. It'll be like the denim version of the Great Flood. It'll be fun to watch, especially if you have a nice balcony.

It's been over half a year since you posted that faust, but lmao:lol:

Yay i cant wait! :woot: I hope some place in Chicago sells them

The tank isn't too bad, but then I saw the price. :blink:

BG-0L23_ap.jpg

BG-0L23_mp.jpg

Tank-$235
Faded Jeans-$295

(bergdorf)

AlexN said:
Like McDonalds. Mick Q. Mick cue. Whatever.

The jeans in the runway pic Brian posted are :sick: . That logoing is horrible. No more tasteful than any of those generic trendy crap logo-y denim labels like Seven For All Mankind, etc. :yuk:

I believe it's more MuckEwe (rhymes with F*** You ...) :wink:

I too don't see anything wrong with branching out (diffusing) per se, and I think it can be done well. I don't care for the jeans pictured, but I'm not exactly a denim afficionado. He seemed to be doing interesting stuff with the Puma line ...

It seems to me the thing to mourn was his last signature collection. Perhaps fall will be a huge improvement ...

im all for it... not too sure about the denim but i doubt there will mostly be denim. i've heard it will just be a lower ranged line aimed at those who want to wear Mc Queen on a daily basis

YAY TO McQ!

I think it's great Alexander finaly joined Chloé and all the other major brands! Now I too can buy his clothes! I personally think spending 1300 dollars on a skirt is insane ( I only buy handbags and boots that expensive). I am a big spender, and I do spend a lot on clothes and other things,but those prices are crazy. 150-300 dollars for a shirt is ok, and 400 for a skirt is alright too. I wear a lot of see by Chloé (paired with signature Chloé), which looks just like the main line, the price is the only difference, and what a difference it is! You should all try the cheaper clothes, since we can't all be millionaires!

GGA said:
I think it's great Alexander finaly joined Chloé and all the other major brands! Now I too can buy his clothes! I personally think spending 1300 dollars on a skirt is insane ( I only buy handbags and boots that expensive). I am a big spender, and I do spend a lot on clothes and other things,but those prices are crazy. 150-300 dollars for a shirt is ok, and 400 for a skirt is alright too. I wear a lot of see by Chloé (paired with signature Chloé), which looks just like the main line, the price is the only difference, and what a difference it is! You should all try the cheaper clothes, since we can't all be millionaires!

It's just a matter of priorities, really. Some people would rather buy an expensive handbag that is recognizably expensive rather than the ready to wear whose worth is only evident by those in the know... whereas others put their focus on the clothes themselves.

So yeah, it is in the eye of beholder if a skirt is worth spending 1000 dollars and up for a piece of ready to wear, but the same goes for designer accessories collections... I also don't see how the argument is valid that the shoes and bags will last you longer, given the fact that certain signature pieces (the ones that people are fighting to get their hands on and that are plastered all over the magazines) are very recognizably "it" in a certain time. One thing I know is that it demands attitude to wear particular clothing, not so a designer's handbag though.

Well, shoes and handbags do actually last longer, since they don't have to be washed all the time, like clothes do. Leather is much more durable than fabric. Besides, classic bags and shoes will always be in fashion.

GGA said:
Well, shoes and handbags do actually last longer, since they don't have to be washed all the time, like clothes do. Leather is much more durable than fabric. Besides, classic bags and shoes will always be in fashion.
It would make sense if we were talking about Hermès Kelly bags or a classic Louboutin court pumps, but let's face it, the majority of women tend to buy trendy it-bags - I don't think women buy a b-bag, silverado or whatsoever with the objective in mind that it'll last you a long time. handbags are to women what cars are for a certain type of men, they give status and a little bit of self-confidence and social status, without necessarily having to identify with a certain image. It's much easier to wear a crazy bag than a particular piece of clothing as it is not so much related to the body and the personality of the person that wears it. If you want, it's more "confirmed" and seen as "valid" whereas with the clothing, it is about individual taste.

I think a lot of women don't feel comfortable keeping with a style as a lot of men do, they like to be versatile and change images according to what is in fashion (I am not generalizing but trying to be objective about what is on offer). It's also much more about accessorization in womenswear as it is in menswear, so that naturally adds to the importance of accessories.

Some designer's garments will last you just as long as a leathergoods piece would, take for instance anything from Yohji Yamamoto, Azzedine Alaia or Ann Demeulemeester (judging on what is already on the market and people's closets for many years) as examples. It's also evident in the romance of vintage couture, people were taking much better care of their clothes back then as they do these days, even if it was an expensive designer. It's a pity, really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I think you are right about women not wanting to stick to styles that are no longer 'it'. However, if you choose carfully, and only buy things you really, really like (like I did when I bought my prada flap bag), than keeping it for years and years and carrying it with pride is not a problem for me. I think buying, say, a burberry trenchcoat or classic chanel bag (or like you said Louboutin pumps) it is no problem spending a lot.

I also think it's rather silly to buy a bag or shoes just because they're 'it' at that moment. I never got the whole balanciaga lariat/motorcycle bag thing, but I did buy a paddington, just because I love it. A saleswomen at a high-end boutique in the Netherlands recently told me she wouldn't trade her spy for anything, not even the B-bag. Now that's someone who truely loves her purchases.

When it comes to clothing, I like to identify with the image-McQueen's novak (and prada's flap bag) just make me feel like a 50's lady. No 'it' bag of the moment could give me that feeling!

Spacemiu said:
I think a diffusion line for younger people sounds nice. But why are the price so damn high?
Exactly! It's like what the hell is the point then?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericqn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->