Bettina Komenda - Photographer

luxmode

woolgathering
Reaction score
bettina.jpg
Vienna-based freelance photographer Bettina Komenda has worked for international fashion magazines such as Dazed & Confused, Selfservice and i-D, as well as with labels Callaghan, Hermès, Nike, Christian Lacroix and Gaspard Yurkievich.

Born in Innsbruck/Austria, Komenda studied graphic design and art at the University of Applied Arts, Vienna. When she started to take pictures professionally at the age of 27, her first fashion editorial was published in the Austrian magazine Ahead. Her breakthrough as a fashion photographer came with the publication of child portraits in The Face. It showed children wearing outfits by Prada, Jil Sander and Alexander McQueen in adult poses. Main characteristic of her work, which has been presented in various exhibitions and publications, is the conceptual and perfectly staged look and feel of the photographs.

In 2001, her first book was published entitled “Kinder” featuring child portraits. In 2003, she collaborated with artist Svetlana Heger in a project funded by the Austrian manufacturer Wolford.

http://www.contemporaryfashion.net/index.php/none/more/1071/uk/profile.html

We needed a thread about her! ^_^ I finally found her agency's website, so I was able to steal some images for everyone's veiwing pleasure.

Here's the site: http://www.blanpiedrubini.com/

For Purple (and Wolford, I think).

ko19_01.jpg

ko19_05.jpg

ko19_06.jpg

I don't remember seeing her Callaghan ads...there are quite a few on her site...

kop03_01.jpg

I think her studies in graphic design have really shaped her work. She has an amazing, enviable understanding of negative space and composition. I love the staged/conceptual quality of her work too. *sigh*

ko23_05.jpg

^ i really like that photo w/ the blue outfit. i posted this bettina picture in a makeup thread

callaghan-01-01.jpg

luxmode said:
:heart::heart::heart:
this is really exciting!
i also love the yurkievich pictures...i did not know her at all, thank you luxmode!

love this. god, i didnt even know garpard yurkievich had ads!.
very nice, i like how the person in the first pics looks like a normal non-model person.

i'm stealing the callaghan pic!.

omg, MulletProof! what a perfect avatar...good eye!

you're welcome anna k! :flower:

LOVE Bettina Komenda! Thank you LuxMode :flower:

Her "Kinder" images are beautiful. There was one I posted on here a long time ago(can't remember which thread)of a little girl dressed in excessive jewellery. I think I got it from Unit-F in their projects section. That blue coat though....that was an Andre Walker story in Purple...I love story.

About Gaspard's adverts,he's been doing them for a while now. They're usually in i-D and Purple mostly. Perhaps,other indie mags as well. I remember the ones he did with those shoes and the knife blade heels. I think Bettina did those too.

^
yes, i know the image from unit-f, it came up when i did a search for this thread. it's beautiful.
what really bothers me is that i have never seen purple magazine in germany...

Do you live near Berlin? Pro-QM and I believe Apartment has Purple available. Also you can order directly from the web site which is the only way I've been able to obtain any copies whatsoever....because it isn't really easy to get in the US.

Do you ever read Style & The Family Tunes...or ever Qvest? Qvest is now defunct but Ninette Murk suggested both to me saying they were the best. Both being German,that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
no, i'm in munich but i'm going to berlin from time to time...i'll have a look, thanks scott.
i have bought a few issues of style & the family tunes and it is not bad but their aesthetic doesn't really appeal to me.
unfortunately i am not familiar with qvest but the name rings a bell somehow...edit: i just did a quick search and it must have been quite famous...i overslept that one:blush:

luxmode, sorry for so much off-topic-ness!

you're welcome scott and thanks for the info about bettina :flower: please post pics if you have any! I would love to see more of her work...she's so talented.

I'll try to find more stuff...promise! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nocknock
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->