Model Casting F/W 06.07

Callidora

Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find a thread on this, but I thought it might be interesting to have a thread to discuss general casting choices for the new shows, since the show threads usually only talk about the clothes, not the models. By analyzing show castings, you can figure out which established girls are hotter than ever, who is cooling off, what new girls are about to explode onto the fashion scene.

The most interesting recent development is Prada's strange casting.
New face Anna-Mariya Urajevskaya opened and closed the show, and many of Prada's usual faces were missing. Here's what models.com had to say about it:
As expected it’s the Prada FW 06 cabine that has come to have the most impact on the new model market. Apart from trying to read the tea leaves on the girls omitted this season, the headline news last night was the launch of the new Russian sensation Anna Mariya who exited as Look 1.
Of the 'girls omitted,' I would probably think of Daria, Raquel Zimmermann, Jeisa Chiminazzo, Behati Prinsloo who did the show in the spring but was absent, Lily Donaldson, among others. All I can think is that Miuccia wanted to go in a new, darker direction and wanted a new lineup to match that.

Other interesting things I've noticed: Gemma seemed to have a less than stellar New York week, even before she bowed out of the final few days. But Milan seems to love her as always. I'm wondering if IMG pulled her out on purpose or not.

Things seem to be declining for Isabeli Fontana (one of my personal faves), who is still #3 on models.com but has only done a few shows, and none of the majors.:(

Bette Janke was heating up New York as the hottest new face, imo, but since Milan has started she did Jil Sander, but I haven't seen her anywhere else.

Freja Beha Erichsen seems to be having the best season so far; by my calculations she leads Daria in show opens 7 to 6. I still fail to understand her immense appeal to designers, but oh well.^_^

I know someone who knows Gemma, and apparently she got sick near the end of NY fashion week, with the flu.

the modelling world is constantly changing. big one day and out the next.

i just figured this was a reflection of that

interesting thread! prada did seem to have quite a few newbies

I think this Anna Maria girl will get the Prada campaign. Sometimes I get tired of Miuccia always wanting to be straightforward and innovative when it comes to her models. It looks like she always want to discover new models, but that is of course the impact Miuccia probably has. If I had a clothing line, I wouldn't use Sasha P. for an ad campaign (FW06), just because she has done Prada now for 2 seasons. Then it'll look like you use Prada's dismissed model. But that's just my opinion.

style_expert said:
I think this Anna Maria girl will get the Prada campaign. Sometimes I get tired of Miuccia always wanting to be straightforward and innovative when it comes to her models. It looks like she always want to discover new models, but that is of course the impact Miuccia probably has. If I had a clothing line, I wouldn't use Sasha P. for an ad campaign (FW06), just because she has done Prada now for 2 seasons. Then it'll look like you use Prada's dismissed model. But that's just my opinion.

I agree about Sasha. I feel like she is a Prada icon now, and even though I have grown to like her, I can't even imagine her in another ad venue; she is like a Prada 'icon' now. Luca Gadjus was a Prada icon; and she faded away after, and thankfully was able to make a comeback, but never to be as big as she was. And now that I think of it, the only show I've seen Luca in this season is Marc Jacobs.

I've been wondering about Luca, But Luca was still in high school when she was in Prada, she went to university and was only modelling part time. Only about a year or 2 ago was she modelling full time.

This season worries me, the model casting seems to be very spread out, with too many models too little shows. Its apparent the newer models are really pushing out the older faces this season more than ever. Julia Stegner, Elise Crombez, Jeisa Chiminazzo, Jessica Stam, Marija Vujovic, Caroline Winberg and especially Tiiu are not having as good of seasons as they are used to. Worrying because the models replacing them are the new wave of asian models (which isnt a bad thing), Tanya D, Snejana, Freja, and all the anemic looking models.

Prada was weird, she used hardly any of her "icons" which she usually does. Hoping for them to show up in Miu Miu at least..

Classic beauties lost out this season to some scary looking girls.:ninja: :alien: :shock:

model_mom said:
Classic beauties lost out this season to some scary looking girls.:ninja: :alien: :shock:

That's just what I wanted to say. I think Prada might have skipped Daria, because she is so close with Chanel/Karl Lagerfeld now.

style_expert said:
That's just what I wanted to say. I think Prada might have skipped Daria, because she is so close with Chanel/Karl Lagerfeld now.

That's interesting. I think you actually might be right. Karl seems more devoted to Daria than ever, esp. having her open and close Fendi today. Plus I do feel that Daria has gotten to the point where her main brand is...Daria. And I feel like Prada is very much into its own image as cutting edge and new; Miuccia wants her clothes, not the model, to do the talking.

Callidora said:
That's interesting. I think you actually might be right. Karl seems more devoted to Daria than ever, esp. having her open and close Fendi today. Plus I do feel that Daria has gotten to the point where her main brand is...Daria. And I feel like Prada is very much into its own image as cutting edge and new; Miuccia wants her clothes, not the model, to do the talking.

You're right. I think Daria is not exclusive enough anymore for Miuccia. I even think Miuccia is having enough of Sasha now, because I expected Sasha to open or at least close the Prada show, which she didn't. Sasha was now just 'one of the other' girls. Apparently Miuccia wants only 'exclusives' for her campaigns and her show openings. And that's a kind of attitude I only see at Prada at this moment.

well... hana seems to do less show than she always does...
that worried me..

i'm worried about heather marks also...she'isn;t doing any bad shows by any mean but definetly not as many as previous seasons. i agree with you yourbestfriend..it sucks that all these new girls are taking over..i know that our favorites won't go away completely, but still...i want them to be in all the shows..not just certain ones :(

Hana,Julia,Anja,Marija,Jeisa(basically all models who are classical beauties/normal looking) have been replaced by weird looking girls.So disappointing

She used to be in all major shows.This season she's not doing Prada,Burberry,Pucci,Belstaff in Milan.

^ okay but I can't name one model that has done all the shows. I think Freja comes close. I actually had this feeling that Anja is still used a lot for catwalk work.

Besides Gemma, a lot of the older :smile:blink: .. I can't believe I just refferred to Gemma as older).. girls are fading. I expected Daria to be HUGE when she came back, and she's doing very very well.. but her ommission at Prada was puzzling to me. Prada's casting was weird, Jeisa, Elise, Jessica Stam, Lily, Diana Dondoe, Raquel, usually always do her shows, but this season it was almost all new faces.

Freja has sort of grown on me.. a little.. very little.. but I don't think I will ever understand her immense popularity either.. she seems to be opening every other show I view on style.com

Snejana is everywhere.. I like her (see my avatar), so i don't really have any complaints there.

Irina L. is everywhere too, I think her look is really in right now with the designers.

Hilary Rhoda was everywhere in NY.. but she's almost nowhere in Milan (Salvatorre, Alessandro Dell Acqua, Just Cavalli, Emilio Pucci, and just today Versace). I love her on the runway so hopefully she'll be doing more in Paris (I think she's guaranteed pretty much Balenciaga and Ungaro.. and most likely Chanel)

I don't get Han.. she was at Gucci, Marc Jacobs, etc, I don't get how she is exploding this season. I don't get this season's preference for the less attractive girls. I think Miyuki Koizumi is beautiful, but I sometimes think maybe she is too generically pretty for what the market wants right now.

The girls I feel I've seen the most of so far (NY+Milan) are Solange, Snejana, Freja, Sasha and Vlada.

Also Flavia, Julia Dunstall, Behati, Irina L.

So definitely the season of newish girls

OlgaKorbut said:
The girls I feel I've seen the most of so far (NY+Milan) are Solange, Snejana, Freja, Sasha and Vlada.

Also Flavia, Julia Dunstall, Behati, Irina L.

So definitely the season of newish girls

Solange had a great New York, but she's definitely faded in Milan, which sucks because of the newish girls, I prefer her to the others. Snejana had a pretty good NY but has picked up momentum in Milan with her MaxMara and Dolce opens. Freja is tied with Daria for most show opens, 8 a piece (although Freja has opened fewer 'important' shows than Daria). Sasha had a great NY, but even though she's walked a lot of Milan shows, she's not being highlighted as much. Vlada has the most shows under her belt, but is less discriminating; it seems she'll walk for almost anyone.

Julia, Behati and Irina are all having solid seasons, but of the 3 I'd say Behati has done the best. I actually expected Irina to be the major new face of the season, and she hasn't picked up quite the momentum I thought she would. The only open she had was Max Azria in New York.

I must say I'm surprised at the rather large disparity between the models used heavily in Ny vs. Milan. I'd say there are only 4 girls who have done very well in both: Freja, Daria, Sasha, and Vlada. In New York, Lily Donaldson, Caroline Trentini, Behati, Iselin Steiro, Solange, and Hilary were big, but all have lost momentum. Gaining momentum in Milan are Gemma, Snejana, Natasha, Raquel, Mariacarla, and Julia Dunstall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->