Model Trends Over The Years

Lara Stone had revamped the gap tooth trend. There was Lindsey Wixson, Ashley Smith, and Georgia May Jagger. Also 2010 editorial-wise and on a lot of the runways (Fall 2010) did have girls who were sexy. Remember Prada, Louis Vuitton, Giles. Model trends don't only need to happen on the runway even though it's obvious most of the time it starts on the runway and continues into the campaigns and editorials

I remember that. The Prada show Samantha Gradoville opened was supposed to be all about sexuality and femininity...and boobs were apparently a huge criteria in the casting. LV did a show like that too. That was pretty much set off by Lara Stone. I remember people saying "boobs are in" and "sex is in." It seemed like there was a lot more nudity in editorials too than today..maybe because Lara was everywhere. It was a short lived trend though.

I remember when Lindsey Wixson's first polaroids came out and industry people like Craig McDean and Donatella were talking about how she's "so sexy at 15" which is essentially her Lara like features with the big lips, big boobs. Then came Ashley Smith...I call them the Lara Lolitas.

There's definitely less of that "in your face sexuality" today.

I wonder if all the Kate Upton success will regenerate a new trend/micro-trend..

Are we watching the same fashion shows? And who are the Lara Stone remakes? :blink:

Yeah, I don't see it as a trend either. I mean, yeah, there may be some girls who have some similar characteristics who came after Lara, but their number is too insignificant to make it a trend. That's like saying there was a Jamie Bochert trend just because Meghan Collison broke through after.

As far as the current male models trend goes, I have to say I hate it. I miss the "beef-cake" (I hate that term though) look that was dominant in mid-late 2000s. Dolce casts were the epitome of all that. The whole biker/rocker boys of today are just NO.

^thank you HeatherAnne I am not sure if you guys know what a trend is but I've heard the term "3 makes it a trend"

As HeatherAnne and I have stated Hailey Clauson, Ashley Smith, Georgia May Jagger, Daphne Groeneveld, Lindsey Wixson, Frida Aasen all are models who fit this trend of blonde, gab-tooth, wide foreheads, eyes with low eyebrows and full lips in some combination resembling Bridgitte Bardotte

it stayed quite long, from Lara's peak-climbing at 2008 till last year.

Yeah, I don't see it as a trend either. I mean, yeah, there may be some girls who have some similar characteristics who came after Lara, but their number is too insignificant to make it a trend. That's like saying there was a Jamie Bochert trend just because Meghan Collison broke through after.

I was just curious who those Lara Stone remakes were? Do casting directors/agencies hire girls specifically because they look similar to the top model/It girl of the moment? Should we expect more Cara, Karlie, Julia lookalikes in the future? :o

As far as the current male models trend goes, I have to say I hate it. I miss the "beef-cake" (I hate that term though) look that was dominant in mid-late 2000s. Dolce casts were the epitome of all that. The whole biker/rocker boys of today are just NO.

I agree, being muscular is like a stigma in high fashion nowadays just like having breasts and other 'womanly assets'. That's why I don't agree with the 'sexy and plus size' trend theory because I see none, none that are successful anyway (Kate Upton seems to be but look how shunned she is :ninja: )

I was just curious who those Lara Stone remakes were? Do casting directors/agencies hire girls specifically because they look similar to the top model/It girl of the moment? Should we expect more Cara, Karlie, Julia lookalikes in the future? :o

Lara's peak were pushed by Miuccia and Karl, and then the type came out clear when Lindsey and Daphne debuted. and it was the VS model for high fashion effect making the sexy girl trend more steady. then everyone else came out.

as for now, Julia Nobis' "bland face" as you said in other thread is a big popular. I think the trend will stay. but for cases like Cara and Karlie, to me they just got on the right hype to make them big.

I don't know, it seems like connect the dots but the dots are very far and few :unsure: and I wouldn't term the majority of girls doing fashion week the last couple of seasons as sexy but I do agree with the last part of your comment :flower: It's so obvious isn't it?

Lara's peak were pushed by Miuccia and Karl, and then the type came out clear when Lindsey and Daphne debuted. and it was the VS model for high fashion effect making the sexy girl trend more steady. then everyone else came out.

as for now, Julia Nobis' "bland face" as you said in other thread is a big popular. I think the trend will stay. but for cases like Cara and Karlie, to me they just got on the right hype to make them big.

After reading reviews and beauty reports on this past season's fashion week, it seems like the new trend is this "intellectual beauty" which they pair up with words like "boyish", "handsome", and "masculine." (By the way, I don't agree with this at all. I don't think someone's intelligence has anything to do with their features, body type etc)
Unfortunately, I think the trends will be moving far away from that sexy, pouty, Lara, busty, bombshell hair type of girl (unless Kate Upton and the VS girls can save it!). Lara's Lolitas seem to be focusing more on money type work than hype work too.
I think we will see more faces similar to Cara--dark, flat brows, "boyish" facial structures (Marine D) and more super tall girls similar to Karlie (Vanessa A comes to mind). If anything, it looks like high fashion is back in action.

^^ but the dots were pretty clear and they all made huge success in previous seasons, everyone was talking about it. and practically it was one obvious trend at the moment.

After reading reviews and beauty reports on this past season's fashion week, it seems like the new trend is this "intellectual beauty" which they pair up with words like "boyish", "handsome", and "masculine." (By the way, I don't agree with this at all. I don't think someone's intelligence has anything to do with their features, body type etc)

I was wondering how to call it, thanks for the name. I think Saskia, Marie Piovesan, Marine Deleeuw, Amanda Murphy and some other girls are this type, but not quite sure if this trend would be pushed as hard as the bland face( Dior, Jil Sander, Calvin Klein, and then all major houses.) but for Cara, I don't think she belongs to this type.

Unfortunately, I think the trends will be moving far away from that sexy, pouty, Lara, busty, bombshell hair type of girl (unless Kate Upton and the VS girls can save it!). Lara's Lolitas seem to be focusing more on money type work than hype work too.
I think we will see more faces similar to Cara--dark, flat brows, "boyish" facial structures (Marine D) and more super tall girls similar to Karlie (Vanessa A comes to mind). If anything, it looks like high fashion is back in action.

So basically the requirements to become a model now are - tall and awkward looks :o

^^ but the dots were pretty clear and they all made huge success in previous seasons, everyone was talking about it. and practically it was one obvious trend at the moment.

I was wondering how to call it, thanks for the name. I think Saskia, Marie Piovesan, Marine Deleeuw, Amanda Murphy and some other girls are this type, but not quite sure if this trend would be pushed as hard as the bland face( Dior, Jil Sander, Calvin Klein, and then all major houses.)

I think it's the same name as the bland face! Everything I've read cited the new looks at Dior, Jil Sander, Calvin Klein etc as "intellectual beauty" with some photos of Julia Nobis and Cara. They described it as a bare canvas face with nothing too striking except for maybe a "bold boyish brow." Fluttery lashes, flushed lips and cheeks, highlights and bronzing and glowy skin are out. It's less about "pretty" and more about "handsome"...in my personal opinion, I think it's such a sexist way to differentiate it as such. There are some interviews around with Pat McGrath talking about her interpretation of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
really? well, how about the girls I mentioned above, is there a name for the trend?

^^ I think they all fall under the "intellectual beauty" trend. I will go and find the articles for you. Saskia, Marine D, Marie P, Julia N, Cara D and a lot of the latest newcomers (Mijo, Kel Markey etc) have these "handsome" traits"--essentially they were trying to say they don't have traditionally feminine and sexy qualities. They don't look like the kind of girls who would "doll up" or "glamourize" but they're more "assuming masculinity." I understand what Pat McGrath was trying to say but in a way it was totally sexist and furthers gender stereotypes.

it's so funny in my understanding that bland faces are Julia Nobis, Tilda Linstam, Juliana Schurig, Sasha Luss, Ashleigh Good and others. but these two types(Julia and Saskia) are often cast together for now. but I don't see them as one certain type.

80s-90s: The All-American perfect looking girl
90s: the individual look (the supermodel)
late 90s: the waif heroin chic
late 90s: Brazilian takeover
early 200s: androgynous girls
early 2000s: Tom Ford era (overly sexy)
mids 2000s: Eastern European wave
2004: The baby doll and alien girls
2007-2009: the clone wars
2009: the socialite model
2010: the Lara Stone remakes
2010-present: the sexy girls and plus size, rise of the asian models
So what are everyone's thoughts since the beginning list?

I know there's been a definite Dutch Domination that started around 2011

There was also a definite brunette peak.

Any other trends anyone has spotted?

Unfortunately diversity is still way down.

Slimane's ugly girls are certainly gaining steam on every runway...

Also a trend of young bland/blank slate type girls.

I'm hard pressed to see many sexy girls. Very disheartened with the ugly trend that also comes out of Proenza. Why can't designers see that more attractive girls enhance their clothes ala the old supers. Seems like the "uglies" don't last long either because there is always another around and they can't transition to VS or commercial so the blip cycle gets even faster. There are no "unique" girls on the mdc money list and very few on top 50. The more attractive get the money.

Eastern European girls are taking over the reigns again. Most of them have an elfin-esque look (Nastya, Ola, Maja, Harleth, Eva, Luss, Liss + Natalie W.).

There's also this wave of bland but undeniably gorgeous young girls (Ine, Julia B, Julie H, Kate G, Maartje)

The mature trend is sadly over. Maybe it has something to do with the wish of women to look eternally young.

^I disagree. I think Eastern European girls are on the wane. Their type of beauty (lush, girlish features) runs counter to the androgynous, plain look that is now in vogue (Julia B, Ines). Even Anna Ewers is kind of plain and lifeless imo, like a washed out Brigitte Bardot.

I guess "asexual" would be a good way to describe the prevailing look.

it's so funny in my understanding that bland faces are Julia Nobis, Tilda Linstam, Juliana Schurig, Sasha Luss, Ashleigh Good and others. but these two types(Julia and Saskia) are often cast together for now. but I don't see them as one certain type.

Sasha Luss is the opposite of bland. She just happens to have a really striking face that would probably do well in an generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriss00
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->