Peggy Dillard

Interview from Huffington Post by Karim Orange:

Peggy Dillard Toone consumes you with a robust grace the moment you hear her voice. Her voice is soft and delicate, but her spirit is sturdy and strong. She is a combination of a Southern peach and a New York apple: sweet and tender, yet crisp and firm. Her philosophy is that beauty is a mental process. Raised in Greensville, South Carolina, she was the youngest of 13 children. Peggy moved to New York at age 17 to study fashion, art and music at Pratt Institute, but little did Peggy know the world would study her. She became a major icon in Japan, being in one of the first television commercials modeling lingerie, which at the time was still considered taboo in America. Peggy was the second black model to ever grace the cover of Vogue magazine. She also founded the iconic Turning Heads Salon in Harlem, New York City, which was instrumental in creating the first natural black hair care curriculum for licensing in New York State. She now spends her time between South Carolina and New York with her husband, renowned artist Lloyd Toone.

Q: What are your early memories of beauty growing up?

A: It was everywhere you looked. It was the trees, the earth. It was my family. Everything we needed to maintain beauty grew in our backyard. We used to play in the red clay that was near my house. My mother used the same clay to make cookies to eat and masks for our face.
Q: What was the difference between the women you grew up with in South Carolina and the women you met when you came to New York to pursue school, fashion and modeling?

A: There really wasn't much of a difference. The teachers in my school in the '50s and '60s were very fashionable and dressed like women you wanted to look like. My mother made costumes so I understood artistic expression.
Q: What was it like being a black model pioneer in the '70s? How did this influence how you saw beauty?
A: I was very confident in my look. I didn't aspire to be a thin waif-type model, with an unhealthy body type. I was physically fit and natural and that's what I became known for.
Q: Why did you start Turning Heads Salon? Was there a strong need for 'natural' black hair care in the mid '80s as apposed to the '70s when, as you say, most black women were wearing natural afros?
A: There was a need for a license to do black hair that didn't require a chemical. I was glad to be a part of the curriculum that started this, and now one can make a living doing this. It's a part of our cultural rights to have this option. We were at that time known for helping women making transitions from chemical hair to natural hair, which is a very spiritually moving process.
Q: What are your favorite beauty rituals and philosophies now?

A: Beauty is a mental process. My mother used to say, 'The cow does not give milk
without a little lipstick.' Meaning, make an effort on a daily basis. Take time with yourself. My philosophy is to incorporate the elements into a beauty regimen. Drink enough water, breath enough air, walk on the earth and get enough sun, or heat. My favorite rituals always involve water. I love baths for spiritual and physical purposes. I have a [chlorine-free] mineral pool in South Carolina.
Q: How is beauty celebrated and shared in your life today?

A: I share beauty with others by sharing my two guest houses. One in New York, called Villa 121, and one in South Carolina, called Villa 681. People come and stay. I create a warm holistic environment that stimulates all the five senses. I'm also a firm believer that cleanliness and beauty walk hand and hand.

huffingtonpost.com

US Vogue February 1980

^Thank you for sharing all the great links, fashionfan222!

Fast Changes
Photo Patrick Demarchelier
Models Peggy Dillard & Lori Hamilton
Hair Garren
Makeup Joey Mills

My scans

US Vogue January 1979

Photo Albert Watson
Model Peggy Dillard
Hair Kerry Warn
Makeup Way Bandy

eBay.com

Vogue Patterns January/February 1979

What Works 12 Months a Year
Photo Barry Lategan
Models Karen Bjornson, Christie Brinkley & Peggy Dillard
Hair Garren

Scans by EH

US Harper's Bazaar August 1980

Easy Glamour: The Sensuous Side of Evening
Photo Uli Rose
Models Valerie Lohr, Peggy Dillard, Unknown, Brynja Sverris? & Kelly LeBrock
Hair Sadao of Suga
Makeup Anthony Clavet

Scans by EH

US Vogue August 1978

Photo Albert Watson
Model Peggy Dillard
Hair Kerry Warn
Makeup Way Bandy

Scans by EH

Bill Haire for Friedricks Sport 1978

US Vogue August 1978
Model Peggy Dillard

Scan by EH

US Harper's Bazaar February 1979

New York Collections: The Shape of Things To Come Pt.1
Photo Bill King
Models Christie Brinkley, Peggy Dillard, Lisa Taylor, Shaun Casey, Eva Wallen, Nancy Donahue & Unknown
Hair Pamela Geigor
Makeup Rex

New York Collections: The Shape of Things To Come Pt.2

icmmagazine.com

US Harper's Bazaar February 1979

A.M./P.M. Eyes Iridescence
Photo Rico Puhlmann & Albert Watson
Models Peggy Dillard, Unknown & Tara Shannon
Hair & Makeup Unknown

icmmagazine.com

US Vogue February 1978

New York Collections: This Is American Style Pt.1
Photo Patrick Demarchelier
Models Beverly Johnson, Juli Foster, Shaun Casey, Iman, Sunny Redmond, Peggy Dillard, Donna Palmer & Unknown
Hair Garren
Makeup Ariella

Scans by kelles

US Vogue February 1978

New York Collections: This Is American Style Pt.2

Scans by kelles

US Vogue July 1977

Suddenly... Wonderful Prints To Wear Right Now
Photo Arthur Elgort
Models Lisa Cooper, Peggy Dillard & Unknown
Hair Marc Pipino
Makeup Ariella

justaguy

US Vogue July 1977

Vogue Patterns: The Soft Challis Dirndl
Photo Arthur Elgort
Models Peggy Dillard & Unknown
Hair Marc Pipino
Makeup Ariella

justaguy

she looks especially lovely in that last edit. thanks for the post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->