Runway Or Editorials?

model_mom

Reaction score
:unsure: To someone in the know: Do you think it is more important to get the good editorials before you do runway,or walk the runways to get the editorials?

i think most people do both especially at the beginning of their careers to get noticed

Both are very good.
I guess to book the editorials is best--BUT to book good shows is also a very good thing! :flower:

You will not get into top shows without a book almost full of very strong editorials.

Then the more shows you get...the better your editorials become.

Then better shows...etc. :smile:

The good shows come after a book of good editorials. It is rare to see girls who do runway without alot of edits. Some girls get more campaigns after they've done a packed season of runway, others get more edits/continue doing runway/etc. untill hopefully getting big campaigns.

So yea- editorials first :smile:

Thanks,you hear so many things in the business about how to handle a young model's career. Her agent says that the runway shows are like one big go see,you never know who might be attending. She's had some good editorials, but mostly in foreign magazines (Italian Elle, D and Spanish Marie Claire ,Russian Elle and Spur magazine.) She has done Nylon and Teen Vogue in the US. She loves the money but doesn't want to stay in New York for long periods of time. She just came home after being in NY for 7 weeks. She has no desire to go to Milan or Paris and I think this will hurt her in the long run (maybe when she's older?) We went to Paris when she was 15 ,she was booked for a few shows but it all came to a screeching halt when they found out she was 15. In France it is against the law for anyone under the age of 16 to do runway! ( this amazes me because we all know it goes on but I guess we didn't have the right credentials?) She did a few good shows while in NY and some smaller ones. The pay for new girls is not good sometimes mostly for clothes( that you never see) in the smaller shows. I hope it can still work for her (dividing her time between NY and home) I love seeing her being a kid and riding her horse and being with her friends. so far her agent has been really understanding about this, I think we are very lucky in that respect. Thanks again for your comments. : :P

Model Mom, you never posted a pic of your daughter... :(
Hope she makes it big whether if it's editorials or runway. :flower:

Nemova

Originally posted by Nemova@Feb 22nd, 2004 - 11:29 pm
Model Mom, you never posted a pic of your daughter... :(
Hope she makes it big whether if it's editorials or runway. :flower:

Nemova
Nemova, thanks for your words of encouragement. My daughter Ali's pictures have been posted on a thread of this website. I'm ashame to say I don't know how to scan pictures so I have to rely on all the beautiful ones posted here. That is one of the reasons I started posting on this site. I saw her pictures and also noticed her on Ones2Watch. How neat to see your own child in print, of course I"m proud of her but it's nice to know that someone else has noticed her too. :flower:

Originally posted by model_mom@Feb 22nd, 2004 - 7:49 pm
Thanks,you hear so many things in the business about how to handle a young model's career. Her agent says that the runway shows are like one big go see,you never know who might be attending. She's had some good editorials, but mostly in foreign magazines (Italian Elle, D and Spanish Marie Claire ,Russian Elle and Spur magazine.) She has done Nylon and Teen Vogue in the US. She loves the money but doesn't want to stay in New York for long periods of time. She just came home after being in NY for 7 weeks. She has no desire to go to Milan or Paris and I think this will hurt her in the long run (maybe when she's older?) We went to Paris when she was 15 ,she was booked for a few shows but it all came to a screeching halt when they found out she was 15. In France it is against the law for anyone under the age of 16 to do runway! ( this amazes me because we all know it goes on but I guess we didn't have the right credentials?) She did a few good shows while in NY and some smaller ones. The pay for new girls is not good sometimes mostly for clothes( that you never see) in the smaller shows. I hope it can still work for her (dividing her time between NY and home) I love seeing her being a kid and riding her horse and being with her friends. so far her agent has been really understanding about this, I think we are very lucky in that respect. Thanks again for your comments. : :P
You're daughter has major tears. She should not be having that much of a problem booking shows...unless she is fairly young, like 14/15, or not super tall.... :unsure:

But with tears like that, as long as they are fairly recent, she should have no problem booking shows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Milan and Paris are definately younger markets. They aren't really concerned with age. By younger I mean like 16-ish, its a great place to start and fill your book with tears. But if she doesn't like New york, or really isn't into modeling anymore..there isn't anyway to force it.

You have to be determained. Some girls may have been discovered and never really asked for it in the first place, but they still work at it! :wink:

Originally posted by sashatheelf@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 1:13 am
if your daughter ever needs a buddy to hang out with in ny, look me up!
How nice of you. I got to go to New York for two weeks,but most of the time she stays in the model apartment. It gets pretty lonely if other girls she knows are not there. :flower:

Your daughter has been doing really well! She was in quite a few show this past season (NYC F/W 2004). I saw her in Diane Von Furstenberg personally and she is great! I know that she booked quite a few shows didn't she? I have been following her, as well as other new models for awhile. Also saw her in Kenneth Cole (Spring 2004 Show) Her career seems to be taking off.

The business can be quite hard on a model at times (especially if she is young). Hopefully she can find a balance between her modeling career and still getting to be a teenager. It sounds like you play a big part in her career which is really good!

There are some great pics of her in the thread located on this site. I posted a couple that I found on style.com.

Good luck to both of you!

Originally posted by model_mom@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 4:06 pm
Nemova, thanks for your words of encouragement. My daughter Ali's pictures have been posted on a thread of this website. I'm ashame to say I don't know how to scan pictures so I have to rely on all the beautiful ones posted here. That is one of the reasons I started posting on this site. I saw her pictures and also noticed her on Ones2Watch. How neat to see your own child in print, of course I"m proud of her but it's nice to know that someone else has noticed her too. :flower:
What's her name, so I can look for it in Ones2watch? :flower:

Nemova

Originally posted by Sloan@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 1:22 pm
Your daughter has been doing really well! She was in quite a few show this past season (NYC F/W 2004). I saw her in Diane Von Furstenberg personally and she is great! I know that she booked quite a few shows didn't she? I have been following her, as well as other new models for awhile. Also saw her in Kenneth Cole (Spring 2004 Show) Her career seems to be taking off.

The business can be quite hard on a model at times (especially if she is young). Hopefully she can find a balance between her modeling career and still getting to be a teenager. It sounds like you play a big part in her career which is really good!

There are some great pics of her in the thread located on this site. I posted a couple that I found on style.com.

Amy!!! Are you Sloan??? You know how I figured it out? We set up our TFS accounts on the same day. I know you love her. Your her big sister you goof! :lol:

Originally posted by model_mom+Feb 23rd, 2004 - 1:34 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(model_mom @ Feb 23rd, 2004 - 1:34 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sloan@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 1:22 pm

Amy!!! Are you Sloan??? You know how I figured it out? We set up our TFS accounts on the same day. I know you love her. Your her big sister you goof! :lol: [/b][/quote]
You caught me Mother! Yes, I do commend you for the big part that you play in Ali's career and hope that you continue to do so! I am very proud of Ali and the work that she has done here lately! I was glad that I was able to attend a few of her shows earlier this month. I hope that she continues to get good editorials and shows in the future.

I know that she likes to be at home with her horses and friends. It is hard on her, but I know that she likes modeling too. From now on - Mom - you know that Sloan is your other (non-model) daughter...me!

I wish that we all lived closer to each other so that I could see you and Ali more often!

model_mom, I've seen Ali on ones2watch sometime ago, but I could never imagine she was your daughter!! Congrats to you, she's beautiful! :flower:

Nemova

Originally posted by Nemova@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 4:55 pm
model_mom, I've seen Ali on ones2watch sometime ago, but I could never imagine she was your daughter!! Congrats to you, she's beautiful! :flower:

Nemova
:flower: Thanks, it's all been quite a ride, we come from a small town in Missouri where the big thing on the weekend is for kids to do is ride up and down Broadway(yes there is a Broadway here too, it doesn't compare) or find a beer drinking bonfire party to go to. You can imagine my relief when this oppurtunity came along for her. I hope to keep her grounded,but also give her a chance to achieve some of her goals. Thanks for your comments.

I don't know what Mom, Ali, or the sister Amy are worrying about!

Ali is doing INCREDIBLE! She's young! They are taking their time with her...smart! They don't want to get her out there and get her all overexposed and everyone gets bored with her and she's not even 19 yet! :woot:

"we come from a small town in Missouri where the big thing on the weekend is for kids to do is ride up and down Broadway(yes there is a Broadway here too, it doesn't compare) or find a beer drinking bonfire party to go to."

That isn't just a small town in Missouri, that's every small town. Even my small town! I can completely relate...I'm sure my mom can too! haha ! :flower:

Best of luck to her, she's already doing amazingly well!

Originally posted by AlmostFamous@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 7:00 pm
I don't know what Mom, Ali, or the sister Amy are worrying about!

Ali is doing INCREDIBLE! She's young! They are taking their time with her...smart! They don't want to get her out there and get her all overexposed and everyone gets bored with her and she's not even 19 yet! :woot:

"we come from a small town in Missouri where the big thing on the weekend is for kids to do is ride up and down Broadway(yes there is a Broadway here too, it doesn't compare) or find a beer drinking bonfire party to go to."

That isn't just a small town in Missouri, that's every small town. Even my small town! I can completely relate...I'm sure my mom can too! haha ! :flower:

Best of luck to her, she's already doing amazingly well!
AlmostFamous,we saw your TV show when Ali was just starting out. You gave a great picture of what it's like breaking into the business. Ali even mentioned how she felt the same way you did when it comes to being told "you don't have the Look we need right now." If Ali is ever in New York when you are, she would love to meet you too. The only way to learn about the ups and downs of this business is to ask questions and the members of this forum (for the most part) seem to know what they're talking about. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->