UK Vogue June 2024 : Sophie Turner by Mikael Jansson

that washed-out background+washed-out dress make for a really drab cover. And it's a summer issue no less. If they really had to use that dress for the cover, they should've at least stood Sophie in front of a contrasting wall, this is a waste of her beauty (but the interview seems interesting, I give them that)

We can see that after the change of the Global Creative Director, both UK and US started work again with Jansson and Mert
And that is a great thing! Also, Meisel is finally back in the pages of US Vogue.

second shot of the editorial would’ve been a much better cover.

Its very easy to make Sophie Turner look good and photographing her with a washed out colour against a washed out background isn't it. The cover and editorial lack any form of excitement. Heck even the 'Le Smoking' shot looks dull.

I've just received my subscription copy, it's 232 pages, the cover shot isn't any better 'in person'.

Flicking through it... same as most magazines at the moment, the ads are mainly for accessories, I'm mostly ignoring the content at the front, to get to the main editorial section, but there is an interview with Hamish Bowles about his recovery from his stroke. There's also a special Wedding section.

In the main editorial section, it opens with the cover story, followed by Kendall's US Vogue story, then an interview with the Mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, an interview with artist Flora Yukhnovich, then what must be Spanish Vogue's cover story with Jill Kortleve AND Rosalieke Fuchs. Back page is 'What Would Chaka Khan Do?'

That it's 232 pages with not that many editorials tells you how much written content there is at the front of the issue. There's a bit of reading in it. Sophie's cover story looks like it could come from an edition of Elle, while Kendall's reprint stands out as having a proper summer feel.

I see the newsstand issue might be on sale for £2.

So Boring!! I’ll take Edward’s Vogue any day over this Drab!!!

RENAISSANCE
Photography:
Mikael Jansson
Styling: Camilla Nickerson
Hair: Jimmy Paul
Make-up: Hannah Murray
Model/Celebrity: Sophie Turner

UK Vogue Digital Edition

PURE SHORES
Photography:
Dan Martensen
Styling: Clare Richardson
Hair: Rudi Lewis
Make-up: Petros Petrohilos
Models: Rosalieke Fuchs & Jill Kortleve

UK Vogue Digital Edition

THE NEW SCHOOL
Photography:
Toby Coulson
Styling: Harry Lambert
Hair: Maki Tanaka
Make-up: Marie Bruce
Model: He Cong

UK Vogue Digital Edition

ONE TRUE LOVE
Photography:
Ben Weller
Styling: Eniola Dare
Hair: Alfie Sackett
Make-up: Crystabel Riley
Model: Kayako Higuchi

UK Vogue Digital Edition

Yeah, Harris Reed was my first thought too.

Also her face looks so relaxed, as if drained of energy from a good massage or sauna. Not something that works for me here.

Dan Martensen? I thought he had quit being a photographer, to become a full time bagel maker? Either way him, plus Ben Weller, gives this magazine a very 2008 vibe!

Dan Martensen? I thought he had quit being a photographer, to become a full time bagel maker? Either way him, plus Ben Weller, gives this magazine a very 2008 vibe!
Bagel Maker?! A noted fashion photographer!!! (Nigel Barker 😋🌻).

Judging from the other editorials that were posted, this is nothing compared to last month's issue.

Love the editorials with real models- definitely will buy

Maybe it’s purely psychological, but this new editor seemed to have further diluted the consumer sensibility that runs throughout the pages— from coverstory, to fashion stories, to feature stories. Everything looks very much dumbed down for mass consumption. And here I thought Edward had already dumbed it down to such incredible lows to be accepted by the masses-- this person comes along and proves me wrong… You can tell she has midrange department-store roots and discount weekly flyer roots: The overwhelming aesthetic has that overcast, flat-lighting budget/oultet billboard look instead of a steamy, smouldering, summer heat (that Emmanuelle’s Vogue Paris would have easily conjured for their legendary June/July issues.)

Dan’s story is by far the strongest. Although you can tell that he was told to reign in the elevated summer escape sensuality, and give the shoot a more consumer-end catalogue look. He’s capable of so much more. And the story is so poorly edited to save on pagecount. Jill ’s the most versatile commercial model to have earned her keep, and more. Understatedly beautiful and effortlessly smouldering as always, she looks so easygoing, so radiant. If only she was given a big wind-swept hair, instead of this flat, limp, mousey hair that just reminds you of reality when every single teen at teh local mall/outlet has the same hair. Vogue 2024: One step forward, 19 steps back as always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->