US Harper's Bazaar May 2024 : Anok Yai & Christy Turlington Burns by Ethan James Green

Love both covers! I'm hoping this will be a return to form to Glenda's Bazaar, as both are basically the epitome of that era.

Love both covers and eds though it feels like Anok was given a lighter skin tone. Would have loved to see Christy on her cover with the short hair and red lip like the pic in the ed. They will make some vibrant print copies i bet.

My all time favorite model and (one of) my favorite model from the new generation - what's not to love. :smile:

I like both covers. I agree that the editorials could have been better, but given the state of today's fashion I'll take this!

Carlos Nazario is the guy, the moment. since his arrival he keeps showing consistence and relevance.

Nice to see models of the highest standards, of course. Unfortunate the photography is so forgettable, and the styling is so cheap, especially the Lil’ Kim all-pink look with the hideous red wig— and WTF is going on with the hideous blue face…??? Anok’s shoot is horrendous, with no distinct direction, resembling some ANTM challenge of covering as many expressions as possible for your portfolio in one story. Just juvenile. And Christy may be my GOAT, but she looks deranged in the smiling-joker and ouch-my-aching-back selects LMFAO

Since Carlos came on board— sure, this Bazaar seems to be lifted from severe fashion depression. But it’s becoming mall-level tacky and cheap: He’s such a department-store window display stylist. I’d gladly take women dressed in offensively expensive brands casually, sitting on a folding chair, looking makeup-free icy, over these ANTM rejected shots. Nothing ever deserves the welcoming back of Glenda’s Bazaar nor Tyra’s ANTM— or the combination of both, in this case.

Anok makes every shoot look like a million bucks. Heck, she's photographed on the street wearing an outfit during fashion week and it looks like an editorial. It's all her modelling (I like her style too, BTW9. Now, that's what I call a true supermodel. She's perhaps the strongest model in the industry in the last years, one of the only ones that come close to the original 90s.
Really?
How?

:unsure:

1714073549143.jpeg
harpersbazaar.com

Love both covers and eds though it feels like Anok was given a lighter skin tone. Would have loved to see Christy on her cover with the short hair and red lip like the pic in the ed. They will make some vibrant print copies i bet.

You’ve mentioned this a few times before when it comes to Black models.

Dark skin will react/absorb/reflect to lighting noticeably more so than lighter skin— and studio lighting is so intense that, just the placement of the lighting will produce noticeable different skintone shades when it's the same model, and when the model is very dark, like Anok. And it's clear the different lighting used here with her. And when you factor in postproduction, and here it’s a variety of post that’s utilized; most noticeable with the B&W selects and the close-ups, her skin tone will vary noticeably. There’s nothing nefarious, sinister— like whitewashing, if that’s your implication.

Dark skin will react/absorb/reflect to lighting noticeably more so than lighter skin— and studio lighting is so intense that, just the placement of the lighting will produce noticeable different skintone shades when it's the same model, and when the model is very dark, like Anok. And it's clear the different lighting used here with her. And when you factor in postproduction, and here it’s a variety of post that’s utilized; most noticeable with the B&W selects and the close-ups, her skin tone will vary noticeably. There’s nothing nefarious, sinister— like whitewashing, if that’s your implication.

From experience, I know this is absolutely true.

Nice to see models of the highest standards, of course. Unfortunate the photography is so forgettable, and the styling is so cheap, especially the Lil’ Kim all-pink look with the hideous red wig— and WTF is going on with the hideous blue face…??? Anok’s shoot is horrendous, with no distinct direction, resembling some ANTM challenge of covering as many expressions as possible for your portfolio in one story. Just juvenile. And Christy may be my GOAT, but she looks deranged in the smiling-joker and ouch-my-aching-back selects LMFAO

Since Carlos came on board— sure, this Bazaar seems to be lifted from severe fashion depression. But it’s becoming mall-level tacky and cheap: He’s such a department-store window display stylist. I’d gladly take women dressed in offensively expensive brands casually, sitting on a folding chair, looking makeup-free icy, over these ANTM rejected shots. Nothing ever deserves the welcoming back of Glenda’s Bazaar nor Tyra’s ANTM— or the combination of both, in this case.
Shhhh... can we just accept that there's SOMETHING mediocre to moderately ok sometimes going on with this magazine lmao... it's trying. Samira is doing it. She's entering the toddler stage of her editorship!!

somethimes i ask me why Samira's HB still has fashion editorials?
it's to show the best clothes of the season and how to combine them? Nope.
is it to celebrate fresh talents and trying to show something absolutely desireable? Not really.
is it a nostalgic loveletter to revive the glory fashion days of the past (Vogue Italia in it's heydays)?
i can't see it.

i can't find anything remotely helpful in a fashion editorial like the one above for me personally.
Do i want to storm the next boutique to buy the pinky outfit that poor Anok has to wear? God forbid.
Do i want to save my bonus of the year to get Cindy's supersexy dress? Hmmm. Why?

It's all just so outdated and in the end you can see the simple reason why they stil do fashion editorials - to let the big fashion players transfer some big amounts for the ad pages between, but only if they have chosen one of their (mediocre) garments in the editorial of course. it's so obvious.
it's why this industry (fashion and media) is not evolving anymore, but going backwards from season to season. it's a mystery to me that people still paying for a magazine like this anyway.

Ethan James Green is really solidifying his place in my heart, especially in showing the restraint in the retouching of Christy's beautiful face. Looking at how other photographers are destroying these women with photoshop, I really appreciate his point of view.

Love Christy's cover SO much, Carlos did his thing. The oversized look with the choppy wig- too chic.
The text read on the cover "The Epic Rise of Anok Yai" is late. She's not rising, she's already in the stratosphere.
...but maybe they are using that to entice those unaware?

Anok's is a bit Meiselike, and Christy very Liz Tilberiz.

Just seen the complementary videos. A

Just watched the complementary videos on YouTube. Agreed with this. Anok is gorgeous in the video and the little clips included in it as it shows her true skin reflection. Somehow these photographs make her skin look lighter in a harsh and cheap way if I may be honest.

These two covers bring me so much LIFE! Absolutely living for Carlos Nazario at Harper's Bazaar. Nazario has, without question, breathed some much-needed life back into the magazine. These two covers with Anok and Christy are both absolutely immaculate. I genuinely think I'd have a hard time down at the newsstand walking away with just one... :heart:

These two covers bring me so much LIFE! Absolutely living for Carlos Nazario at Harper's Bazaar. Nazario has, without question, breathed some much-needed life back into the magazine. These two covers with Anok and Christy are both absolutely immaculate. I genuinely think I'd have a hard time down at the newsstand walking away with just one... :heart:
I think that Nazario and James Green brought so much excitement back to US Harper's Bazaar. Love both of these covers but Christy's is my favorite because her smile is gorgeous! I subscribe but I will be hunting down a fresh copy with Christy's cover photo. Subscription copies usually arrive a little beat down.

The last couple of issues ended the non-stop bad covers from her ternure. This change should keep going. Bazaar is the oldest fashion magazine that exist and its legacy needs to be respected. I would love to buy two copies because looks like the gorgeous 90s mags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->