INSPIRATION: FRIDA KAHLO.

frida1nr3.jpg

Harper's Bazaar US November 2001
Photographed by Nathaniel Goldberg
Model: Mariacarla Boscono
Makeup: Sharon Dowsett
Hair: James Brown

[credits: egh.org/mariacarlaboscono.hpg.ig.com.br]

OMG Mullet! These are really brilliant! I don't know what it is about this month ^_^ the summer is inspiring me - as are the examples you posted. I love that Rosemary's Baby inspired edit. Mona looks so much like Mia and the lighting creates such a beautiful mood. Its really stunning. The Penelope Tree edits are gorgeous as well. Irina's look is so suited to that, if she had been alive in the 1960s she would have absolutely been a Beaton favorite.

Belstaff Mens F/W 07
Inspiration: Steve McQueen
Bio: Steve McQueen (March 24, 1930 – November 7, 1980) was an Academy Award-nominated American movie actor, nicknamed "The King of Cool". He was one of the biggest box-office draws of the 1960s and 1970s due to a popular "anti-hero" persona.

The Original:

The Inspired

Men inspire fashion too ^_^ I think Steve McQueen is one of the more mysterious and interesting actors from his era so I like the idea of a collection based around him in general. I think Malenotti was attempting to capture that sort of aloof cool McQueen himself had. There's a lot of emphasis on leather jackets (Malenotti talks about buying Steve's jacket at auction in the video) and the slim tapered pants McQueen always wore. Everything is very streamlined and the suits aren't fussy or ornate - just cool and sort of effortless. I think Steve would approve.

Image Credit | McQueen Online, Corbis, Rueters

Last edited by a moderator:
Dolce & Gabanna S/S 06
Inspiration: Jane Russell in The Outlaw
The Outlaw Director: Howard Hughes
Photographer: Steven Meisel
Models: Caroline Trentini, Gemma Ward, Julia Stegener, Raquel Zimmerman, Snejana Onopka, Jeisa, Emina C, Euguenia V, Marina Perez, Marta Berzkalna, Tatiana Oussova, Doutzen Kroes, Lily Donaldson, et. al

The Original:

The Inspired:

While I think this ad campaign is very beautiful I'm not sure if it works entirely. Some of the model casting was a little questionable in my opinion - I wont name names but a few of the girls lack the sensuality required to pull something like this off. Jane Russell was all about unbridled sexuality, especially in The Outlaw which was banned for being too explicit. That said they overall execution is very good. The pictures have the same overall feeling, there is something very raw about the pictures in general.

Image Credit | Corbis, Movie Mavens, Jozworld

INSPIRATION: PATTI SMITH.
smith1.jpg

ANN DEMEULEMEESTER SPRING/SUMMER 2003 COLLECTION.

100084719.jpg
100084661.jpg
100084675.jpg

100084720.jpg
100084762.jpg
100084770.jpg

[style/bartolomy/myspace groups]

INSPIRATION: PATTI SMITH
smith4qn1.jpg

[bostonist.com/cherrycoloured]

DANCING BAREFOOT
New York Times September 2002
Photographed by Vava Ribeiro
Styled by Mimi Lombando
Model: Jamie Bochert.
source: cbgb.

INSPIRATION: PATTI SMITH
smith3.jpg

UNDERCOVER F/W 2004
00040f.jpg
00050f.jpg
00060f.jpg

00170f.jpg
00430f.jpg
00410f.jpg

[style/globalart]

All I can do is agree with the others....this thread is brilliant & beautiful!! :flower:

Zac Posen Resort 2008
Inspiration:Faye Dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde
Bonnie and Clyde Director:Arthur Penn
Bonnie and Clyde Costume Designer:Theadora Van Runkle

The Original

The Inspired

Style.com & imdb.com

^Amazing Thew! I love Faye Dunaway's wardrobe in Bonnie and Clyde -that little beret and scarf combo has had such a lasting presence in fashion! She was such a prim and well dressed little bankrobber. Her costumes make her seem so innocent and naive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Savoir Blair
Inspiration: Peggy Moffitt
Bio: Peggy Moffitt (born in California in 1939) is best known as the premier model and muse for the late fashion designer Rudi Gernreich. Her unique look has now become iconic of the 60s fashion scene
Photographer: Michael Thompson
Model: Selma Blair

The Original:

The Inspired:

The edit has Selma's name on it but this is all about Peggy - the hair, the makeup, the high contrast black and white, everything just evokes Peggy's image. I think this is a very well done editorial in terms of styling and construction. Selma looks enough like Peggy to pull off the stylized mod look and overall everything flows together in an appealing way.

Image Credit | Style.com, Peggy Moffitt Blog, Selma Blair Fan, Vintage Fashion Guild

I'm in love with this thread :heart: Thanks again Luxx, Mullet and Thew.

*subcribes to thread*

^thanks!.
Luxx, love the peggy moffit editorial!, I can't believe I hadn't seen that, I'm not sure Selma was the best option for the story (I'm admittedly biased!), but she does make a dignified tribute. a very subtle one that keeps the identity of both ladies. thanks for posting it!.

INSPIRATION: FRANÇOISE HARDY, CIRCA 1966.

francoise1qn3.jpg

BALENCIAGA F/W 05/06

(from allovertheworld.fr/ fhardy.de/ style.com)

INSPIRATION: LEE MILLER (1907-1977).
American photographer born in Pughkeepsie, New York State in 1907.
She was a successful fashion model in NYC in the 1920s before going to Paris to become a fashion and fine art photographer. During the second world war, she became an acclaimed war correspondant and photojournalist.

leemiller0we5.jpg

BRUNO PIETERS S/S 06
(Bruno Pieters said to be inspired by Man Ray's portrait of Lee Miller when designing her Spring Summer 2006 collection- Vogue Italia April 2006).

[brunopieters/npg/guardian.co.uk]

Miss Sixty S/S 07
Inspiration: Adam Ant ("New Romantic" era)
Bio: Adam Ant (born Stuart Leslie Goddard) is an English pop star, lead singer of 1980s New Wave/post-punk group Adam & the Ants and later a solo artist. [wiki]

The Original

gothicreview.com, myspace.com, starpulse.com

The Inspired

elle.com

Vogue Italia Beauty
Inspiration: Peggy Moffitt
Bio: Peggy Moffitt (born in California in 1939), is best known as the premier model and muse for the late fashion designer Rudi Gernreich. [wiki]
Magazine: Vogue Italia
Photographer: Michelangelo di Battista
Model: Alana Zimmer

The Original

peggymoffitt.blogspot.com

The Inspired

Photographed by alix*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->