Accessories Design Game

EdanChrysler

Reaction score
I was just thinking about the Project Runway competition we have here on TFS ... and then I thought, what about accessories? Considering that accessories design is quite different from apparel design, I think it would be apt to have a separate competition for designing accessories ... what does everyone say to the idea? I'm proposing a game that functions in a way similar to the Project Runway competition here except that it's focused on accessories ... my suggestion is that with each brief comes a list of limitations on what accessories to design for that theme e.g.:

Theme: <insert theme here>
Accessory Types:
- Shoes
- Jewelry
You get the picture. There're several different accessories that are possible so I think the type limitations would be a good thing ...

What does everyone think? If there's a general agreement to the proposal then I'll begin and post the theme.

Last edited by a moderator:
YESSSSSS!!!!
I've been dying to start one!! Accessories are my best....!!

I'd would be leaning more towards Bags and Shoes...jewlery might be ok for me...

sounds great
edan chrysler - do you start with a theme?
and how long will be the time to participate? (1 or 2 weeks?)

edan chrysler - do you start with a theme?
and how long will be the time to participate? (1 or 2 weeks?)

Yup, I'll start this off ... like the TFS Project Runway, whoever wins the challenge will get to post the next theme. The standard amount of time permitted for the submission of entries is one week - e.g. if I post the theme on a Monday then the entries should be in by the following Monday - but should the judge (i.e. the one who set the theme) be unable to come up with reviews by then, there's usually a postponing of the last day of entry.

Everything clear? If yes, I shall now post the theme ...

Accessories Design Game (anyone has any ideas for a catchy name?) Round #1:

THEME:
:heart:ROMANCE:heart:

BRIEF:
> What is romance? Romance - it is that out-of-this-world feeling that permeates the air when two people are in the deep folds of passionate love; it is that spine-tingling beauty of an object, a place, or clothing that exudes the glory of a luxury-laden and glamorous era from an exotic period in history, be it Victorian or Edwardian ... what is your romance?

ACCESSORY TYPE:
SHOES

REMARKS:
> The brief above is just to provide a little inspiration for all ... interpret the keyword (i.e. the theme) based on your own likes.
> I'm limiting this brief to just one accessory type because it would be unfair to judge different accessories together since each has their own criteria for judging.

SUBMISSION TIME:
> By next Tuesday, which is 3rd October 2006

COOOOOOOOLLLLLLL! i've been waiting for something like this....i love acessories! :smile:

ok, when i think of romance, i think of romeo&juliet, the most romantic story ever!
This is the result, when i try to put the vibe of romeo&juliet in a shoe design :smile:
sorry for the blurry pic, it´s taken with my mobile.

the material of the laces is supposed to be satin and on top there are little red satin roses. the heel is dark brown. overall the colours represent these of a rose. :flower: most romantic flower ever

made for a very sophisticated and brave but also romantic (OF COURSE) girl, maybe these shoes should be worn with a sparkly, knee-lenght nude dress, or a white pantsuit by armani...

Attachments

• 26-09-06_1930.jpg
    26-09-06_1930.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 8
Here it is...for me RED is the color of Romance and Black is the color of seduction....so a Red Satin D' orsay Pump with Black trims and a Crystal Brooch for glamour would romance anyone into getting these shoes...

Khoi Le Red and Black Satin D' orsay Pump...

Entries! Keep them rolling! As a note, it's the first of October - a Sunday - and the deadline's two days away (the 3rd of October - Tuesday). ^_^

here is my entry. initially i was inspired by the extreme decodance of women like marie antoinette, with the ruffles and lace and ways of turning the female form into almost an adornment object of desire. I then started thinking about historical ways of eroticizing woman through different cultures and thought about the foot binding of asian women and how it was done partially for the erotic notion. so i sorta combined marie antoinette with asian influence and this is what i came up with.

The upper part of the shoe is deep "laquer" red silk velvet and burnished leather. It has inner ankle lacing, to make the ankle an object of desire, which i haven't seen emphasized very much in the shoe market. along the top is antique lacing and there are a series of cutouts running down the front of the shoe to provide a bit of enticing fetishisms. I was also thinking about betty page and olivias artwork with pin-up girls. The bottom of the shoe is a gold gild wedge to provide both elegance and a bit of danger, with the fact it is of a precious metal, but metal none-the-less. It is piped with a handcarved sole which is covered in black enamel laquer to show asian artisa influence. I tried to evoke the shape of the "lotus foot" which used to be achieve by foot binding, but in a realistic, non-painful way. The shape of the wedge gives a feminine curve to emulate the female form as well as provide the height and appeal of a heel to the wearer. in the front bottom, the cutout area provides the fabled foot cleavage. so i tried to cover all bases. hope you enjoy :smile:

Attachments

• shoe.jpg
    shoe.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 26
Here is my entry. The shoe is based on a classic court shoe, but with a stiletto heel, and the instep of the shoe is dipped (hard to describe:lol: ). I used pink satin with a red satin lining, with a pink bow on the toe and lace trim at the back.

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 7
I didn't really get it but I just wanted to say that the drawingof Jun3machina... above is WONDERFUL!!!

Thank you for all the entries! Here are the reviews for the entries:

evae: The idea's great - and roses never fail to suggest romance (they are my favourite flowers). I'm thinking "fantasy" when it comes to the shoes you designed ... the green and red ribbon bands that hold the foot has this fairy-tale feeling to it ... definitely very romantic! :heart:

Just one thing - the shoe might be a little flimsy, considering that the foot is only held by four satin bands, which are gathered into a small rose in the front of the foot ... it would be beautiful, of course - though a little fragile. Definitely the perfect shoes for a dainty evening party - not too wild :wink:

Khoipond89: Red - the perfect colour of romance. Your design is very sleek - I love how you make a very simple red stiletto exciting with a gorgeous bow with jewels. The V-cut is a great touch - it shows a little flesh - and fulfils the thought of "seduction" very very well. :flower:

jun3machina: :woot: Amazing design! The fact that you managed to create a shoe design that is both romantic and naughty at the same time is impressive! The design appears quite romantic in the sense of a fairy-tale. Amazing detail work, and lace never fails to convey Victorian romance.

A few thoughts - firstly, I applaud you for attempting to break through the taboos that surround foot-binding. Admittedly I was a little unsure about the idea of taking inspiration from Chinese foot-binding because I've read a lot of horror stories about the cruel methods used to obtain the desired "lotus" foot shape - but your idea about recreating the effect using the shoe itself instead of conforming the foot to the desired shape is a relief and safe to say, it's quite avant-garde, and not necessarily in a negative way - good work!

truebluejen: The colours you chose are definitely very romantic! I feel that it's a very innocent romance - a sort that's filled purely with innocent thoughts and wishes.

Just one thing - the lace trim is a great idea, but if the back of the shoe is dipped low, it might be a little uncomfortable for the wearer ... although of course, wearers don't mind any discomfort - as long as it looks great, anything goes ^_^

And now, for the result ...

*drumrolls*

:buzz:jun3machina!!!:buzz:

I was completely blown away by the flair and the wicked humour in your design. I'm that sort of person who loves details and it was great to see that you expanded on yours.

Overall, a great job! Congratulations, jun3machina! You're next for Gamemaster!

wow! thanks!!!!! :blush: honestly, shoes really are not my thing....im really a bag girl! that being said, and the powers that are now bestowed upon me to challenge your minds with some sort of theme :brows: ....let me see.....

"Accessories-R'-US" (hahaha, thought i'd make up some goofy name)
Round #2:

THEME: ~FILM NOIR~

BRIEF:
> Film Noir.....french cinema, those eyes, those deep black lined lips, VAMP! SEDUCTRESS! MURDERESS! And what do they carry their lil' secrets in? The challenge is to design a handbag for the Film Noir vixen. Think about the negative space created in still shots from old hollywood films. Be inspired by shadows and sex appeal. Think about that "IT" bag that would be sitting on the bar top in Casablanca, slightly hazed by the cigarette smoke, reflecting the lights of the stage show. Create something seducing, something vintage, something that would steal the show from Ingrid Bergman!<

ACCESSORY TYPE:
:heart: HANDBAG:heart:

REMARKS:
> The brief above is just to provide a little inspiration for all ... interpret the keyword (i.e. the theme) based on your own likes.
> I'm limiting this brief to just one accessory type because it would be unfair to judge different accessories together since each has their own criteria for judging.

SUBMISSION TIME:
> By next Wednesday, which is 11th October 2006 12midnight

Great theme. I've never designed a handbag before, but I might give it a go

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"