Pictures

00001.L.JPG
00028.L.JPG
00035.L.JPG
00042.L.JPG
00062.L.JPG
00091.L.JPG
00132.L.JPG

this is one of my all time favorite collections, (not just mcqueen). it was two way mirrors, the audience was outside of the glass box. i believe it was trying to explore beauty within. a bit like a prison/asylum, and the woman in the box is an homage to a picture by joel peter witken. I remember seeing a photo of his, and it is the exact same thing of that woman in the box.

that last pic reminds me of the nin "closer" video... i liked that collection, actually the clothes not just the show

Yay this is one of my all time fav collections too. It was simply amazing!

I was in the national photography museum where there was a fashion exibition and it showed a huge video of the show, it felt like you were there ^_^ also there was viktor and ralf :smile:but the McQueen show was truely amazing

i heard that this show had something to do with voyeurism (sp?) because at the start of the show (which ran like an hour late or something) the audience were seated arround the box in harsh lighting, they couldnt see inside the box and they were obliged to sit and watch there own reflections and the people arround them, after a while this self scrutiny produced and intense and paranoid self conciousness. apparantly the scenario was a cruel but meaningfull one because the audience were fashion professionals or as the journalist Sarah Mower described it " A gathering of the prime arbiters of vanity" here McQueen reduced the observers to objects turning there own sharp scrutiny of the models back on themselves, highlighting how much the model aswell as the clothes are objectified in the gaze of the journalists.

When the show started McQueen turned the audience into voyeurs, the lighting turned down on them and went on inside the box which was made of reflective surveillance glass. the models inside the box couldnt see the audience but they could see themselves so bacically the audience were watching the models watch themselves. for 10 minuits the models preened and strutted while admireing there own reflections staging a solitarty performance before the mirror, something that someone would only see in the privacy of a bedroom, it was like some kind of sex show but of fashion voyeurs.

But yeah behind all the spectical the show was amaizing the red dress that Erin wore that was made from individually painted and drilled microscope slides that when the model moves they make a "tinckleing" sound the top part was supposed to represent the blood under the skin - pure genous!! :heart: :heart: :D :flower:

oh yeah the info was taked from one of my historical and contextual studdies for college :lol:

00127.L.JPG
just a photo of the red dress i loved
i couldnt find anything about the theme of the clothes in the show but when i look at them a lot of them have a japanese feel to them, what do you think?

yeah i could see the japanese influence a bit, also does anyone know the music played during this show?:flower:

The collection's styling, especially the woman in the box, was very, very, very heavily influenced by the photography of Joel-Peter Witkin, a very controversial American photographer known for using real human parts in his compositions:

Looked up style.com and found this:

LONDON, September 26, 2000 – Alexander McQueen's show was nothing short of monumental. The audience sat around a mirrored cube, which, when lit from inside, revealed itself to be a mental-hospital holding cell. Demented girls, wearing hospital headbands and everything from extraordinary mussel-shell skirts to impossibly chic pearl-colored cocktail dresses, slithered and strutted while uselessly attempting to fly over the cuckoo's nest.

McQueen was at his very best: There were gothic, theatrical pieces, like a dress with a miniature castle and rat posing as a shoulder pad; a top made out of a jigsaw puzzle; and a huge feathered creation with stuffed eagles suspended over the model's head, poised to attack à la Hitchcock. But amidst all the insanity, there was a cornucopia of startlingly elegant—and wearable—pantsuits, flouncy party dresses, and even a spectator pump or two. How to top off such a climactic presentation? After everyone thought it was all over, another cube within the psychiatric ward-cum-runway opened up to reveal a portly nude woman, her face covered by a mask, breathing through a tube, surrounded by fluttering moths. It was a truly shocking and enthralling tableau: Francis Bacon via Leigh Bowery and Lucien Freud. In a word, sublime.

– By Armand Limnander

This show is one of my earlier fashion show memories. I LOVE that red glass/feather dress on Erin, it's absolutely amazing. There were quite a few great suit looks.

Then there's this coat, which is absolutely beautiful (sans headgear)
00009.L.JPG

firstview.com

Unfortunately, for me, I think the theatrics absolutely overshadowed the clothes themselves because some of the most memorable pieces were true show pieces. Erin's razor shell dress was breathtaking, but clearly not meant to be worn. Still, theatric or not the show was incredible.

Some pictures from Radical Fashion at the V&A museum

a close up
mcqueen1.jpg

00085.L.JPG

the Shaun Leane neckpiece worn by Karen Elson
mcqueen2.jpg
00098.L.JPG

vam.ac.uk, firstview.com

^ for some reason, that outfit really scares me, looks very creepy...and Erins dress was glass/feather? wow, amazing...I wish i could see this show again...

the muscles dress

00062.L.JPG

elsons dress !

00098.L.JPG

another of erin

00128.L.JPG

(i can see the glass now)

00135.L.JPG

parfitts dress...

firstview.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics