All about PR = Public Relations

I understand that PR is a full-time job, but do most publicists work like 9-5 type hours with weekends off? I mean do you have a set schedule each week & days off each week? I know that may sound ridiculous, but I genuinely want to know. I realize, in fashion, during fashion week things may be hectic with overtime involved but surely it's not 24/7!

Good luck, Squizree! I wish I did have some tips, but I don't ... but I'm sure you will do fine.

missbliss, I think that most PR is not 9 to 5. Maybe in the beginning if you are just a receptionist or a data input clerk. But PR is tons of office work ... then there are many after hours functions and a lot of the staff is expected to be there. Not just in fashion and not just during fashion week, either ... it's any PR. There are promotional activities going on all year. Your client's name needs to be everywhere ... at least everywhere they think their prospective customers are. So there are charitable events, dinners, awards shows, conventions, radio & TV spots, store openings, parites, marathons, competitions, and so much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
The interview went well! The guy took me to a cafe and we had a cool chat about what they do.
He saw my fashion artwork and was kinda impressed.

BUT he confused me at the end because he gave me his card and he was like "Email me with your thoughts"
What does that mean? Do I have it or not? What should I say in the email?? :unsure:

That does sound confusing .... but it's PR ... so maybe, just maybe ... he want's you to do a email to impress him like a press release.

So, my suggestion is to send him something that thanks him for his time and the information he shared with you. (YOu should always do this after an interview, anyway.) Then confirm that you are very interested in being an intern and hope that they will take you on as a member of the team. And then try to remember any points he made about what they want from interns or from employees. Then recap some of your stong points that may fit right into those expectations.

For example, if he said it was a fast paced job, point out that you like to work under pressure (hopefully, you do). If he said that interns sometimes don't get a lot of direction, say that you self motivated and are not afraid to ask for more work once something has been completed. If he said the it's a lot of team work, then say that you work best as part of a team and are energized by that. If he said that intern work is boring, then say that you expect to work hard at mundane tasks but will gain a lot from just being in the environment of a PR office. In other words ... try to remember his "hot buttons" and play to that.

Publicists must be able to write well, get someone's interest quickly and leave a positive feeling ... so try to do that with your words. And make sure you spell check it before you send it off ... and have someone who you know is good with that sort of thing, check it for you too, to make sure it's postive and easy to understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Wow, heaps of help Bette. This is what Ive written so far:

Dear XXXXX,

Firstly I'd like to greatly thank you for taking the time to talk to me earlier today about Coco PR and the possible opportunities I could partake in.

I would also like to say that I tremendously admire and respect Coco PR's professionalism and passionate purpose towards the fashion industry.

I am extremely passionate about writing as well as fashion, and have great ambitions for myself in the fashion industry and its future, particularly in New Zealand.

I personally think that Coco PR would be a terrifically inspiring place for me to begin these ambitions and I would love to be part of Coco's dedicated and stylish team, in helping shape New Zealand's fashion industry into something bigger, better and global.

Therefore, I would immensely appreciate it if you could accept me as an intern aboard Coco PR.

Thank you, once again and Best Regards,

Joseph George

Good start .... I'll PM you. I have a few questions and then, if you want, I'll offer a critique.

I GOT THE F**KING INTERNSHIP!!! Yesssssssss!!

svSOCCER_narrowweb__300x333,0.jpg

theage.com.au

I'm glad I could help ... that's what tFS is all about!

hey everyone,

i just watched Kell on Earth and for anyone who has seen it how accurate is the show to the industry? It just seems so stressful ALL the time and unorganized. But for some reason I feel like I could be right for this.

I got the sense that its fast paced, high stress, business and creative oriented.

So a couple of questions:
What skills are essential to be successful?
Education wise, what programs should I consider (Canadian schools if you know any)?
How should I go about kick starting my career?

I havent seen this show, but I work in pr, so i know something :smile:
Though I do not work in a pr company, I work as a pr person directly to one brand in entertainment industry.
For me, the biggest problem is that its impossible to control everything, often there are many things that just doesnt depend on you - though you are in charge of them. For example: you cannt control everything some journalist is going to write about you, or you cannt do anything if someone you are presenting wants everybody to think he's perfect but when he's in public he talks and acts like stupid...
Talking bout skills - you have to be energetic, very driven, not lazy, able to multitask and most of all - you have to go well with other people. This is the most important thing as your work depends on your contacts. You have to be always friendly and the "blah-blah" with everyone type. :smile: Some people working in pr say that the fake friendliness pisses them off, but as for me - I like people, so I cant say that im so very fake.
And of course you need to know the right people, but this circle is built within a time period, so you could start firstly as an assitant and then, day by day, you would meet new people :smile:
Education wise - my bac is in law, but im working in pr. Though it helped me that I have worked for several years as a journalist when I was younger. Of course, studying pr is good, but I think that it would be even better to come from the journalistic background - one reasons is that pr includes a lot of writing and the other reason is that this there you would make your contacts! I havent studied pr, but everytinhing I know came to me naturally (as I have allways been more or less interested in this, even before understanding what it is), or from practise or from self educating - I was studying this a bit on my own.
Good luck! :smile:

I want work in the PR industry in the future, most preferably fashion (but I wouldn't mind working in other fields as well). But I've been thinking, is it a wiser choice to apply to PR instead of Fashion PR? (Both of these at LCC and LCF.) I would think that if you've had studied regular PR it it'll be easier to get a job in the future?

Fashion PR is more to my interest, and I think I would do a good job, but I'm just trying to think smart.

I think that the broader course may be better ... it allows you more flexibility to work in various areas of business, in case you can't get into fashion right in the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thehousedownboots
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->