Audrey Tautou to play Coco Chanel in new movie

astatine

Reaction score
From variety.com:

Audrey Tautou will star as Coco Chanel in a $15 million biopic about the legendary French fashion designer.

Anne Fontaine will helm the yet to be titled pic, with French shingles Haut et Court and Cine @ producing. Films Distribution is handling international sales.

The film, which will focus on Chanel's childhood and early womanhood, was specially conceived with Tautou in mind, said Haut et Court's Caroline Benjo.
"Anne said she would only make a film about Chanel if Audrey was in the lead. They met and both liked the idea."

Script, penned by Fontaine and Christopher Hampton, who is also creative consultant, was freely adapted from the Chanel biography "L'Irreguliere" by Edmonde Charles-Roux.

Pic is slated to shoot early in 2008.

A French thesp will play Etienne Balsan and an A-list Brit actor is being sought to play Englishman Arthur "Boy" Capel, two men in Chanel's life when she was still a young unknown.

Said Benjo: "It isn't really a biopic because it is about Chanel before she became famous, it is about the events and people that shaped her."

The woman who invented French chic was born into poverty as Gabrielle Chanel, the illegitimate daughter of a traveling salesman, in 1883. After the death of her mother and abandonment by her father she spent seven years in a Catholic orphanage, where she learned to sew. But fashion wasn't her first career choice. As a young woman, Chanel had ambitions to be a singer and it was while warbling "Who's Seen Coco in the Trocadero" in a cabaret that she acquired the nickname Coco.

While working as a cabaret singer, she also took to sewing the stage clothes for the likes of French cabaret star Mistinguette before being taken under the wing wealthy Balsan. His chateau became Chanel's home and her gateway to a new life.

Balsan introduced her to Capel, who played a crucial role in Chanel's rise to fashion fame and fortune.

There are two other French Chanel project the works.

William Friedkin will helm one focused on the fashion diva's relationship with Stravinsky, with "Lady Chatterley" thesp Marina Hands playing Chanel. Daniele Thompson is also writing a Chanel project.
I can't wait...I love Audrey Tautou :heart:

There were rumors that Demi Moore was getting this role, but I think Audrey is a better choice. This sounds very promising. :heart:

Did Coco Chanel look like an elf? I've only seen pictures of her as an older woman and I'm not sure what she looked like young. Audrey Tatou is very small and cute but elf-like :smile: I would watch this movie Seems like it could be a good choice

I think Demi Moore would have been better. Because much as the legend deserves her status, I always saw Coco as this bitchy old woman. Maybe Demi could have pulled that off.

But then I haven't seen a lot Audrey's work, too.

Did Coco Chanel look like an elf? I've only seen pictures of her as an older woman and I'm not sure what she looked like young. Audrey Tatou is very small and cute but elf-like :smile: I would watch this movie Seems like it could be a good choice
I think Audrey is a good choice as well, especially since the film covers Coco Chanel's younger years. Here is a picture of her when she was 26 years old :flower:
source: http://www.linternaute.com/femmes/luxe/0605-chanel/diapo-histoire/1.shtml

Attachments

• coco-jeune.jpg
    coco-jeune.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 396
Audrey will be perfect in this role! :woot: I think she has the calibre to make any role work.

that side profile on post #5 reminds me of carla bruni. it'd be interesting how this works out and it's great they chose a french actress to portray her instead of picking someone from hollywood.

I hope it isn't the case that it seems incidental the character is in fact supposed to be Coco.

This is so exciting! I love Audrey, and I think she will be fantastic in this role!

Audrey is too sweet and cute... for some reason I always imagine Coco Chanel as the Anna Wintour type.

this will be amazing!
:heart:
i can't wait to hear more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->