Bacall Balks After Kidman Called 'legend'

Erin

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion
Reaction score
<<LONDON (AP) - How old is a movie legend? Definitely older than 37-year-old Nicole Kidman, according to screen veteran Lauren Bacall.

Bacall became irritated during an interview with Britain's GMTV Wednesday when the younger actress was described as ``a legend.''

``She's not a legend,'' Bacall said, cutting off interviewer Jenni Falconer in mid-sentence.

``She's a beginner. What is this 'legend'? She can't be a legend at whatever age she is. She can't be a legend, you have to be older.''

The two actresses were in Venice, Italy to promote their new film ``Birth,'' in which 79-year-old Bacall plays Kidman's mother.

At a joint interview, reporters peppered Kidman with questions and, embarrassed, she finally suggested they direct their questions elsewhere.

Bacall, the former wife of Humphrey Bogart and star of such films as ``The Big Sleep'' and ``Key Largo,'' insisted she and Kidman get along famously.

The two women acted together once before, with Bacall playing a supporting role in Kidman's star vehicle ``Dogville'' last year.

``I love working with a young actress,'' Bacall said. ``Nicole and I worked together on Dogville and we were friends when we started this. That laid the groundwork for our fabulous relationship on screen and off.''

In the film, Kidman plays a woman who believes her dead husband has been reincarnated in the body of a 10-year-old boy.

The assembled stars and the film's director and producer, were asked who they would like to come back as if they could be reincarnated.

The others gamely tried to answer the question but Bacall snapped: ``It's not a fascinating question. No offense.''>>

Originally posted by sugarpea@Sep 8 2004, 09:22 PM
good for lauren bacall!
[snapback]360092[/snapback]​

good for her?? she sounds like a snotty b*tch who's incredibly full of herself.

good for nicole kidman for not reducing herself to a badmouthing, rude person.

i don't think she sounds bitchy...just like someone with high standards...frankly i think we settle for far too little these days....when did mediocrity become the standard...don't we aspire to more?...

Originally posted by hotpinky@Sep 8 2004, 09:26 PM
good for her?? she sounds like a snotty b*tch who's incredibly full of herself.

good for nicole kidman for not reducing herself to a badmouthing, rude person.
[snapback]360100[/snapback]​

Bacall deserves to be full of herself...

I don't think it was bitchy or snobby at all. It's ridiculous to call a person who has really only done noteworthy projects within the past 8 years a legend just because she's not a Tara Reid or Shannon Elizabeth type actress.

nicole kidman certainly has an impressive body of work...however i definitely would have to agree with bacall that does not make her a legend...and she has every reason to call them on their error...
they should be careful with the kind of "titles" they bestow upon people...it lowers the standard...

Originally posted by pinkfairy@Sep 8 2004, 09:25 PM
I kind of sense a little jealousy there....
[snapback]360172[/snapback]​
Um, she's Lauren Bacall? :rolleyes: Nicole Kidman should be jealous of her, if anyone.

While I personally wouldn't have put in the way she did, she's honestly right. Ditto to what softgrey said, our standards are really pretty pathetic in terms of current stars. I can barely think of any actors or actresses of today who would even half fit into the title. Maybe Judi Dench, or Peter O'Toole, and they're both fairly old. If Nicole Kidman was truly the great star she'd like to be, she'd accept that more experienced judgement and continue working, harder. After all, Katherine Hepburn made like how many films and earned so many Oscars... Nicole Kidman's barely scratched that surface. I can't see how she's possibly struggled or worked long enough to have a career of even close to that calibre.
Actually, Lauren Bacall is only pretty well known today for her relationship with Humphrey Bogart. The fact that they formed one of the major classic Hollywood relationships is what helped to make her name known and recognized. I'm not even sure whether she would have even been quite so famous without that chemistry.
Now that I'm thinking along those lines... I would have to say that maybe only a star who existed purely in their own light should be fully worthy of that title. I mean, Lauren Bacall has attitude and (still) beauty and personality. How much of it is simply raw, pure talent though? Maybe Katherine Hepburn, or Joan Crawford. Strong, talented women who did without Bogey beside them.

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Sep 9 2004, 11:43 AM
Um, she's Lauren Bacall? :rolleyes: Nicole Kidman should be jealous of her, if anyone.

While I personally wouldn't have put in the way she did, she's honestly right. Ditto to what softgrey said, our standards are really pretty pathetic in terms of current stars. I can barely think of any actors or actresses of today who would even half fit into the title. Maybe Judi Dench, or Peter O'Toole, and they're both fairly old. If Nicole Kidman was truly the great star she'd like to be, she'd accept that more experienced judgement and continue working, harder. After all, Katherine Hepburn made like how many films and earned so many Oscars... Nicole Kidman's barely scratched that surface. I can't see how she's possibly struggled or worked long enough to have a career of even close to that calibre.
Actually, Lauren Bacall is only pretty well known today for her relationship with Humphrey Bogart. The fact that they formed one of the major classic Hollywood relationships is what helped to make her name known and recognized. I'm not even sure whether she would have even been quite so famous without that chemistry.
Now that I'm thinking along those lines... I would have to say that maybe only a star who existed purely in their own light should be fully worthy of that title. I mean, Lauren Bacall has attitude and (still) beauty and personality. How much of it is simply raw, pure talent though? Maybe Katherine Hepburn, or Joan Crawford. Strong, talented women who did without Bogey beside them.
[snapback]360276[/snapback]​

:heart: :clap:

well actually think about it...........who's won the OSCAR :wink:
not lauren!!

just because she's 80 years old next year and nicole is only in her 30's doesnt mean sh*t. nicole has been in movies for 20 years now.

NO KIDDING

Nicole Kidman was booed at the premiere of her new film yesterday, when it was screened as part of the Venice Film Festival. Birth, in which Kidman plays a woman who believes her dead husband has been reincarnated in the body of a 10-year-old boy, is attracting a rash of controversy because of a bath scene in which Nicole and her young co-star both appear naked, and journalists at the Venice preview certainly made their feelings known, jeering and booing when Nicole arrived.

Glamour.com

i dont think lauren bacall sounds snooty. just speaks the truth. nicole kidman isn't a legend. she's just a popular actress.

maybe in 50 years we can call her a legend.

Originally posted by oceanharlot@Sep 10 2004, 03:54 AM
i dont think lauren bacall sounds snooty. just speaks the truth. nicole kidman isn't a legend. she's just a popular actress.

maybe in 50 years we can call her a legend.
[snapback]361108[/snapback]​
agreed.

Lauren's right, Nicole's no legend. Winning an Oscar doesn't make you one ( look at Hillary Swank - what has she been doing in the last years?).
And Nicole still needs a really big movie IMO. Yeah, she had Moulin Rouge, but all non of her other work wasn't really that big. :innocent:

I think Bacall has earned the right to make that comment. It's not an insult, but a fact. I agree with her. off the top of my head very few "potential" legends have been made in the last 15 yrs- Sally Fields? Meryl Streep? Cher? - Hmm, they are the closest I can think of and they probably won't make it unless they nail some stellar film role, which seems unlikely with h'woods youth obsesssion...

The question is, will anyone have heard of Nicole Kidman by the time she's as old as Lauren Bacall?

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Sep 10 2004, 11:37 AM
The question is, will anyone have heard of Nicole Kidman by the time she's as old as Lauren Bacall?
[snapback]362181[/snapback]​

yeah, i think we will definitely know about nicole kidman but she still has not been a part of a really classic film...but she's still in her prime, i feel that its only a matter of time when she makes a film that we remember years from noe

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yohjiyamamotor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->