Balenciaga F/W 2008.09 Paris

This collection was so iconic. Its crazy to look back at these shows are remember how much impact and influence a collection had…you just knew when something like this hit, it meant something. It was in every editorial, it was on everyone’s lips, it just was so major. A total “moment.” There were so many collections like that throughout the late 90’s and 00’s.

It’s especially interesting to remember how important these shows were when you think about today, where not a single show can be remembered. The minute you get to the last slide of a collection on the Vogue app, it’s forgotten and over…never to be thought of or looked at again. Ever. How pitiful and sad.

This collection was so iconic. Its crazy to look back at these shows are remember how much impact and influence a collection had…you just knew when something like this hit, it meant something. It was in every editorial, it was on everyone’s lips, it just was so major. A total “moment.” There were so many collections like that throughout the late 90’s and 00’s.

It’s especially interesting to remember how important these shows were when you think about today, where not a single show can be remembered. The minute you get to the last slide of a collection on the Vogue app, it’s forgotten and over…never to be thought of or looked at again. Ever. How pitiful and sad.

Fall 2008 was such an amazing season that brought some of the most iconic collections of the decade. Prada, Balenciaga, Alexander McQueen, Lanvin, and YSL still dazzle to this day. It really was a different era. Fashion changes, but the difference between then and now could only be summed up as radical.

I don't think I've been back in this thread in like 13 (!) years but some bits are hilarious "the boots look like used condoms!" "ugh the offensive accusations about Nicolas stealing other people's work.. he only stole once!".. :lol:.. miss reading all kinds of things back in the day.

Still not into this collection, and it did turn out to be what I said then, a nightmare you couldn't escape, just so aggressively and grossly advertised, but... it's been a while since I've seen something inspiring in terms of how confident the designer feels to explore and in the outcome, silhouettes or just once piece being left as it is and believing in its place in the collection, and then knowing the collection merits a client sophisticated enough to not need to rely on extra 'candy' to maintain her/his attention or making it cool.

So much for the 'hEs jUsT rEfErEnCIng hIMsElF!!', cause it really takes one look into his past work, and what he's doing now, to realise his work was always far more susceptible to markets and others' collections, than his archives and own path as if he was some secluded artist purely driven by personal inspiration and not working on 50-plus looks bi-annual assignments. But I commend him for single-handedly capturing fashion's cloud nine and fashion's rock bottom, without any aid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abbgg
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->