BEST fashion school? -Closed! See Post #1 for Instructions and Related threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
homeboy said:
I want to become a professional stylist, i.e organise fashion shows, create ad campaigns and work for magazines. My question is, which school suits med best?

Really thankful for answers.

you'll probably need to do a fashion promotion course here LCF's i hear is very good. the one here at csm sounds pretty good too:flower:

lilsweetie said:
I'd like to know more about this school too! I havent heard anyones reviews of it or the positives and negatives. If anyone goes there or knows people who have any information would be great!

I'm from NYC and I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS SCHOOL. I suggest sticking to the established schools like F.I.T., Parsons, or Pratt, I wouldn't venture off anywhere else.

I'm only saying this because you'll need the connections these schools have for internships, jobs, etc..

uberQuirkiness said:
parsons is not very difficult to get into at all. the admissions rate is about 25% for the fashion program, though collegeboard.com says it's about 49%. it's easy to get in...but the dropout rate is high also.
hope i helped. :D

Yes, the dropout rate at Parsons is about 50%...they give ALOT of work and you have to keep up.

There was a survey of all the major design and technical schools in US based on course workload and expectations from the students and Parsons came in 2nd place after MIT.

That should put it in perspective.

interesting educo, is there a link to that? id like to read more about it.
i go to parsons, and theres definitely been quite a few dropouts

^^^ I'll have to look for it because I heard of this a while ago

i am soo confused right now. i'm currently a junior in high school
and i've been trying to look at fashion colleges but i have NO IDEA where to go.

i did start looking at ones like FIDM and FIT, but other than that i'm clueless. plus i dont even know which one is better over the other.

what sucks most is that i've been trying to research as much as possible but coming up with little. there is only one person in my whole school that knows anything about fashion and she recommends UC, but i really dont want to go there cuz i heard alot of ppl say its really tough and hard to get into, plus most would not want to go back.

so can anyone help me out?

Hi :smile:

i live in sweden and i'm moving to new york in 2009 to study fashion. and my question is: what is the best fashion school in new york?

^^ Depends on what you're looking for. If you want to focus on the technical stuff, then FIT, if you want to focus more on design then Parsons

The prices vary GREATLY between the schools

I go to FIT and have plenty of friends that study at Parsons .. a lot of them complain that they dont like that fact that they learn technical skills until there second year ...
FIT .. I'll be honest to say that there are lost souls in Fashion design that lack talent, but at the same time it can be very competitive and produces amazing work .. If you want to learn technique and bring your designs to life FIT is the way to go... PARSONS is very illustrious and I say is more fine art based ..
and yes!!^
"The prices vary GREATLY between the schools"

I say stay away from FIDM .. My friend made the bad decision of going there .. she hates it ... she says that the school has amazing facilities .. but over all there is a huge lack of talent so its not very competitive and that the city is not cultural

Central St Martins is amazing and a very artistically advanced school ...I mean you have masters like Hussein Chalayan who graduated from there!
My friends that attend Central say that they are put threw a tremendous amount of pressure because its cut throat competitive your are not promised a place in what you want specialize in ... after foundation you put together a portfolio and apply to the program you want.. but based on how the tudors feel about your work .. they pretty much place you where they feel you would do best in ...

also be prepared for all nighters and loads of work .. Fashion Design is a lot of work.. this past week I only got 7 hours of sleep .. so make sure you love it darlin!

I hope this helps :smile:

I_bend_for_denim said:
A difference of $10,000, at least.

Now, that has creeped up to a difference of 25,000-30,000, this includes housing. Last year, part time teacher protested and got a pay raise and who gets to pay???? Us broke *** students!!!

I am 19 and I am studying economics. However I have always had a dream of becoming a fashion designer. I will be finishing in three years, will it be too late to start a fashion degree?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just started at Berkeley college in New York this month and there are so many Swedens girls in the fashion program there.

e-v-elina said:
Hi :smile:

i live in sweden and i'm moving to new york in 2009 to study fashion. and my question is: what is the best fashion school in new york?

OK kiddies...I go to Parsons and I have lots and lots of friends at LIM, FIT, Pratt, and CSM...People keep bringing other schools in other states (of the US) and honestly DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY GOING TO A SCHOOL THAT IS NOT IN A FASHION CAPITAL...here is why, when you graduate your resume and conections are the only thing that you have to get your foot in the door of this EXTREMELY competitive industry and there are thousands of ppl vying for the same job you are...EXPIERENCE and CONTACTS are what give you an edge...I started doing internships in high school and I still had to claw my way into every internship I've ever gotten...My freshman year I did a spring internship for Jill Stuart...this summer I'm doing an internship with Conde Nast...do you think I'd have these opportunities if I was in any other city? If you are going to a fashion school in the states, you have to go to school in the city (especially if you're a fashion-related major). So far as schools go, here is the run down of the most prestigous schools:

1. Parsons/ Central Saint Martin- I'm not sure which one goes first i think it may be a tie. Parsons alums (Narciso Rodriguez, Doo.Ri, Tom Ford, Marc Jacobs, Thakoon, Jack and Lazaro of Proenza Schouler, Donna Karan, etc.) CSM alums (Stella McCartney, John Galliano, Gareth Pugh, Alexander McQueen, Luella Bartley, Rick Owens? etc.). Both schools have excellent reps, but I think CSM is considered more creative, like the students have more choice in what kind of work they produce. One thing to note is that when you apply CSM you are really just applying to their foundation year, because after that year you have to re-apply to get into the major that you want and you can be accepted into foundation but rejected from you major of choice your second year. Parsons also has foundation year (it's tough) but ince you're in, you're in. Parsons also has a biz program (which I do!) which is for anyone who want to do editorial, styling, merchandising, buying, production, retail etc. I think It comes down to what you want to major in between these two schools.

2. FIT/RISD- FIT is a really good school, has a good reputation, people think it's a bit beneath Parsons but its supposedly has an excellent fashion business program. RISD is probably a better school (reputation wise) than FIT but RISD is a art school (not so design based) known for its fine/modern arts curriculum.

3.Pratt/London College? of Fashion- These are both pretty solid schools that often get overshadowed by the bigger schools in their repective cities. Pratt has a solid rep as a design school but more for industrial/product design than fashion. London College of Fashion is allows unfavorably compared to CSM but just b/c its not as good as CSM doesnt mean it isnt good at all. And supposedly their have an AMMMAAAZZINNG menswear program (some would even say better than CSM's)

5. School of Visual Arts- This is a really good art school in NYC. Not good for fashion design, but has amazing reputation and CONTACTS if you're into fashion photography. My friend goes there and she told me that all you have to do is go to your advisor and tell her where you want to intern/work and she can get you an interview.

4. LIM- LIM is a fashion business school located in NY. It doesnt have nearly as good a rep as Parsons or FIT, but the ppl I know who go there feel like they're getting their money's worth. I know I girl who goes there who just got internship with Gen Art (in the PR dept) extended to the summer...Just being a student in NY helps

Lastly stay away from OTIS, its a really bad school and they made their repuatation when they were apart of Parsons and now they're not and they have completely gone down the toilet...

i'm looking at fashion management/promotion courses
perhaps at LCF... are these strong reputable degrees or would i be better getting a solid undergraduate first and then maybe applying for a postgrad at CSM?
so confused as to what the best school for such courses are...
helppp meee!!
:D

I know that this is vague but...I met Alber Elbaz and he said the best schools are in England and France :lol:

People are knocking these trade schools such as FIDM and while I do agree that since it's so easy to get in(You mostly just have to show them that you have a general interest in fashion design) they all teach you the same skills. And you don't have to go to a school that's in a fashion capital. I actually have quite a few friends who have gone to school where I live at at the moment, Nashville, TN and one received an internship with Roberto Cavalli and is now employed with them and the other(a set of twins) received an internship with Vera Wang and both were offered jobs but declined and now own their own Bridal boutique that is doing very well(selling gowns starting at 5,000 dollars).
While fashion design is about networking, it's also about creativity and skills. IT IS NOT A WASTE OF MONEY TO GO TO A SCHOOL THAT'S NOT IN A FASHION CAPITAL. You are being taught the same skills and sometimes at a cheaper cost and you still can compete and receive the same job over someone who went to one of these well established schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nationalsalt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->