• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Betty Catroux

at Yves Saint Laurent F/W 07.08

catroux1lt1.jpg

catroux2pf3.jpg

nytimes.com

she's wearing the same outfit! love her confidence!

04alamode_slide9.jpg

04alamode_slide4.jpg

November 4, 2007

A La Mode
By ELISABETH FRANCK-DUMAS

Hervé Van der Straeten and Bruno Frisoni know that good parties, like good design, are all about the mix. At a recent dinner in their airy Parisian loft, the worlds of fashion and art melded in a perfect reflection of their decorating sensibility: modern chic with an edgy take on the classics.

Together, Van der Straeten — a furniture and accessories designer with his own gallery in the Marais — and Frisoni, the designer behind Roger Vivier shoes, have created a space where a Hans Wegner chaise coexists happily with leather Jasper Morrison chairs; a coffee table by Pierre Charpin can face off with a Louis XVI settee; and a Le Corbusier love seat is jolted into this century with Kelly-green satin. Van der Straeten’s own pieces, like his Dada mirror above the fireplace and his lacquer, bronze and parchment coffee table, are sprinkled throughout. And anchoring it all is a floor-to-ceiling mobile by the artist Xavier Veilhan, which imbues the space with elegance and whimsy.

Just as the light from the setting sun poured through the living room’s east-west exposures, Vanessa Seward and her music-producer boyfriend, Betrand Burgalat, arrived. She was in a breezily chic cocktail dress from the collection she designs for Azzaro, and he was in a pastel suit and the oversize 1950s glasses that he calls his Bernadette Chiracs — after the former French president’s wife.

“This apartment is a dream!” exclaimed the decorator Francois Catroux minutes later as he strode in with his wife, Betty, an icon of ’70s fashion who was dressed in a tight black leather jacket and bejeweled jeans. “And what is the name of this charming neighborhood?” demanded Alexandra Maria Brown, who had also just arrived. She was with her husband, the painter James Brown, whose new show had recently opened at Galerie Karsten Greve.

“I call it backstage Bastille,” Van der Straeten said.

Fresh from his wedding in Rome 13 days before, the gallery owner and contemporary art king Emmanuel Perrotin appeared with his wife, Hélène Sevaux. They were followed by the fashion designer Giambattista Valli, looking surprisingly relaxed only weeks before his ready-to-wear show, and Xavier Veilhan, who was heartily congratulated on his mobile sculpture and on his massive lacquered skull resting on the stainless-steel console. The guests nibbled on warm sesame puffs and sipped Ruinart Blanc de Blancs while Van der Straeten put the finishing touches on dinner — foie gras dumplings on braised leeks, tilapia filets in a vibrant herb sauce, and poached pears with a cassis sorbet from Berthillon on Ãle St.-Louis.

Though Parisians are notoriously cliquish, the eclectic mix of guests, much like the tasteful mélange of furniture, soon achieved perfect balance. “My work looks like a tree here, or a sort of plant,” Veilhan mused. “It’s as if the spheres represented everyone’s thoughts.”

Indeed, the conversation flitted about with the ease of Veilhan’s suspended black orbs. Is the Fiat heiress Ginevra Elkann the smartest Agnelli? Is hashish the new pastis? Just how ridiculous are those Vertu phones? Should one make fish stock with pieces of fish or just the bones?

On the white lacquered dinner table of his own design, Van der Straeten spread out plates, tall crystal glasses from a collection he did for St.-Louis, chunks of amethyst stones and small black skulls by his friend the artist John Powell. What drew the loudest raves, however, were the place mats, black and white photographs by Bruce Gilden that he had torn out of Fashion Magazine. “I usually hate place mats,” Van der Straeten explained. “But I don’t want to ruin the table, so I lay out sheets of tracing paper on which I have drawn, or I use photographs, often from V Magazine because they are so large and arresting."

Tonight, Donatella Versace, Ivana Trump, Valentino and Suzy Menkes stared back at the diners, a fun but slightly unnerving piece of commentary running throughout.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just received a fabulous editorial of betty....bc1- the magnatism.jpg

bc2.jpg

bc3- horst p horst.jpg

bc4 stripes.jpg

bc5.jpg

bc6 snap.jpg

bc7 apt.jpg

bc7.jpg
bc8.jpgSource: Italian Vogue March 2001 Scanned by Me

Just to finish it off....bc9.jpg

bc10.jpgSource: Italian Vogue March 2001 (Various photographers: Horst P. Horst, Helmut Newton, et al) Scanned by Me:heart:

thanks for the articles and pictures. i just adore betty.

Vogue Paris March 2014
"Féminin singulier"
Model/Star: Betty Catroux
Photographer: David Sims
Hair: Paul Hanlon
Makeup: Linda Cantello
Manicure: Elsa Durrens

allpdfmags.net

US Vogue September 15th, 1969
"Paris Courrèges"
Models: Susan Schoenberg, Mouche, Francoise Rubartelli, Bendetta Barzini, Moyra Swan, Marisa Berenson & Betty Catroux
Photographer: Irving Penn
Hair: Carita

Scanned by Freya @ ciaovogue.blogspot.com

Vogue Paris November 1969
"Des Contemporaines dans Leurs Meubles"
Models: Catherine Schneider, Marie-Claude Lalique & Betty Catroux
Photographer: Jeanloup Sieff

Scanned by Freya @ ciaovogue.blogspot.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members