Buzzcocks/Magazine

rollagasper

Reaction score
Anyone a fan of either the Buzzcocks, Magazine, or both? I don't think there's a thread on either of these two post-punk bands, and since Howard Devoto has been in both of these bands, I decided to put them together (to get more viewers... muahahah).

I love Magazine. I think they are one of the best post-punk bands. They definitely influenced Radiohead, Mansun, Morrissey/Smiths and I'm sure many other 80s bands. Real Life and Secondhand Daylight are such amazing albums.

Buzzcocks on the other hand I don't care for but I know a lot of people love them. I do like their first EP though, it's energetic and fun.

Buzzcocks '76, "Breakdown"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiTWdZhqoc0

Here's Magazine's "Shot by Both Sides" and the second link is Jarvis Cocker's HORRIBLE (although extremely humorous) cover of the song. Oh, Jarvis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwKv3H9WAkY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGIejhpbWOw

FC1016_BUZZCOCKS_6.JPG

ER1011_MAGAZINE_6.JPG

Great post. I loved both "back in the day", though I am much more familiar with the Buzzcocks' catalog than Magazine's.

That said, I have Shot by both Sides in my current playlist, and I don't think I have any Buzzcocks tunes in there.

Buzzcocks are definitely punk, though, I would not call them post-punk; they were first wave. The Spiral Scratch EP was released in 1976.

Did you see 24 Hour Party People? The Howard Devoto scene is hilarious!

Yeah, I saw "24 Hour Party People" a while back, but I didn't know who Devoto was at the time. Which scene is he in? Actually, there's a documentary on Buzzcocks and Magazine that was put together by Tony Wilson. It's on Youtube.

And you're right, 76 is not really post punk. And from little of what I heard from Buzzcocks, I guess they don't sound post punk either.

Yeah, I saw "24 Hour Party People" a while back, but I didn't know who Devoto was at the time. Which scene is he in?...

When Tony Wilson (Steve Coogan) is caught in the van with the party girl by his wife, she goes back into the club and has sex in a bathroom stall with the Howard Devoto character. The real HD cameos as a janitor who is cleaning the bathroom; he turns to the camera and says "I definitely don't remember this happening."

My other favorite cameo in the movie is Mark E. Smith, another Manchester icon... but that's for another thread.

^ I definitely remember that scene... And it makes more sense now. Hmm, I wish I could get my hands on a copy so I could watch it again. It was a funny movie.

i love both but im def more of a Buzzcocks fan

I love the Spiral Scratch EP and the Time's Up recordings with Devoto. Shelly as frontman doesn't really capture me unfortunately...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->