College Style

Continued
4159178747_24850f6ec9.jpg

4156639857_1096b314f8.jpg

4148309269_cb504f3276.jpg

workitberk

peaceloveworld makes awesome college apparel. also, i love over-sized college sweatshirts. if you're a jap, you know they never go out

i go to berkeley and as much as i love fashion & dressing up, 8am classes + engineering curriculum make me lazy.... i just wear casual clothes, most often than not, jeans + vans & a hoodie with a t-shirt or some cute top (tops can make an ordinary outfit fashionable, i guess)... when the weather is nice and my day isn't that long, then i'll dress up a bit (wear dresses). but it's been raining a lot this semester and my schedule is generally packed... and i can't seem to avoid wearing a backpack because i carry my multivariable calculus textbook around often and it's rather comfortable.

overall, my personal style is casual and sometimes bohemian.. lately i've been into skate wear (hoodies, t-shirts, jeans, vans/converse)... personally, that's my favorite style for guys (i like when guys wear levi's, though personally i only wear premium designer jeans but i can't stand seeing guys wearing designer jeans). i don't like guys who dress to the nines or are 'fashionable'... they appear too contrived. i guess nonchalant and not try hard is best for me.

i do see a lot of trendy, stylish people at berkeley but at the same time i see a lot of sloppy dressers. our campus is huge and quite diverse. i assume that the fashionable people are in the liberal arts/humanities?

I live in tropical weather, and wear skirts a lot- my campus has a dress code that says you can't bare your legs above the knee during class hours, so it's easy to get around that by putting tights under shorter skirts.

I'm sick of blue jeans, to be honest. Everyone wears them, and blue bootcuts at that. Boring.

I agree that it is disrespectful to go to class looking like a slob. The only time I've ever worn sweats to class was when I was so sick I could barely move (and I only went to class because I had to take a test). Even for my 8 a.m. class, I at least do jeans. Although shoe-wise, during the winter I have to stick with rainboots or snowboots a lot, just because I have to walk nearly a mile to some of my classes in the snow. But I really hate how prevalent sweats and no make-up are at my college. It's to the point that strangers will ask me why I'm wearing a dress/heels/whatever because they find it so different...

I have yet to see someone wearing sweat pants to class at my University. Thank God. But then again we don't have a typical campus, it's just seperate buildings in the city, so people do dress up because they'll spend their breaks at Starbucks and fancy restaurants.

The girls here all sport that nouveau riche-kid style. Louis Vuitton bags, dark blue skinny jeans, cardigans, Moncler jackets, etc.

What I also noticed is that guys at University dress much, much better than all the other guys you usually see on the street (Swiss men just don't care about what they wear, it's tragic :( ) They wear Gucci cardigans and Prada laptop cases and such.

The most hideous outfit I've seen on a girl in class was this one girl that wore taupe tights - worn as leggins??? - and they were very, very transparent and you could see her pink panties underneath, with a denim shirt tugged into that mess of tights and panties and underwear tops. It was gross. I generally see too many girls in leggins that are somewhat transparent paired with tight tops. As if leggins worn as pants weren't bad enough already.

Oh goodness! These pictures were clearly not taken at RIT!

Haha, that's an unfair assumption. There quite a few stylish Asians floating about. Mostly the art students.

Engineering...not so much. What a pity, I wanted to see someone break the nerdy stereotype around here. But it a den of world of warcraft and board shorts around here (even in snow, yes). Bo-ring!

But meh, to each their own!

It makes me stand out with minimal effort! :wink:

I attend the Catholic University of America where there are A LOT of people who dress purely for comfort and look as if they try hard to look bad. But it being in a big city, there are also a lot of people who take the effort to look nice when going to class.
I, myself, have found an easy middle man around this. Accessories can make the difference, as well as fit. Like, for instance, my CUA sweatshirt became a staple in my wardrobe this year. The difference between mines and everyone elses was that mine wasn't oversized. It fit properly. And I paired it with fun and interesting pins(brooches) and straight-legged rolled-up khakis. Add a Phillip Lim hold-all and it's an easy yet stylish outfit.

I transferred from fashion school to a liberal arts school so imagine my shock when I transitioned to being around nice city style to 'college' style. As for the slob look, I just think it's embarrassing and unprofessional for students to show up to class in pajamas. Even torn up jeans and a tee shirt is fine, but PJ's? Really? It just looks dirty. The most people will ever dress up at my school is a nice shirt and slacks if they have an internship or they need to dress up for a frat or sport but that's about it. My school is huge but in a way I feel a bit out of place at times, and half the time I'm not even that dressed up.

When I think of "College Style" it means jeans and CSU sweater haha. I would NEVER ever wear that no matter how comfortable it may feel.

Noooo..... don't tell me that RIT doesn't have many fashionable students! Well then, when I arrive on campus it's going to look a lot better (and I'm not even an art student!) :smile:

i disagree. how is it disrespectful to wear sweatpants or something equally casual to class? as a student, you pay tuition to attend, and as a teacher, you are paid for your services out of this pool of money. part of the expectation of that job is for them to obey a dress code. you show your teachers respect by doing the work, showing up to class on time, and being engaged in the class material. you do NOT owe it to them to dress in a certain way, and they do not care. if you are staying up all night in the library writing a paper for a teacher's class and then going straight to class instead of heading home to straighten your hair and put on something cute, how is that wrong? do i think it looks nice? no. but then, that isn't the point of college, is it?

i think everyone should dress like they wanna do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stksbnn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->