"couture’s Health Check"

Atelier

Hoppity Hop
Reaction score
Today's WWD

Thursday May 13, 2004
Couture’s Health Check: Will the Sector Survive Exits of Ungaro, Versace?

By Miles Socha

PARIS — Just when the couture seems to lack buzz, it springs back to life — because of speculation that it’s dying.

Both Emanuel Ungaro and Donatella Versace told WWD exclusively Wednesday they are bidding farewell to the world of couture — or at least its runways — which is bound to fuel fresh debate over the future of ultraexpensive, handmade clothes as the number of their purveyors continues to dwindle.

The news from Ungaro and Versace follows the announcement by Givenchy that it would not show during Paris couture week July 6-9 as it seeks a replacement for Julien Macdonald, and rumors that Valentino also is considering dropping the couture. A spokesman for the house on Wednesday denied the speculation, however, and said the designer will show a couture collection in Paris couture week July 6-9 as it seeks a replacement for Julien Macdonald, and rumors that Valentino also is considering dropping the couture. A spokesman for the house on Wednesday denied the speculation, however, and said the designer will show a couture collection in Paris in July.

But the moves are bound to prompt further soul-searching among the remaining names on the couture roster. Chanel and Christian Dior, for example, while deeply committed to the couture business, have recently questioned the viability of a couture week in Paris as the number of participants continues to decrease. Karl Lagerfeld has even recently mulled the possibility of showing in New York.

Houses that have stopped making couture in recent years include Yves Saint Laurent, Thierry Mugler, Louis Feraud, Lanvin and Nina Ricci.

The couture has had its ups and downs, but seemed to find a new viability in the booming Nineties with the extravaganzas mounted by John Galliano at Dior and the entry into the craft of such houses as Jean Paul Gaultier. Even Alexander McQueen at one point voiced an ambition to produce a couture collection under his Gucci-backed label, but that never came to fruition.

But as the luxury goods sector was hammered by the global economic downturn after 9/11, it became increasingly difficult for some houses to justify the investment in their expensive couture operations. Ungaro’s departure from the couture removes another pillar of the craft, and one on which he founded his house 37 years ago.

When told Ungaro was leaving couture and Versace would possibly follow suit, Pierre Bergé said, “I’m sure others will follow. I’ve always said that the couture would die with Yves Saint Laurent. Now it’s a domino effect. The couture has lost its raison d’être. Couture isn’t art. It’s not meant to be hung in a closet like a painting. The women who wore couture no longer exist, the art de vivre that spawned couture has died.

“If houses such as Chanel and Dior one day get proof that they can sell as many bags and fragrances without a couture show, they’ll stop couture, too.”

Although Ungaro’s withdrawal from couture week is bound to carry historical importance — especially as it comes only three years after Yves Saint Laurent retired from the couture — the designer has been gradually withdrawing from the fashion scene in recent years. In January, he scaled back his couture show to two intimate presentations at Avenue Montaigne. That sparked speculation that it could be his last show.

Ungaro, 71, stopped short on Wednesday of saying he’s retiring, insisting he will continue as a creative guru and figurehead for the house, much as he has since 2001 when he passed the design reins for ready-to-wear to Giambattista Valli.

In fact, Ungaro said he hopes to continue servicing and attracting an upscale clientele with a new hybrid of couture and rtw delivered at the speed of modern times.

“If the house decides to not make couture collections any more, I regret it, of course. But it’s the law of the métier,” he said in an exclusive interview in his sun-drenched atelier on Avenue Montaigne. “I’m not nostalgic. I’m not sad. But we have to live faster and we are reflecting on a new way to do things.

“The modern way of living does not allow us to make a show, present the prototypes, order the fabrics, wait for the delivery and then have clients come for three fittings.”

Details of the hybrid line are still being finalized — including pricing and whether or not it will be shown to the press. The first is expected to be ready by fall.

Ungaro chief executive officer Paolo Di Spirt, who joined the designer for the interview, said the couture atelier was recently restructured, with headcount reduced by about 20 percent. But he said the skills and expertise of the remaining employees, numbering less than 30, would be applied to other Ungaro products, which range from diffusion and jeans collections to swimwear and accessories.

Wednesday’s announcement comes amid speculation of a rift in the house between Ungaro and Valli.

Italian-born Valli, 37, has been credited with modernizing the house and bringing new attention to the brand — dressing celebrities from Nicole Kidman to Lucy Liu. He initially joined the house in 1997 to run the design studio and was promoted to women’s fashion director two years later.

Asked about his relationship with Valli, described by some company insiders as estranged, Ungaro waved off the question by insisting that conflict is natural in creative and artistic matters. A Renaissance type prone to quoting writers, philosophers and artists, Ungaro mentioned Michelangelo quarreled with his assistants while painting the Sistine Chapel.

“I do not have a personal conflict with Giambattista Valli,” Ungaro said. “We may work in a different way….But if we work for a house, we all have to live together. We have to respect the ethic of the house.”

Valli had no comment on Wednesday’s announcement.

Ungaro insisted he still has plenty to do for the house. Last month, he traveled to Rome for the launch of a fragrance, Apparition, and he will soon travel to New York to receive a lifetime achievement award from the Pratt Institute.

“I love to work, in fact,” Ungaro said. “We are full of energy here. We’re not going to sleep.”

Indeed, Di Spirt spoke frankly about the amount of work that needs to be done at the company, which has been operating in the red since it was acquired by Salvatore Ferragamo in 1996. Di Spirt declined to quantify the losses, but market sources estimate them to be north of $10 million a year. The Ungaro brand generated wholesale volume of about $95.2 million, or 80 million euros, last year, Di Spirt noted.

Since the cost of making a couture collection and mounting a show can easily run into the millions, Wednesday’s announcement will amount to significant cost savings for the firm.

“We’re not saying ‘Let’s cut our roots to cut costs,’” Di Spirt stressed. “Rather, we’re acknowledging that our customers are asking for something else.”

Ungaro is believed to have a client base for couture of perhaps 200 women.

Although figures are never broken out, in January the house characterized couture sales as “fair.” Prices per item start at about $25,000. Ungaro and Di Spirt insisted prices were never the problem, but rather that younger clients do not plan their wardrobes months in advance.

“We don’t only want to maintain our older clients, but develop a new young clientele as well,” Di Spirt said. “There are a lot of young women out there who want special pieces, but aren’t prepared to go through the process of haute couture ordering.”

Ungaro himself grew up in couture. Although his first job in fashion was as an assistant to a Sicilian tailor in his hometown of Aix-en-Provence, his formative experience came working for the legendary Cristobal Balenciaga. There, Ungaro learned the importance of draping — as opposed to sketching — and the rigors of couture. After six years under Balenciaga’s tutelage, Ungaro struck out in 1967 with his own house in Paris, earning quick acclaim as an innovative tailor and bold colorist. Among his first couture clients were Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and French high-society doyenne Marie-Helene de Rothschild, who helped catapult his seductive and colorful style into society.

Originally inspired by Carnaby Street, the Beats and the hippie movement, Ungaro has more lately been associated with lusty Mediterranean style — replete with shocking colors, cascades of ruffles and daring shapes. “Life changes, but what never changes is people’s desire to be beautiful,” he once said.

Meanwhile, De Spirt said among priorities for the Ungaro business is maximizing sales of its signature, Fuchsia and Fever lines, while expanding the accessories category to a target of 30 percent of sales in three to four years. At present, shoes and handbags, produced under license by Ferragamo, generate about 7 percent of sales.

De Spirt said brand sales rebounded about a year and a half ago and that the latest incarnation of the Emanuel/Emanuel Ungaro bridge line, now licensed to G.A.V. in the U.S., has been meeting sales targets.

Other recent business developments include new franchise boutiques in Dubai, Beirut and Kuwait, along with three directly operated corners in Japan. Di Spirt also said he is close to signing new licenses for men’s wear.

— With contributions from Alessandra Ilari, Milan, and Robert Murphy, Paris

troubling news but .. it just makes sense.
global economy is in a very bad state for spectacles and extravaganzas...

if they go on with couture week they will certainly have to focus in new designers

ps: Versace will show in their Milano atelier, here extracts from the wwd article

Versace Ends Couture Shows to Focus on Ready-to-Wear Collections

By Alessandra Ilari

MILAN — In further restructuring moves, Versace is shifting its resources and focus from couture to its bourgeoning pre-collections and main ready-to-wear line.

The company said that, starting in July and for an undisclosed time period, it will no longer show during the couture seasons in Paris, but will sell to atelier clients from its Milan headquarters.

Versace said the decision will allow it to accelerate the development of its pre-collection business by allocating additional resources to the various departments: design, sourcing, production, merchandising and delivery.

“Our women’s business is coming off two strong back-to-back seasons,” said Daniele Ballestrazzi, Versace’s interim chief executive officer, in a statement. “Through the beginning of May, retail sales for the spring-summer 2004 main collection are up 28 percent, while wholesale revenues for fall-winter 2004 grew 22 percent over the previous year.”

Okay, first off, I hope that the media will NOT sensationalize this. Givenchy is LOOKING for a designer, not leaving. Just Ungaro and Versace.

Also Berge has a point there, but he is not totally correct and seems to full of himself. To quote him, "I’m sure others will follow. I’ve always said that the couture would die with Yves Saint Laurent. Now it’s a domino effect. The couture has lost its raison d’être. Couture isn’t art. It’s not meant to be hung in a closet like a painting. The women who wore couture no longer exist, the art de vivre that spawned couture has died." Dude, have you seen Gaultier couture collections lately and just wait for me to get into the couture club, you'll see. :rolleyes: :boxer:

As for the rumours Valentino may be leaving the couture club, I dunno. It may be possible since his latest couture collection was barely passable-as couture-like Ungaros.

Though, you know who's rejoicing over this news? Jean-Paul Gaultier. When he found out YSL was going to retire he wanted to prove himself and become the new establishment, which he now is. That's why you can see how carefully designed his couture collections were from Spring 2001; like sharply tailored suits opened the show before the spectacle. He's gonna prove himself once again.

Sad news, though, for John Galliano. Well, we all know he has been creating bad collections recently and if he sends out a bad this fall... oh no.. you get the picture; worst time to send out a bad couture collection.

Good news, though, for Givenchy. The brand is given it's much needed 'vanishment' time (since it's been changing designers alot) and Julien isn't there to show (it would be the worst time). :clap:

Also hope Karl will send out a strong one that will equal his Fall 2002 one.

Thanks, At. :flower:

Originally posted by Lena@May 13th, 2004 - 1:31 am
troubling news but .. it just makes sense.
global economy is in a very bad state for spectacles and extravaganzas...
True, but you know what it would not be this way if the designers gave out wearable and strong couture collections that clients would PAY (I'm looking at you freebie-celebs) for.

Also this fusing-fusing of RTW and HC, IMO, may be great but don't give a f*ck. Make couture, what you designers want, 'modern'. Make it wearable, light and can finish right away. Also if you 'fuse' couture will never be the same way again. :cry:

Also, hoping that Ralph and Lacroix will turn out brilliant collections.

on the contrary.... if i am every super rich, im sure as hell gonna buy a few couture pieces n have them as art... but that purely coz i would never wear them, but i appreciate them so much...

do houses ever produce couture outfits from seasons past?

im getting miffed that couture is slowly fading.... my dream was at some point to go to a well established house n to learn some of the arts n crafts of couture :cry:

ot: :hardhead:

Originally posted by ignitioned32@May 13th, 2004 - 10:25 am
OMG, sedi you look like Jake Gylhenhaal. :shock:
hilariously loud laughter ensues...
I SO DO NOT.... hav u seen other piccies of me?

yuck.. i have been upgraded to gold stars... i dont like them :furious: i want my blue ones back :cry:

Originally posted by seditionary+May 13th, 2004 - 5:56 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seditionary @ May 13th, 2004 - 5:56 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> ot: :hardhead:

<!--QuoteBegin-ignitioned32
@May 13th, 2004 - 10:25 am
OMG, sedi you look like Jake Gylhenhaal. :shock:
hilariously loud laughter ensues...
I SO DO NOT.... hav u seen other piccies of me?

yuck.. i have been upgraded to gold stars... i dont like them :furious: i want my blue ones back :cry: [/b][/quote]
Yes I saw. I'm only saying in that photo. :flower:

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooo... Versace Couture is unbelievable.. but instead.. COUTURE AS A WHOLE will be doooomed!!! THATS SO SAD

Originally posted by ignitioned32@May 13th, 2004 - 11:08 am
Though, you know who's rejoicing over this news? Jean-Paul Gaultier. When he found out YSL was going to retire he wanted to prove himself and become the new establishment, which he now is.
You're so right ignitioned! When I saw the latest show by Jean-Paul I was shocked 'cause it is so beatiful.

No doubt that these farewell will strengthen is position.

btw I'm disappointed because one of the thing I like most in the fashion industry is the haute couture world... imho the shows are the essence of the word "fashion".

Originally posted by versace@May 13th, 2004 - 12:19 pm
NOoooooooooooooooooooooooo... Versace Couture is unbelievable..
i agree.. its so unbeleiveable how it was ever named couture.... it is just the same trashy stuff donetella sends down the pap runways... :yuk: :ninja:

Originally posted by ignitioned32@May 13th, 2004 - 10:08 am

Sad news, though, for John Galliano. Well, we all know he has been creating bad collections recently and if he sends out a bad this fall... oh no.. you get the picture; worst time to send out a bad couture collection.

DIOR COUTURE.... will never die... its tooo much of a tradition as is CHANEL...
they will either replace galliano/largerfeld... or work out some way for it to carry on...but i dont see anything like that happening anytime soon... the couture spectacle, be it a bad GALLIANO theatrical display, or a demure LAGERFELD coco loco creation, creates the buzz around the names dior n chanel as the article said.... people want to buy into that image... so they buy what they can afford... be it chanel number 5 or dior show mascara.... the houses make money off of their names more than ever... the perfumes, the bags, the shoes, the makeup and the jewellry... thats where their money comes from... not couture and not even pap, but for ungaro and the likes they dont have a strong accessory aspect, so they have to reconsider they house and where it does get its money from...

another the thing with dior n chanel ... THEY ARE THE ESTABLISHMENT now... givenchy has been thrown in the bin many years ago... and with yves depature... they are all that is truely left
the newer ones like lacroix n gaultier... can't b deemed the establishment yet... they need the maturity that only years upon years in the industry can bring....
they are more like the new gaurd....

jus my opinions on the subject :ninja:

ungaro and versace have long been irrelevant in the grand scheme of the couture. i think that versace atelier has brought some celebrity focus to the couture, but i don't think that celebrities are ever the market for the couture.

i think that over the next few years the couture will scale back and become more like it used to be. private, intimate shows for a select few clients. women who have the money and time and desire to look utterly unique and be surrounded in unmatched luxury.

if the large scale shows are cut back, i think we would actually find that the couture is a quite lucrative, albeit small, industry...right now i think that there are a couple of houses that try to outdo each other with the most outlandish and most costly creations instead of focusing on the perfect pieces for their clients. :wink:

I don't know what for Donatella did last couture show, it was so bad. Broadcasting at ftv "live" and now just ending??

Amelie
Where is that gorgeous couture ed taken from???
Thanks

From WWD today:

Versace Ends Couture Shows to Focus on Ready-to-Wear Collections

By Alessandra Ilari

MILAN — In further restructuring moves, Versace is shifting its resources and focus from couture to its bourgeoning pre-collections and main ready-to-wear line.

The company said that, starting in July and for an undisclosed time period, it will no longer show during the couture seasons in Paris, but will sell to atelier clients from its Milan headquarters.
Versace said the decision will allow it to accelerate the development of its pre-collection business by allocating additional resources to the various departments: design, sourcing, production, merchandising and delivery.

“Our women’s business is coming off two strong back-to-back seasons,” said Daniele Ballestrazzi, Versace’s interim chief executive officer, in a statement. “Through the beginning of May, retail sales for the spring-summer 2004 main collection are up 28 percent, while wholesale revenues for fall-winter 2004 grew 22 percent over the previous year.”

Ballestrazzi added that Versace felt the need to reallocate resources to improve profitability and strengthen the company across the board.

To underscore the move, Ballestrazzi said that, starting with spring-summer 2005, the pre-collection and first line will be renamed Main Collection and Runway Collection, respectively, and will be conceived as consistent collections.

The Main and Runway collections are expected to generate 65 percent and 35 percent of seasonal revenues, respectively, Ballestrazzi noted. As part of the new strategy, an expanded women’s wear Main Collection will be shown in June alongside the men’s collection.

The moves also are expected to result in more timely production and delivery schedules, cost efficiencies and better sell-throughs for Versace’s wholesale partners and fully owned retail operations.

To further pump up the volume, Versace is upping its advertising budget by 20 percent for the second half of the year. While Versace declined to comment on the amount it spends overall on advertising, an industry source estimated the additional investment to be in the league of $1.2 million. Targeted markets include the Far East, Italy, the U.S. and Russia.

I think it's a good move for them. I never really liked the couture collections, and Donatella can keep making gowns for actresses, red carpet appearances, etc.

:magic: and sedi said... let this b merged... and it was done
:cry: wish i was a mod with magical powers

well...here it is...as i had suggested earlier...changing the show schedule and delivery dates...i predict that others will follow... :wink: :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LA REGINA
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->