Designers Switching Houses & Moving to New Brands

One thing to add - I am aware the candidate with highest scoring would be one with a proven track record and an assured hand with accessories. 2nd-in-line choices from a successful star designer from the Ghesquiere, Philo or Valentino teams could always be a strong choice. But we've seen with a hiring like Sabato de Sarno at Gucci that it's not a guaranteed success.

Givenchy is really at a low just like Lanvin after too many unsuccessful people at the helm. It would therefor make sense to appoint someone that can generate steam and deliver a strong identity for Givenchy in the first seasons, from where on they can develop strong shoes and accessories lines in sync with the fashion.

Galliano will not get Givenchy. They need someone who sells because the brand is severely damaged, and Galliano, with all due respect, wouldn't be that person. Also, the workload would be too much for him. After all, Givenchy has womenswear, menswear and possibly couture under one director. That said, LVMH don't know what to do with the brand, either.

My guess would be Anna wanting to get his namesake brand back on the right track as a small but steady operation. And btw, Burton is allegedly out of the Givenchy competition already.

I don't get the necessity or desire to revive the Galliano brand.
It was never that commercially successful to begin with (not even during Galliano's peak in his career) so I doubt whether it would make any sense for LVMH to re-invest in the brand.

It's clear Anna Wintour is his absolute number one champion and will not rest before he lands something prestigious again.
I'm not so sure the Arnaults will be persuaded by her though. They're definitely not Renzo Rosso.

I agree that Givenchy needs an alluring name as honestly it could be the last chance for the house to get back on track before it ends up like Lanvin. If not Sarah Burton, Haider would be excellent indeed.

Perhaps they’re planning on doing a full relaunch of Haute Couture? It would make sense for them to take their time to find the perfect candidate. I would prefer a seasoned couturier like Galliano instead of some clown that spends more time in front of an iPhone than the design room.

i can't believe that some of you would rather have another young, inexperienced clown like m*tthew williams... instead of the greatest living couturier lmao

let's be honest, john is the only one who could generate the level of hype and attention that would permanently put the brand back on the map. he's a visionary with a proven track record. olivier and haider are out of the question and burton has seemingly been shunned in favour of young dumb 'talent'. as much as i would kill to see a japanese designer at the helm, that's just not gonna happen.

Last edited:
I know that you like him, but Galliano is old news. I already saw his collection for Givenchy before he designed it.

Galliano is in the late stage of his career. In my opinion, he wants to design clothes, but not fashion. He's not playing the game anymore. And I believe the CEOs want fashionable, desirable items.

About Marc at Chanel: what would he do there besides copying Lagerfel till the reach 70?

I know that you like him, but Galliano is old news.
old news? his recent show (which i wasn't even a fan of) has almost 2M views on youtube. there's like a hundred think-pieces and articles about how it was one of the best shows in years (again, disagree). "old news" isn't true and you know it. this is an infinitesimal minority opinion.

old news? his recent show (which i wasn't even a fan of) has almost 2M views on youtube. there's like a hundred think-pieces and articles about how it was one of the best shows in years (again, disagree). "old news" isn't true and you know it. this is an infinitesimal minority opinion.
some part i can agree but with context/conditions like : John early Dior and his own brands work at that period is still fresh if he can stay away from drag and add some natural edge to make the clothes come alive for everyday life as well just ......madness creativity and nostalgia like last margiela show i think only great social clouth online but don't translate to sales with identifiable merch with longer shelf life and would be a flop approach for Givenchy.

Marc at Chanel will be a better version of Jeremy Scott Moschino ...Marc is stuck in his ways and stylistic obsessions sadly ...also Karl did the fun and pop at Chanel so many years it's time Chanel gets a more sharp edge and be even more snob in style and super chic not round and funny with pop culture tricks.

any ways who ever it will be hope its cool and amazing i am bored with fashion ...very few things left that are exciting :-/

I´d like someone unknown for Givenchy...but someone unknown with TALENT. And to get that, first LVMH needs talented headhunters, somebody able to recognize talent when displayed. Because nowadays it seems headhunters are unable to do so.

Either that or hire Christian Siriano. If they are going to destroy Givenchy, then let´s do it with a big bang!

please Marc can barely keep his own brand afloat you all think he's able to take over a huge house x10 bigger than his ? :rofl:
Well he did successfully turn LV into the number one luxury brand in the world…so he does have a good track record lol

Not that I think he’s an appropriate choice for Chanel, either way.

^^Ralph Rucci has all the right references...but never comes up with the right end result.
"bUt I hAvE fOrTy-FiVe YeArS oF cOuTuRe ExPeRiEnCe."

Rucci's Valentino would probably be very good, but I think that genre of 80s/90s American sportswear would be serious and stern for a European couture house, especially one like Valentino.

LVMH could sell Marc Jacobs​

Posted On April 30, 2024 CPP-LUXURY

LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE is exploring options for its Marc Jacobs fashion brand amid interest from potential buyers, people with knowledge of the matter said. The fashion giant has been working with advisers to study possibilities for Marc Jacobs after getting approaches from suitors, the people said. The brand could attract bids from other consumer companies as well as private equity firms, the people said, asking not to be identified because the information was private.

The review is in the early stages and LVMH hasn’t made a final decision on how to respond to the interest. The luxury conglomerate could continue growing the business itself, according to the people. A representative for LVMH said the company strongly denies it’s considering a sale of Marc Jacobs, declining to comment further.
It’s relatively rare for LVMH to divest any of the brands in its portfolio. One of the last major disposals was in 2016, when it agreed to sell Donna Karan and DKNY for an enterprise value of $650 million. Any deal would help LVMH to capitalise on a years-long turnaround of Marc Jacobs and allow it to offload a brand in the affordable luxury category in order to focus on higher-end offerings.

Fashion designer Marc Jacobs, 61, was an artistic director for more than a decade at the Louis Vuitton brand, which is LVMH’s biggest profit contributor. The New York native’s namesake brand was founded in 1984 alongside business partner Robert Duffy. LVMH owns about 80 percent of the brand, while Jacobs and Duffy own the remainder.
Marc Jacobs sells products like The Tote Bag that retail for €550 ($588) in France, much lower than the €1,500 ($1,603) price tag for a Louis Vuitton Neverfull bag. It ventured into personal care in 2007, debuting the Marc Jacobs Daisy perfume with the famed floral cap and subsequently launched a beauty collection in 2014, according to its website.

LVMH has restructured Marc Jacobs in recent years, which led to a simplification of its product offering. The profitable brand recorded about €600 million ($642 million) of sales in 2023, one of the people said. LVMH doesn’t break down financial performance by label.
Paris-based LVMH is the world’s biggest luxury conglomerate, having amassed 75 labels ranging from Tiffany & Co. to Christian Dior and champagne maker Dom Perignon.

Arnault is cutting loose ends here. I’m not surprised, this whole MJ situation was to keep control over him while he was at LV but now it’s more fuss than it’s worth it. Probably they’ll trade it for some houses from Kering.

Bof.com

LVMH Considering Options for Marc Jacobs, Amid Buyer Interest, Say Sources​

The fashion giant has been working with advisers to study possibilities for the Marc Jacobs brand after being approached by suitors.

Bloomberg.com

LVMH Is Considering Options for Marc Jacobs Amid Buyer Interest, Sources Say​

• Affordable luxury brand drawing interest from suitors
  • French luxury conglomerate taps adviser to review options
LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE is exploring options for its Marc Jacobs fashion brand amid interest from potential buyers, people with knowledge of the matter said.
The fashion giant has been working with advisers to study possibilities for Marc Jacobs after getting approaches from suitors, the people said. The brand could attract bids from other consumer companies as well as private equity firms, the people said, asking not to be identified because the information was private.
The review is in the early stages and LVMH hasn’t made a final decision on how to respond to the interest. The luxury conglomerate could continue growing the business itself, according to the people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonic boom
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->