Exhibition: Life in Occupied Paris

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Exhibition: Life in Occupied Paris

First I wanted to talk to you about the Sophie Calle exhibition at the Nationale Bibliothèque, but I got so bored there I prefer to speak about a lower profile, more unusual show: the Life in Occupied Paris exhibition. The daily life of Parisians during World War Two is depicted via 270 colour photographs by André Zucca. Unsettling but fascinating.Zucca's pictures are the only colour images to have been taken by a French photographer at that time. Employed by Signal, a weekly German Nazi propaganda magazine, he was given Agfacolor films for his work. He was obviously a collaborator, but his testimony remains precious. It enables us to discover Paris under a new light, frighteningly mundane.

The exhibition created controversy when it started. People were angered by the lack of details about the context in which the pictures were taken. Since then, posters in the streets have been withdrawn, the title has been corrected and an information sheet is distributed at the entrance. It warns about the propaganda aspect: even if none of the pictures on display were used by Signal, they're not neutral. Apart from a yellow star on two pictures, they don't mention the horror of that time.

Crédit photo : A. Zucca / Roger-Viollet

The visit creates a weird sensation for several reasons. First, because the pictures are in colour, which makes the era look closer. I already had that feeling a few months ago at the Paris in Colour exhibition, but this time, after two pictures, I felt as though I was in occupied Paris. Secondly, there's something about the atmosphere. Because the films were not very sensitive (16 ASA), Zucca could only shoot when the wheather was very sunny. Inevitably, it adds an air of insouciance and happiness to the pictures. And of course, there are the Germans in the pictures. It's hard to explain, but the Paris streets have changed so little in 60 years that seeing Nazis quietly leaving Madeleine church after the mass looks even more revolting.

Having said that, these pictures are also a priceless testimony of fashion at that time. Yes, fashion. This could sound revolting, but several pictures in the exhibition show that some women tried to be as fashionable as they could.

http://blogs.lexpress.fr/cafe-mode/

Gare de Lyon, 1942 - Crédit photo : A. Zucca / Roger-Viollet
zucca_gare_de_lyon.jpg

Longchamp, août 1943 - Crédit photo : A. Zucca / Roger-Viollet
zucca_longchamp.jpg

Cours de Vincennes, 1941 -Crédit photo : A. Zucca / Roger-Viollet
This is my favourite pic of the show. I love the contrast between her daring pose and her shy smile. Her wide trousers are only belted by a rope, but she must have spent hours on her hair. This girl, when I look at her, I want to have a chat with her. I'd like to know what she was doing before, what she did after... But I also like the fact she remains an enigma.

Life in Occupied Paris
From March 20th to July 1st 2008
Bibliothèque historique de la Ville de Paris
22, rue Malher, Paris 4ème
Tél : 00 33 1 44 59 29 60
From Tuesday to Sunday - 11am to 7pm
4 €, reductions 2 €
Tube station: Saint Paul (line 1)

love these..
very fashionable :smile: staying well in difficult times

cafemode (maybe she could talk, non? :wink:).... did a very good report of the exhibition....
true this exhibition did a scandal in France (though scandal would be a BIG expression if we count the reviews about it in mass media)....
I really like the fact she took some "recul" about it.... and present us something people didn't talk about in this exhibition : Fashion.... maybe to erase for a minute from mind about the rest.....

though I must say I'm still shock by this picture of Rue de Rivoli with the Nazi flags....:blink::doh: (my grandma' never told me about this :shock: and she told me lot about the Nazi présence in Paris. oh by the way : she hated the exhibition!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanEscher
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->