F/W 09.10 Fashion Statements - Telegraph article

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Micro trends making major fashion statements this autumn

Brace yourselves as 'slow-burning trends', such as thigh-high boots and shoulder pads, hit the big time this season.

Clare Coulson
Published: 8:00AM BST 12 Aug 2009

catwalksummary460_1460204c.jpg
Strong slowburners: (from left) thigh high boots at Vivienne Westwood a/w 2010; big necklaces at Lanvin a/w 2010; biker jackets at Stella McCartney a/w 2010 Photo: OLIVIER CLAISSE

Do you ever flick through a glossy magazine and get the feeling that you’ve seen it all before? This September’s monthlies celebrate the new season by advising us to invest in ladylike chic (Vogue), to go disco (Harper’s Bazaar) or embrace strong shoulders (Marie Claire).
If it all sounds familiar, it’s because they are all trends we have seen in the not-so-distant past. While the fashion business thrives on novelty, it turns a profit from the slow-burners – the trends that lurk on the sidelines before taking hold.

It’s a necessary part of the fashion whirl – most of us need a season or two to warm up to a new shape or bold accessory. Take this season’s bold shoulder, for example. When Balmain’s Christophe Decarnin first showed his fierce pagoda shoulder last autumn, it felt extreme. It was a look only diehard fashion followers or the super-chic editors of French Vogue could carry off.
Six months later, others are jumping on the bandwagon – exaggerated shoulders appear in the autumn collections from Dolce & Gabbana, Balenciaga, Roksanda Illincic and many more. Once our eyes have adjusted and other designers have picked up the trend, it looks more do-able. Here’s our pick of slow-burners worth warming to this autumn.
Biker jackets
The biker jacket has been around for a few seasons, thanks to Balenciaga’s Nicolas Ghesquière, who based the house’s best-selling handbag on details of the fashion classic. Belstaff – the firm that costume designers head to for their biker jackets – and LA-based labels, including Rick Owens, have helped to make it a solid trend.
This time around, the biker has lightened up – leathers are pared down to become form-fitting, and designers are mixing it up more than ever. At the autumn shows, Haider Ackerman put biker jackets with long, romantic skirts; Stella McCartney paired hers with short dresses; and Gucci’s Frida Giannini added shrunk jackets to her disco-inspired leggings. On the high street, it’s worth paying more for good leather. Karen Millen has one of the best in a super-light, washed leather.
Big baubles
Thanks to the designers at Lanvin, Marni and Missoni, whopping necklaces knocked the It-bag off its perch this time last year. Now they are back bigger than ever. London girl Mary Katrantzou’s metal neckpieces hang right down to the navel. Lanvin’s industrial-looking chokers are made from thick tubes of brass while Oscar de la Renta has opted for more conservative charm-inspired versions. The high street has equally imposing pieces, such as Topshop’s chunky chains in pearl and gold, or make one using metal gobstoppers from Covent Garden’s Bead Shop.
Statement tights
Was it the LA-based sisters Laura and Kate Mulleavy (aka Rodarte) who kicked off this trend with their ghoulish ripped tights last autumn? Or is it Marni’s preference for eccentric hosiery that has prompted this plethora of crazily coloured and patterned legwear? Either way, this trend is a non-starter. A McQueen harlequin puffball dress with oompa-loompa striped tights? No thanks. We say stick with Balenciaga’s oh-so-chic polka-dot sheers.
Thigh-high boots
Boots were hovering well above the knee last winter thanks to Antonio Berardi, Costume National and Karl Lagerfeld at Fendi. Against all odds, the thigh-high boot is back.
This is arguably the season’s trickiest accessory – some designers have made it look totally over the top. It’s hard to imagine anyone other than Madonna pulling off Louis Vuitton’s gold, baroque-style, thigh-high platform boots, and Prada’s stiff, thigh-high gaiters would look de trop at the office.
It’s all about choosing the right pair to avoid looking like a tart or fashion victim. Search for sleek versions, like the caramel suede boots shown at Ermanno Scervino, or choose a flat version over flashy, high-heeled boots.
Sequinned blazers
Some trends hover on the sidelines and in Kate Moss’s wardrobe for so long that when they do hit the big time, they are everywhere. And so it is with the sequinned jacket, which has been revived by London girls such as Les Chiffoniers’ Leena Similu and Joanna Sykes. There aren’t many rules here: pair them with a simple T-shirt and jeans, or leggings and high heels.

telegraph.co.uk

thanks for the article :heart:

could the recession be why? people are looking for something to invest in and not wanting to jump on trends that have a short lifespan

and are designers playing it safe?

I love all of these trends so I don't mind them, maybe these slowburners will represent the fashion of this decade in years to come?

i can't bring myself to wear a sequin jacket or thigh high boots...

but maybe if i was in my 20's i would...^_^...

the big baubles, biker jkts and statement tights all seem like fun though....

* i'm not gonna go for big shoulder pads either...
:ninja:

I'm a sucker for thigh-highs, I have two pairs which I use regurarly

and a sequin jacket is lying somewhere in my closet

Thanks for posting this. :flower:

- My first F/W 09 purchase was the Isabel Marant thigh highs (pre-order). I am eagerly anticipating their arrival.
- Hate bold shoulders.
- I have been wearing "big baubles" for years. To me, they will never be a trend. I'll always wear them.
- I think biker jackets are classic. They will always be in style.
- Sequined blazers and statement tights are two looks I love but will probably not try.

i think some of these slow burners are going to crash and burn before they make it to the masses. thigh highs with heels are just too hard for most women to wear, i give these one season before they become a dont unless they are flat's. big baubles will turn to medium size elements to win us over without getting a neck ache. sequins can be fun when worn with subdued pieces but its a hard concept to embrace unless the price is right. statement tights ala marni are a blast however they do tend to sit in my sock drawer more than the basic black ones, but for a small stipend they can be a great accessory to add without breaking the bank like all the others. biker jackets im kinda over already...but biker/combat boots are going to be making a soft comeback. big shoulders pads are actually a fantastic trend and are the one item in this article that really has some mainstay to me, now if i can only find a good version of the norma kamali sweatshirt i had in high school my holy grail will be found.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually already got an item with shoulder pads (mint condition vintage Ralph Lauren blazer in red for $20...yessssss) and I own a sequined blazer type thing (it has shoulder pads as well). I'm in the market for some thigh-high boots, and I'm going to buy those H & M sequined leggings. I already have big, clunky jewelry. Biker jackets aren't for me, though.

Guess I'm covered. :smile:

i could maybe do big baubles or a little sequined jacket in black.. otherwise no way..^_^ i would look so ridiculous in shoulder pads or thigh high boots...my god..

^I looooooooong ago stopped worrying about looking ridiculous. If I did, I wouldn't be able to wear anything in fashion or in my closet.

hmm...perhaps i didn't express myself properly. :P i don't mind if other people think i look ridiculous.. that wouldn't stop me. but i wouldn't feel comfortable in shoulder pads or thigh high boots... they're just not for me. they wouldn't even end up in my closet. :wink:

I just got a blazer with shoulder pads and I'm already looking for another one. I was only a baby when this trend was big :(

hmm...perhaps i didn't express myself properly. :P i don't mind if other people think i look ridiculous.. that wouldn't stop me. but i wouldn't feel comfortable in shoulder pads or thigh high boots... they're just not for me. they wouldn't even end up in my closet. :wink:
Ahhh. I see. Yeah, to me, 99% of style is feeling comfortable in what you're wearing. If you feel like a moron, you'll look like a moron.

Anyway, I know all the little baby hipsters at my school are going to be pulling out the padded shoulders trend all year long. It's gonna be so wannabe fashionable hipsterish. I may possibly puke.

i can't bring myself to wear a sequin jacket or thigh high boots...

but maybe if i was in my 20's i would...^_^...

the big baubles, biker jkts and statement tights all seem like fun though....

* i'm not gonna go for big shoulder pads either...
Even if you're not in your 20's I still think you could really rock some black flat thigh high boots B)

...but I can't bring myself to wear a sequin jacket, and I'm in my 20's... :ninja: :lol:

Ahhh. I see. Yeah, to me, 99% of style is feeling comfortable in what you're wearing. If you feel like a moron, you'll look like a moron.

Anyway, I know all the little baby hipsters at my school are going to be pulling out the padded shoulders trend all year long. It's gonna be so wannabe fashionable hipsterish. I may possibly puke.

i would absolutely feel like a moron. :lol:

Ida i could imagine you in a little black sequined blazer...something with a really classic cut and with an otherwise really simple, clean outfit. no?

Great article :smile: Personally I adore the idea of big baubles, purely because it means there'll be more Lanvin & Marni-esque necklaces floating around. I love the OTT, superglam necklaces they've both put out this season

was starting to warm to the whole shoulder pad thing until i saw padded shoulders on a myriad of products in primark...sort of feel like now its soo mainstream i would feel uncomfortable wearing it when any tom dick and harry is rocking the same look..i totally feel where gimmethatbag is coming from...all the kids in town that want to be hipsters are gonna be rocking this look
but hey maybe the fact its in primark means i ought to jump on the band wagon it's cheap enough for me to never wear it again

great article.I can pull of most trends but I cant like biker jacket thing.I'd prefer a marine jacket :smile: (or in other name band jacket:smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->