• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Fabien Baron - Photographer & Creative Director

Interview October 2015
In the Air
Photographer:
Fabien Baron
Stylist: Karl Templer

interviewmagazine.com

Interview October 2015
Rei Kawakubo
Photographer:
Fabien Baron
Model: Julia Bergshoeff
Make-Up: Tom Pecheux
Hair: Anthony Turner

interviewmagazine.com

Interview October 2015
Valentino
Photographer:
Fabien Baron
Model: Maartje Verhoef
Make-Up: Mark Carrasquillo
Hair: Shay Ashual

interviewmagazine.com

Interview February 2016
Bangs!

Photographer: Fabien Baron
Models: Alice Metza, Indre Piskarsk Atte, Irina Kravchenko, Peyton Knight & Mayka Merino
Make-Up: Susie Sobol
Hair: Guido Palau

streeters via Avogadro

Interview February 2016
Riccardo Tisci
Photographer:
Fabien Baron
Models: Mariacarla Boscono, Jamie Bochert, Chris Gray, Adam Adam Auslander, Luca Jamal, John Kolic, Rob Lelle, Shawn Lindo, Damien Medina, Sean Morales, Tyso Oaki, Laurence Rodriguez, Greta Varlese & Dominic Weir
Make-Up: Marla Belt
Hair: Duffy

interviewmagazine.com

Interview March 2016
More Than a Woman

Stylist: Ludivine Poiblanc
Model: Jamilla Hoogenboom
Make-Up: Francelle
Hair: Tomo Jidai

interviewmagazine.com

Interview April 2016
Julia
Photographer:
Fabien Baron
Stylist: Ludivine Poiblanc
Model: Julia Bergshoeff
Make-Up: Sally Branka
Hair: Shon

dnamodels.com

Interview April 2016
Rick Owens
Photographer:
Fabien Baron
Stylist: Miguel Enamorado
Models: Anna Cleveland, Hanne Gaby Odiele, Katlin Aas, Binx Walton & Natalie Westling
Make-Up: Mark Carrasquillo
Hair: Anthony Turner

interviewmagazine.com

Interview May 2016
Models & Designer: Molly Blair, Odette Pavlova, Sam Clay, Xavier Buestel, Roberto Sipos & Kim Jones
Stylist: Miguel Enamorado
Hair: James Pecis
Grooming: Cicci
Makeup: Mark Carrasquilo
Manicure: Eri Handa

interviewmagazine.com

Interview June/July 2016
Black Magic
Photographer:
Fabien Baron
Models: Kelin Dillon, Irene Hiemstra, Paige Daniels, Nariman Malanov & Tennyson Crofoot
Make-Up: Susie Sobol
Hair: Guido Palau

streeters.com

Interview june/july 2016

BLACK MAGIC
PHOTOGRAPHER: FABIEN BARON
MODELS: IRENE HIEMSTRA, KELIN DILLON, PAIGE DANIELS, NARIMAN MALANOV, TENNYSON CROFOOT
STYLING: KARL TEMPLER
HAIR: GUIDO PALAU
MAKE UP: SUSIE SOBOL

EDITORIAL IN HQ.

VISUALIZING.FASHION

From Madonna’s ‘Sex’ book and Kate Moss’ Calvin Klein campaign: Fabien Baron on 40 years in fashion

The sought-after art director’s new book looks back on a four-decade career
  • Baron says glossy magazines are in decline as brands now create their own content; as for influencers, they’re too generic and not luxury enough, he says
Vincenzo La Torre
Published: 7:00pm, 12 Oct, 2019

The son of a newspaper art director, Baron moved to New York in his early 20s to try his luck as an image-maker but also to move out of his father’s shadow, a strong figure who has loomed large.

“I was in awe of him,” says Baron. “He was tough and I always wanted to do better than him and I became an art director because he was one – if he had been an architect I would probably have done that. I understood that I couldn’t be myself under such a powerful character. He was great, and strong, but I needed a clean sheet and a new place, and I had to feel alone. That’s how I felt when I moved here in my 20s, like an immigrant. I understood what it felt like moving to a new country. It takes a long time to adapt but it makes you stronger, more flexible, less judgmental, more open to the world.”

SUBSCRIBE TO POST MAGAZINE
Get updates direct to your inbox

By registering, you agree to our T&C and Privacy Policy
Baron’s open mindset is not something the fashion world has always embraced, but it has been forced to contend with more inclusive social attitudes, where cultural appropriation and blackface references will bring trouble.

“We are careful with all that we do and I look at some of the work that I did in the past and feel I couldn’t do it today, and wouldn’t want to,” says Baron. “I like this idea of the world as one and the reason you have racism is that there are so many people still holding on to the past.”

Even in commercial terms the fashion world has been myopic. “If you go back 20 years, you didn’t even think about China in the luxury world and look at it now, it’s all about China,” says Baron. “Back then it was only Europe and America talking to one another across the pond.”

While Baron has been taking photographs since he was 17, he is first and foremost an art director, “telling the story of a product in ways that are surprising, interesting and artistic”. Whether it’s a Dior campaign or designing a perfume bottle for Calvin Klein, Baron’s job is to define the visual DNA of a product.

“Brands now have to create content, and that’s why traditional magazines are in decline,” he says. “Brands have a voice and a point of view and an opinion, which they can express through different channels; instead of paying magazines for advertising they’re producing their own content, which feels closer to what the brand is about.”

Baron says all visual content that photographers, stylists and art directors produce for the pages of glossy publications now reaches a wider audience on Instagram, whether it’s a Vogue cover or a Gucci campaign.

But what of the influencers, who with their millions of followers wield more power than magazines and whose loyal audiences relate to their candid, unfiltered images?

“It’s going to run its course because it’s too generic and not luxury enough,” says Baron. “The dream factor needs to come from the brands in a very precise way that you haven’t seen before. Gucci understands this very well. Their Instagram is not middle of the road with some random influencers saying, ‘Look at my shoes.’ It is well produced with a strong point of view. If brands don’t get that right they lose their power and are finished.”

South China Morning Post

^

Thanks for posting Benn98! I didn't know he had a book out-I'll wait for it to come down from $173 on amazon!

Zara Beauty Stories 2021: The Call

Photography: Fabien Baron
Makeup: Diane Kendal
Models: Georgia Palmer, Lola Nicon, Nikki, Maty Fall Diba, Yilan, Hirschy, Nora Attal, Julia, Sora Choi

zara

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->